GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DWB - Driving while being Black?

Was this a clear case of prejudice?

• Yes. Cop (even though he was Hispanic) was being racist

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • No. This happens to everyone...ok, well...a lot.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
I see this is beginning to turn into racism debate thread, and which race experiences more prejudice, and all that kind of bullshit. In which case, I'm in before this gets ugly, or locked.

I gave you probably the most reasonable cause you were stopped, and I doubt it was because of the color of your skin.

Please do not go off in a tangent about how racism has grossly affected your life, as everyone from every race, unless sheltered among people of their own color, has experienced such a thing. I am white, and have experienced racism on several occasions. I get absolutely zero perks for being white, unless it's being able to drive through the backwoods parts of the sticks without being hassled by the local "good ole'boys." Even that is not guaranteed.

In summation, do not discuss how this has devastated and altered your outlook on the world, as it happens to everyone. If it's too much for you handle, you're gonna have to either suck it up and get over it, or just live in this paranoid, skeptical existence you've so far demonstrated. I showed you sympathy at first, as there are such things as dick cops, but I believe you were probably more so stopped for being a car full of kids driving around late at night. That's a prime target for police attention.

I hear you, but regardless, the whole thing really should never have happened in the first place. period. I don't think the officer meant to profile me necessarily-- in fact, it was his "oh shoot, my bad" sort of attitude at the end made me realize that he was not a bad cop. I harbor no ill-will towards him at all. There is something about that brief encounter I think, a take-home lesson in the story, and it's not that "shit happens". The big picture question is what is reasonable, and what actions cross that line. Not to change the subject, but I am also one of those people who doesn't go through the body scan at airports either.

A_Bowers

I told myself that I wasn't going to wade in on this caca storm, but we have an African America President. Several if not hundreds of AfAm politicians and CEOs.

The whole black vs white is over. The cop may have had a bad day, he needed to meet his quota, etc...

Point is the Race card is moot now. Has been for a long time.

He pulled you over, great. Did you get a ticket, no.

Move on, there are more important things Going on that affect all of us as Americans not just one race or another.

/rant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Grownman

Ready to race!
Ok this is very tricky! Profiled or looked suspicious? Is there really a difference? I really don't think so. Car load of kids driving what most would classify as a pretty expensive automobile, temp tag, polictally outspoken bumper stickers.

Time and place and all of the above obviously made the Police Officer suspicious. If I am not mistaken most temp tags can't be run on the Officer's computer because the info doesn't get imputed fast enough. A quick check and a Thank you.

Well, I applaud this Police Officer for at least being proactive looking for bad guys, rather then hiding under a tree or sipping coffee with his buds at Double D's or 711. Honestly I don't think it would have been any different if it was car load of white kids.

I am not saying that driving while black does not occurr because it has been proven it does. But in this case I would have to say no racial profiling occurred.

Proactive/community policing :thumbsup:

Police state is not the answer. Respect the officers of the law, but fight for your rights when they are UNJUSTLY encroached upon.

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
OP suffers from hyperbolic preoccupation with race, resulting in histrionics, paranoia, and delusions of traumatization and victimhood.

Do Work Son

Go Kart Champion
Wait wait wait. The OP is 39 years old and was taking college freshmen friends to a party? If I were a cop I'd have pulled you over too for just being sketchy.

/no offense

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Wait wait wait. The OP is 39 years old and was taking college freshmen friends to a party? If I were a cop I'd have pulled you over too for just being sketchy.

/no offense

3 Freshmen, 1 Junior in High School.
2 of them are my adopted sons.
I never said I was driving them to a party, I said we driving past the row.
This place is a dickfest.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I'm white and got pulled over on my university campus (this was in July and I graduated in May) because I had NJ temp paper plates (bought the car there) on my car while I go to school in NY...he even told me he was just doing a regular check and was very polite about it and even asked about my radar detector :D

If the cop was being a dick he would have made you rip off the temp from the windshield...he was just doing his job.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
My opinion: he saw a loaded car late at night. He may have confused the car infront of you for yours, who knows. I don't think its race related. I think you're just paranoid about this being the case for being pulled over for no good reason.

I do believe that dwb is apparent in some cases, I wouldn't necessarily blame this one on that. I feel that my white friends get out of tickets much easier than i do, and I have heard some ridiculous stories where cops make you get out of the vehicle, search you, and let you go w/o any violations...

BTW, you calling him a dbag will only let him remember you and your car better... he'll be on the lookout if he sees you again.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
OP, you live in fucking CALIFORNIA. i have been pulled over for no reason so many times ive lost count. its just routine check that they do to random people, you just happened to get picked out of a crowd. just be glad you didn't get a stupid ticket of any sort that the law enforcement enjoys to give out. shit happens here im used to it.