GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG shifts

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
So I always drive in manual mode with my DSG '19, but the shifts aren't always as nice as I would like them to be. I understand that when driving more slowly/less throttle the shifts will be softer (though I would like if this wasn't the case), but I've found that even when driving hard that the shifts aren't as hard and crisp as I'd expect.

The up shift is quick, but rather than revving down instantly and powering back up, sometimes it sort of just gradually revs down and there isn't that crisp, locked feel from the transmission (sorry if that's a bad description). The reason I wonder if there's something I'm not getting here is because sometimes it does shift very nicely and strong/hard - I just wish it was like that every time!

A couple things: I'm running JB4 map 3 on a stock car, could this be a symptom of heat soak? Also I have the car in sport mode.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have read that the factory shift program is different for the new 7-speed DSG. It is supposedly softer/smoother than the older 6-speed boxes.

I don't know if this can be reprogrammed with an aftermarket DSG tune, or if maybe that's in development.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd bring this over to the jb4 thread in engine discussion, but there's a possibility you should run map4 if the 19 has the 7speed dsg.

It does have 7 speed DSG, but George said map 3 should be good on my car.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing I have, because maybe it's "normal."

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Try both maps and see if there is a difference. Could be something optimized for the DSG7 in Map 4. Dunno.

No firsthand knowledge with shift behavior of new 7-spd, but I do know that when it gets hot AF the shifts in manual mode are a whole lot slower/softer on my DSG6 w/JB4. Doesn't really matter which map I use either so probably not affected by the JB4, but more temp related. Could be the higher boost the ECU delivers due to hotter IATs and ECU tells TCU to shift a bit softer for self preservation. Again, dunno.

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
I've had 2 MK7s with the 6pseed DSG and have put over 13k miles on my 2019 w/7speed DSG. I can confidently say that the 7-speed DSG shifts slower. It is disappointing! Sometimes the clutch engagement from 1-2 upshift is SO slow under fairly light throttle position it feels like a CVT in that I'm ready for 3rd by the time the clutches fully engage. I have tried both Integrated Engineering & APR DQ381 DSG tunes and returned both partially because neither of them addressed the slow shifting issue. I hope one of the DSG tunes will eventually tackle this issue.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll give it a shot in map 4 as well, and stock as well I suppose. So the WEIRD part to me is, like I said, sometimes it shifts really nicely! I just wish it would shift that way every single time I hit a paddle.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I'll give it a shot in map 4 as well, and stock as well I suppose. So the WEIRD part to me is, like I said, sometimes it shifts really nicely! I just wish it would shift that way every single time I hit a paddle.

Do you have VCDS or OBD11? Try a DSG reset and see what happens. Resets adaptations and seems to "clean" things up a bit, at least for mine anyway.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't - maybe I'll look into getting it. Is that a phone app with adapter type deal?

Has anyone else experienced what I'm talking about here either? It doesn't sound like it, which makes me think this is more irregular than I initially thought.

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
I don't - maybe I'll look into getting it. Is that a phone app with adapter type deal?

OBD11 is Android app based and works on phone or small tablet well. VCDS is PC only and most use a small laptop.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I have read on multiple forums the new 7-speed DSG is less responsive. Why did they switch to a 7-speed? Does it get slightly better mpg?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have read on multiple forums the new 7-speed DSG is less responsive. Why did they switch to a 7-speed? Does it get slightly better mpg?

Probably better mileage but also better gear spacing.