GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG jumping out of gear on take off

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Ah ok. You have stop/start. Does it do this every time? Can you eliminate it by how you release the brake? What happens when you disable stop/start?
It does it probably 50% of the time? More when it's on an incline vs downhill. Disabling start/stop reduces the frequency but it still occasionally does it.

Cmich67

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
@tigeo This has been happening since last few weeks for me after going stage 2 (IE TCU tuned and stage 2). I also found if at red lights I ease into it once green it doesn’t clunk and hesitate. I noticed it only happens if I hold break hard and RPMS drop. If I hold break lighter and idle around 8-900 rpms and ease into it no issues. The break theory makes sense in this case. I also noticed that when it clunks/hesitates the S1/D1 quickly flashes to just S/D when it occurs. Kind of annoying if I’m trying to run from a dig. After reading through 19 pages I’m glad to hear others with the same issue. Spent like a hour trying to describe the issue through a google search and weed through non related issues lol

Cmich67

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
@tigeo This has been happening since last few weeks for me after going stage 2 (IE TCU tuned and stage 2). I also found if at red lights I ease into it once green it doesn’t clunk and hesitate. I noticed it only happens if I hold break hard and RPMS drop. If I hold break lighter and idle around 8-900 rpms and ease into it no issues. The break theory makes sense in this case. I also noticed that when it clunks/hesitates the S1/D1 quickly flashes to just S/D when it occurs. Kind of annoying if I’m trying to run from a dig. After reading through 19 pages I’m glad to hear others with the same issue. Spent like a hour trying to describe the issue through a google search and weed through non related issues lol
*brake - brains not working at this hour

tigeo

Autocross Champion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I never have had an issue with launch control/dig racing due to this. Only a random occasional issue that I control by how I release the brake. And yes, the D1/S1 with quickly flash to D/S for that millisecond.

Cmich67

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
You know you can just go back and edit your post.
ah good to know. I’ve never had an issue launching from a dig yet either with it. But slowly releasing the break solves it for me. I’m curious why it just started recently - maybe this issue is more tune related? Or just DSGs being DSGs.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
ah good to know. I’ve never had an issue launching from a dig yet either with it. But slowly releasing the break solves it for me. I’m curious why it just started recently - maybe this issue is more tune related? Or just DSGs being DSGs.
I believe it's a quirk of the DSG not being a regular auto...in the end it can't engage that clutch perfectly 100% of the time and sometimes it just gets "scared" it will stall so backs it off. Just my hypothesis of course...

Last edited:

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I believe it's a quick of the DSG not being a regular auto...in the end it can't engage that clutch perfectly 100% of the time and sometimes it just gets "scared" it will stall so backs it off. Just my hypothesis of course...
Agreed.

Back in the day, the bmw smg needed like 1500 rpm before releasing the brake on slight inclines, otherwise you could literally stall the car out.

At the end of the day, the human foot seems to be better at feeling clutch engagement than a computer. Maybe one day we'll have AI reading our facial expressions to get our thoughts of the measure of clutch activation happening and adjust perfectly. Or we'll all go electric and be boring. 🤷‍♂️

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Has anyone tried raising the idle RPMs? Maybe it'll help smoothen the clutch engagement?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Funny...my son home for Thanksgiving break drives my car (I'm in it) and causes this issue multiple times taking off from a start. Never happens to me anymore....all on that brake release!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Funny...my son home for Thanksgiving break drives my car (I'm in it) and causes this issue multiple times taking off from a start. Never happens to me anymore....all on that brake release!
Mine still hasn't reoccured with the cold weather coming in. I can drop the brake and the worst that happens is that it bogs as it gets into gear now, but it doesn't do the gear in, gear out, gear in dance anymore.

Seems the weaker rear brakes and stock obd11 brake settings solved it for me (except for straight ahead stabilization off). I also notice is does the bogging more when the hand brake has been pulled after brakes are warm. I now let it roll into position after parking and then verrrrrry gently pull the handbrake just enough to engage and I don't yank it up like I used to.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
So I never had this issue and it showed up when cold after a Trans fluid change. It's likely either fill level or the VW fluid is different from the stock fill.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So I never had this issue and it showed up when cold after a Trans fluid change. It's likely either fill level or the VW fluid is different from the stock fill.
Coincidence isn't necessarily causation. This thread is full of various scenarios showing that these 2 (fill level and fluid brand/type) aren't dead-ringers for a cause.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Then just another data point.