GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ecohitch question

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
Do I need the support brackets for just a 1up bike rack or anything else?

How much heavier is the 2"?
Does it stick out any further than the 1.25?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gdfraser

Ready to race!
I would install the support brackets for sure; not sure why you wouldn't? They will help with restricting any twisting motion the rack will induce into the hitch. I have the 1.25" version so cannot comment on the 2" questions. Personally I think the 1.25" is much easier on the eyes on a small car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KlipZ

Ready to race!

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
I got and like the 2" EcoHitch -- don't know its weight -- and use it just for bicycles and fishing gear: full rear 2 medium.jpg

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
Why did you go with the 2"? I'm flipfloping between 1.25" and 2"

My main purpose for this hitch will be for a 1UP USA bike rack. plan to carry one or two bikes. If I go with more than 2 bikes, I'll need to get a 2" hitch.

I don't plan to pull a camper, but I have found some light weight ones under 2000 lbs.
The 1.25" would certainly look better, but if the 2.0 is more versatile ...why not go that route?

Can I purchase a light up cover for a 2" hitch? Was thinking the bigger hitch could be masked by a light/reflector like Nissan 370Z's have.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Perhaps the 2" can better handle the torque of stuff bouncing/shifting while on the road. In any case, for me it means no extra adaptors for my cargo tray, bike rack, or rod rack.

PS: Now I have a simple rubber plug for the mount when nothing's attached -pretty stealthy which I like.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'll have to add this one to my eventual list of research. I already have the Curt and Draw-Tite hitch on my list to look into. The Curt seems to be the most visible and least hidden. The Draw-Tite looks very similar to the EcoHitch, but I don't see that it comes with any support brackets.

I'll only be using it for a 1up single bike rack with a DS MTB.

Edit: Looks like the EcoHitch doesn't spec a special part number for the GTI. I thought there was something different about the muffler or valance that meant it had to be different than a Golf. The Draw-Tite is also half the price of the EcoHitch; not sure on the discrepancy there.

zeeme

Passed Driver's Ed
The Ecohitch is $25 off for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday. $250 total. Not much, but it gets closer to the draw tight.

Parts numbers for the MK7 are suppose to be x7309 and x7310.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk