GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dsg to manual

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Don't know the price but it would be prohibitive. The shifter and interior trim. A DSG TCU and I'm not sure but possibly an ECU. You're better off getting a new car. Guessing around 10K minimum.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Why would you want to downgrade? “Heritage” and clinging to the past is why we can’t have a mustang with a twin turbo v6 and infinite potential or a turbo cayman that would mop the floor with any 911 ever made.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
It's cost prohibitive. You would not only need all the obvious hardware, but you would also need to swap the engine control module and countless other small items.

I mean maybe if you sold your DSG, did all the work yourself, and bought all used parts you could do it. But I don't think I've seen anyone (on here at least) do something like that before so you would be on your own in that regard. But hey there’s a first time for everything.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 6MT but it is not worth the hassle and expense on maybe a 8-15k car. The DSG is gud enuf. Good luck

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
it's not a downgrade if it makes the car more enjoyable to drive (y)
If by more enjoyable you mean wearing transmission fluid when you have to change the clutch to run a stage 1 flash and still be half a second slower than an equivalent dsg car then ok.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
wearing transmission fluid when you have to change the...
Clearly spoken as someone who not actually done a clutch job or understands it’s placement between the trans and engine 😂😂😂

In that’s case, you’ll wear motor oil too. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
We positive that ECU has to be swapped? I'm done more digging around than I care to mention in VCDS and there is coding in the engine module, among other places for DSG or Manual, and beyond that 6MT or 5MT.

This is not to say that I'm interested in any transmission changes but I'm interested in the exercise for those with the money and want.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
We positive that ECU has to be swapped? I'm done more digging around than I care to mention in VCDS and there is coding in the engine module, among other places for DSG or Manual, and beyond that 6MT or 5MT.

This is not to say that I'm interested in any transmission changes but I'm interested in the exercise for those with the money and want.
Even if the ECU can be coded it will still need a TCU. It's just so cost prohibitive it makes more sense to get a car that has a DSG.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion

This exact swap has actually been successfully done and documented.
Up to you if the effort is worth it.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
And what was the cost?
Going off their last video in the series, $600 for the transmission (came with an OEM clutch), pedal assembly $60, shift box+cables $115, starter $65, Transmission bolts+bracket $75. Misc bolts/clamps $50.

Totaled out to to $965. Furthermore they didn't swap wiring harnesses, simply coded in manual through OBD11 and ran a U-jumper from the DSG loom to spoof the ECU into starting the car without needing a clutch position sensor.