GOLFMKV

Engine Mount -- Is It Done?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am thinking about them haha :)

DSG

Will likely replace them regardless as I'm quite thorough (even replaced the haldex and propshaft flex plates), just curious if there's a way I can tell as there are no obvious signs from inspecting them visually.

If you have the DSG just have the car in gear with your left foot on the brake and rev the engine and see how much movement the engine has. With a manual you would have to set the emergency brake and do the same thing.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If you have the DSG just have the car in gear with your left foot on the brake and rev the engine and see how much movement the engine has. With a manual you would have to set the emergency brake and do the same thing.
Put a manual car is gear while standing still?

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Engine movement seems pretty mild, but given my mileage going with some new parts for peace of mind. Ended up ordering a GTI CS/CSS engine mount, seemed like a sweet between performance, OEM reliability and affordability. Will pair this with OEM Febi trans mount. Ideally would like to replace the dogbone mounts but looks like that's a shop job as subframe needs to come out to press the upper one...

5Q0199262DG
Febi 38515

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
well golly maybe thats why i've had terrible NVH since i installed my 034's and feel like im' getting more and more engine rocking...

*goes to visually inspect 034 mounts but decides halfway to the garage to just buy the BFI's*

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Yep count me in. Damn. I bought the 034 set used. Bad idea. Is the trans side mount also prone to failure becayse its a son of a _ to install!
20200805_210232.jpg

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Is that group buy discount still happening? If so I am in.

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I recently went with BFI stage 1 full mounts on Both trans and engine side. As others have said nvh is not bad, you do hear some added engine sounds transmitting to the motor but they work well.

not the experience with the company for customer service...I did have an issue with the trans side center bolt loosening up and shifting the mount and the driver side mount top half was sitting loose once installed, to where you could move it With you finger. Contacted customer service and they said it was no big deal the trans mount shifted like that and to just straighten and tighten back down, no in the SAME breath - he tells me it’s normal
For the driver side to have pay on some cars, and the idea that the mount is essentially just sitting on the bottom mount with voids in the top is ok( voids in which create the excessive moment with zero resistance in terms of 70a ratings on the poly)

I try to tighten that bolt down to fix the void and to my surprise it’s not possible to tighten it down any more as I break 2 different Allen sockets trying to. Recently they changed the driver side mount to al Allen bolt (looks better) and I think whats happening it’s that bolt is maxed out on its threads so you cannot tighten anymore.

I explained that issue to BFI and again then say the void is fine, but don’t want to address the issue of the bolt threads being maxed out... I told him that the void is still creating the extra un wanted movement and it’s still letting the motor slightly buckle ... He proceeds to tell me the movement issue is not due to the void and something else is wrong with my car, I showed him the vid above where the stock mounts where causing the drivetrain to slap around and he tells me that’s normal and I misdiagnosed my problem... and now still 1-2 months later, I’m still waiting to hear back from them on what to do about the bolt being maxed out.
ended up stuffing some 1/16” sheet pieces of rubber in the mount between the bushing and the top plate, and thats fixed the issue...but for $600 bucks I don’t think that should have been my fix.

I should have got these as the design for a motor mount that has a mounting method that takes a the horizontal loads into account as well is pretty common and proven all around the car industry VS having just a single vertical bolt.

I was not sure about the shipping timing On these when I got then and I was in a rush to get the mounts so I went BFI, but should have just waited.

https://cp-e.com/shop/product/cp-e-xflex-volkswagen-mk7-passenger-side-mount/

Anyone have any comments or experience with this brand or the mount design? I see they are recommended in the Focus/Fiesta ST community. Would it be superior to BFI?

slow12s

Ready to race!
I'd be in for a group buy as well, going to be replacing my clutch in the near future so looking at mount options right now

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Anyone have any comments or experience with this brand or the mount design? I see they are recommended in the Focus/Fiesta ST community. Would it be superior to BFI?
literally have never seen or heard of these prior to randomly finding them, so I doubt anyone on the board has actual feedback.