GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG: forgot release parking brake

rllu

Did a stupid thing yesterday. I was getting my new wheels put on and they needed me to back up a tad to center my car on their floor lift. I tried to roll back a bit but my car wouldn’t budge. I kept giving it more gas and nearly floored the thing until I realized my e-parking brake wasn’t released.... because my door was open.

I’m so used to my parking brake automatically turning off that I forgot as a safety measure it does not when the drivers door is open. Lesson learned.

I’m not experiencing any clutch slip in higher gears, I’m APR stg1. Anything else I should be worried about?

Pics for clicks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r12rex

Go Kart Newbie
Unlikely, if you aren't experiencing any slip or any unusual DSG habits (except the usual ones) I wouldn't worry about it :)

Nice wheels! What size and tire size did you go with?

Kind Regards,
Ryan

rllu

the DSG is ok...
flooring a car in a confined space.... is what I am more worried about.

It was a more of a gradual application of throttle until I felt something was odd. Probably within a timeframe of less than 5 seconds.

rllu

Unlikely, if you aren't experiencing any slip or any unusual DSG habits (except the usual ones) I wouldn't worry about it :)

Nice wheels! What size and tire size did you go with?

Kind Regards,
Ryan

Thanks! I went with Neuspeed RSe10s in hyperblack, 18x8.5 et45. Tires are 245/40/18.

Decided to move away from 19s, bent three wheels last year.

relive

Ready to race!
I did something similar, but it was on an incline and one wheel in a ditch, so the load on the clutch was probably similar to having the parking brake on. No warnings during and no symptoms afterward. With the DSG, the fluid takes the abuse, and unless you get a temperature warning on the dash, the clutch packs took no damage.

rllu

I did something similar, but it was on an incline and one wheel in a ditch, so the load on the clutch was probably similar to having the parking brake on. No warnings during and no symptoms afterward. With the DSG, the fluid takes the abuse, and unless you get a temperature warning on the dash, the clutch packs took no damage.

That’s good to hear. I really don’t know much on how these systems work. Time for a YouTube tutorial or two.

vwlotech

Go Kart Newbie
no worries, its all good, I'm stage 2 APR and have had the same thing, except I turned the car off while not in park and the e-brake set, VW expects this to happen from time to time.

Those wheels look good, nice choice!