GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EOC light in extreme cold?

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
EDIT: EPC* light... Damn phone

I live in the Northeast where this snowstorm just hit and temps are in the negatives. Turned my car on to move it and the engine was running rough but I figured it was just cold so I left it on to let the engine warm up. Ran for about 15 minutes then when I went to move it back after shoveling, it was still running very rough and the EPC light was on. Turned the car off then on again and the light didn't come back on. I revved it a few times and everything seemed fine. Looking to see if this has happened to anyone else or not. As of right now I plan on just keeping an eye on it and see if it comes back on it if there are any changes in performance but I may change my mind depending on replies. Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
this happened to me the other night, but it was around 58 degrees out. My light came on for about 20 seconds, i shut the car off and then on to see if it would go away, and after about a few seconds the EPC light went away and the car started driving fine again. Did you pull any codes to see what happened?

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
this happened to me the other night, but it was around 58 degrees out. My light came on for about 20 seconds, i shut the car off and then on to see if it would go away, and after about a few seconds the EPC light went away and the car started driving fine again. Did you pull any codes to see what happened?
No, I don't have any way to read codes at home. The light hasn't come back on for you since?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
it hasn't, but I haven't driven it since then. the next morning I ordered Audi Rs3 coil packs, and I am going to replace the spark plugs in a couple of weeks when I switch out to the EQT turbo. I haven't changed my plugs in 12k miles, I think that might be the culprit, but not sure.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I thought more about it and there was a lot of snow covering my front end. Wondering if a restriction in air flow triggered an MAF fault? I'm due for service anyways so I may have VW check it out. Drove it this morning though and had no issues. Engine started hard initially but I'm pretty certain that was my battery being ice cold. Hopefully it was just a one off thing for the both of us.

bluekid99

Drag Race Newbie
Mine does it once in a while when it gets frigid cold. Did it yesterday but as soon as i moved it and then restarted the car went away. I wouldn't worry too much

RobC2017

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought more about it and there was a lot of snow covering my front end. Wondering if a restriction in air flow triggered an MAF fault? I'm due for service anyways so I may have VW check it out. Drove it this morning though and had no issues. Engine started hard initially but I'm pretty certain that was my battery being ice cold. Hopefully it was just a one off thing for the both of us.

I installed a battery blanket a little while ago. Having a warm battery helps a lot. It was -35c here a few nights ago and no problems starting in the morning.

Battery blankets were being discussed in this thread....
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48321&page=3

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I never even thought of a battery warmer. Probably extends the life of the battery in colder climates as well. Definitely going to look more into this, thanks.