GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Swap TSI -to R

joelious

Car(s)
Mk7
Basically you are building a Clubsport (R engine without AWD)

You are UK based..so want ever you do you will have to inform DVLA as the engine capacity will not match the DVLA records..& insurance will be interesting also..

You will need a whole front end basically...& (rear brakes)

engine
gearbox
drivers side (UK) 2wd take off flange/drive shaft to replace AWD prop shaft take off box (between gearbox & drivers side drive shaft)
lower bumper oil cooler
lower DSG cooler if going DSG
wiring looms
ECU
Dash clocks
Whole braking package from R or GTi PP..or at least R rears & Porsche Macan fronts
Aluminium front hub carriers
New front struts,
New front wheel bearings

You don't state which "TSI" you have..so if it is a base model that has torsion beam rear you'll need a whole multi-link rear subframe/suspension also...

If you are having DSG then you have to fit the two aux coolers (which are in the two lower "R" ducts somewhere...if Manual gearbox, then just get a Mocal or VWRacing Aux cooler to sit in the central lower grill...

Access to someone who can perform component protection removal & key the alarm & make the electronics talk to each other instead of immobilising the whole car, also code out the AWD system.

Good Information.
Manual 1.4 TSI 122 2015.
Has the Multi-link suspension.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Rear brakes won't be up to the job as still smaller than the basic GTI brakes..

are you going manual or DSG?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Basically you are building a Clubsport (R engine without AWD)

You are UK based..so want ever you do you will have to inform DVLA as the engine capacity will not match the DVLA records..& insurance will be interesting also..

You will need a whole front end basically...& (rear brakes)

engine
gearbox
drivers side (UK) 2wd take off flange/drive shaft to replace AWD prop shaft take off box (between gearbox & drivers side drive shaft)
lower bumper oil cooler
lower DSG cooler if going DSG
wiring looms
ECU
Dash clocks
Whole braking package from R or GTi PP..or at least R rears & Porsche Macan fronts
Aluminium front hub carriers
New front struts,
New front wheel bearings

You don't state which "TSI" you have..so if it is a base model that has torsion beam rear you'll need a whole multi-link rear subframe/suspension also...

If you are having DSG then you have to fit the two aux coolers (which are in the two lower "R" ducts somewhere...if Manual gearbox, then just get a Mocal or VWRacing Aux cooler to sit in the central lower grill...

Access to someone who can perform component protection removal & key the alarm & make the electronics talk to each other instead of immobilising the whole car, also code out the AWD system.

sounds like it's not worth it

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
not worth it to some....if OP loves modding it's up to him. Back when I hung out with the Mustang crew I had a buddy that turned a rental Mustang Vert into a manual with a turbo and custom paint/interior/etc. He did it for the Love of modding not because it made sense to us.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
But this isn't some exotic (fun)swap.

You can literally already buy the car in this configuration.

This is like buying a 4 cyl Mustang with the intent of swapping in the 5.0.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I can't talk as I was going to fit a Golf R AWD & engine to my MK7 2WD estate 5yrs ago (found a damaged "R" hatch car for £6,000)...mind you that was before they released the "R" estate..but mine would have been manual & kept the basic bumpers front & rear.....so stealth.

& then a few years later a forum member on here in USA bought a basic damaged GSW & a crashed "R", & made a GSW "R"...

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
OP said "or" legally my use of "and" changes the meaning of his request.

1. It's the internet, who pays attention to what the OP originally wanted

2. BadHombre started it

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Not sure about the UK...but here in the US...you can buy an entire front end of the car from a wrecker. If you can find something like that...you would basically have everything you need to do the swap.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Engine, brakes, ECU, IC, IC plumbing, TCU tune, suspension, installation, re-coding, coolant, oil, spark plugs, fuel pump, differential, and all of the installation and labor costs for things that you're unable to do yourself. As for the parts listed, it's a waste of money to buy OEM parts when the aftermarket will cost basically the same and perform better. And forget about pushing 300+ HP through an open diff. It's just not worth it.

All of the above are going to cost quite a bit of money, to the point where it's just not cost effective to do so. Add all of those up and it just doesn't make sense when you can put that money towards a used R. Trade your TSI in and put the mod money with it and you can afford a used R.