GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG Oil & Filter change

kactussjack

I have a '17 R with 23,500 miles on it. It is coming up on 4 years old this fall and I am wondering whether the DSG oil change should be based on mileage or age, since it would nominally be due after 4 years per the VW maintenance schedule.

Thanks.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Since you are coming up on time, wouldn't be a bad idea. Being from PA, you have quite the seasonal fluxuation. So whether with time or mileage would be of great benefit.
If you were to do that, you would probably just opt to do the Haldex at the same time?

ice raptor

Passed Driver's Ed
They put time or mileage on the services for a reason. Id recommend doing it as well. Just make sure you use OEM DSG oil and filter. The aftermarket stuff is not good.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Jack, I'm always for rather being safe than sorry, and I'd tell you to do the haldex at the same time. Then again, when I brought my R in for a DSG and Haldex fluid change, the guy at the service desk told me that most customers never have their Haldex fluid changed, unless it's brought to their attention during service for something else. Make sure that the dealer recalibrates your DSG with the fluid change; it's a quick electronic adjustment which measures the width of the clutch plates and adjusts for wear. It should be done with the DSG service, but sometimes they just do the fluid without the tune-up, which should be included in the price.

BTW, which dealership do you go to for warranty service: Piazza in Ardmore or Cherry Hill VW?

kactussjack

Al- I've been going to Garnet VW in Chadds Ford since it is close to home. So far it's just been oil change, tire rotation, and inspection. Any idea what the DSG oil change & Haldes oil change shouldcost?

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Are you asking Cost @Dealer or Cost yourself?
@Dealer (Approx)
Haldex = $150+tax
DSG = $350+Tax

Yourself
Both for $220 w/fluid, filter, Haldex replacement screws, hoses, DSG fill tool & hoses, and DSG Filter.
It would be less on subsequent changes as all you would need would be: Filter, replacement screws, and Fluid.

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Al- I've been going to Garnet VW in Chadds Ford since it is close to home. So far it's just been oil change, tire rotation, and inspection. Any idea what the DSG oil change & Haldes oil change shouldcost?
If I remember right, it was just below $400 for both at Piazza in Ardmore. I have a great local mechanic, but some things you just want to go to a dealer for, or as Hollywood0220 suggests do it at home. If you do choose to DIY, check out the videos at Deutstche Auto Parts, as he goes through the process step-by-step (plus he sells kits to do both).

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
I'm not going to DIY. Guess I should shop around. There are several dealers in the area. Garnet, D'Ambrosio, Piazza, Smith in DE, Fred Beans, VW Newtown Square.

I’d call around for some good independent shops for pricing before going to the dealer. They typically charge an arm and a leg. Smith vw in particular tends to rape on pricing, they wanted like $400+ just to flash to Apr stage 2. Yea, no thanks. You’re in pa, there’s awe, RT tuning, autospeed in voorhees, all good options and prob a good chunk less than the dealer.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
I'm not going to DIY. Guess I should shop around. There are several dealers in the area. Garnet, D'Ambrosio, Piazza, Smith in DE, Fred Beans, VW Newtown Square.
One of them will eventually be slightly more competitive. Just simple phone calls and you will need to talk to both the service & parts depts to get your NET cost.

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
I’d call around for some good independent shops for pricing before going to the dealer. They typically charge an arm and a leg. Smith vw in particular tends to rape on pricing, they wanted like $400+ just to flash to Apr stage 2. Yea, no thanks. You’re in pa, there’s awe, RT tuning, autospeed in voorhees, all good options and prob a good chunk less than the dealer.
Woh! >$400 for a Flash? + cost of the file? Holy smokes

Shmito_R

Go Kart Champion
Woh! >$400 for a Flash? + cost of the file? Holy smokes

Forgot the exact price but I want to say it was like $450 file included, cost of flash is suppose to be like $100 so they were gonna charge $350 for “labor” lmao....yea less than an hour to hook up the cable and hit flash....I was shopping around to try and get my awe dp installed and flashed before they pulled the stage 2 tunes. They wanted $750+ to do the dp install and flash....yea fugggg that. Autospeed I believe was the most reasonable but I’ll install the dp myself once my shop is up and running and spend that money on an ap and eqt tune.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
They put time or mileage on the services for a reason. Id recommend doing it as well. Just make sure you use OEM DSG oil and filter. The aftermarket stuff is not good.
What's wrong with the aftermarket equivalent fluids/filters? Liquimoly DSG fluid should be just fine for example. I didn't think there was time on the DSG, only mileage (40K)?

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Yep...and No hardware with it. Safe tunes, but not the pinnacle of anything. You also need to pay addt’l to the middle men - no thanks.