GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSC Sport/APR Suspension Controller Tuning

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
I recently picked up a DSC Sport controller and have started making some adjustments to the base map on the DSC website. I am also working to parse the datalog data so I can build tools that make histograms, etc for track tuning. The datalog files are simple space delimited text files, so I already did this manually in Excel, but I would like to automate the process and import into a more useful program.

I wanted to gauge interest here for a dedicated thread, or I was considering a discord server, for people actually tuning these.

Not interested with starting a thread about the merits of these controllers, or discussing the fundamentals of how they work. It would just be cool to have space to nerd out on the details with other folks that are tuning these.

EDIT: I have made a set of tools to make tune files easier and quicker, and also a tool that takes the .pmed datalog files and makes them into .csv files.
https://github.com/yakboyslim/YakTUNE/releases/
https://github.com/yakboyslim/YakLOG/releases/

Last edited:

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Figured out an easy way to manually parse the datalog file and make it a csv that datazap can read. Much easier to look at data there. Link below is just a drive around my neighborhood and an on ramp, just as proof of concept that the datalog can be read by datazap.

https://datazap.me/u/yakboyslim/12?log=0&data=

Also, started messing with histograms. Not sure if this will be useful for track days, but may help to determine if high or medium speed damping needs added or removed. I don't even know yet if positive or negative is compression, or if this will even be a useful tool considering the active nature of the damping. No idea if the "artificial" velocity adjustment that DSC does will make this a meaningful adjustment. Still nice to know that it won't be hard to do. If anyone wants to nerd out on suspension histograms
This video is for a driving sim, but the principles should apply similar.

1670473209285.png

Last thing, I was watching a lot of DSC's videos and poking through their base files. They have significantly different G maps for every platform other than the VW platform. I can't think of a reason for this, so I have started making my own maps starting with the "Aggressive Track" map for the Focus RS. I think, at least for the GTI those maps will be a lot better for rotation, especially with a stiffer RSB.

Last edited:

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Hey I'm definitely interested! Been tweaking my file but feels like I'm going in circles when making changes. Unfortunately I'm on B6 dampers though.
Has anyone ever confirmed if the Bilsteins adjust compression and rebound, or is it actually just rebound?

If it is both compression and rebound like OEM shocks the only things that would be unique to it would be the shock calibration and velocity tables right?

I figure it might also be good to come up with a place to share files, I don't know if it makes sense for that in this thread, or if someone has a better idea for that. I got the good tip from DSC that you can open multiple windows of DSC tuner at once, then compare files side-by-side. I think sharing ideas will lead to everyone having better results with these controllers.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It will be a long while before I have time to contribute anything to this thread but I am very excited to see watch/follow what you guys do!

I've got what has (properly) been called Frankenstein suspension on my car, haha. TDI with rear torsion beam but DCC retrofit, on B4 damptronics. I can't remember the user dunned my setup "Frankenstein" but I will find the post and I will credit them.

Anyway, I suspect my car could benefit from some custom DCC tuning assuming I can figure out which way is up.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
I might make a macro to do this, since it is relatively easy, but for now here is a guide on how to get data logs into datazap.
(If anyone on here is a VBA coding wizard I would definitely not turn down the help to make a macro)
  1. Set up your datalogging to get whatever values you are interested in. Not sure if there is a limit, or a tradeoff between number of fields and data rate.
  2. Record data log and save using DSC Tuner
  3. Open an Excel window
  4. Data => Get Data => Launch power query editor.
    1670777321929.png
  5. New Source => From file => Text/CSV
    1670777430845.png
  6. Select your .pmed file
  7. Split Column => By Delimiter
    1670777581792.png
  8. Select each space as the delimiter
    1670777619963.png
  9. Right click and remove the last column
    1670777661913.png
  10. Click "Close and Load"
  11. Select the Column names, that should all be in Column 4. Copy these cells
    1670777735507.png
  12. Paste special, with the transpose function into the cell named "Column1.2" This should replace all the column headers with the labels we just copied
    1670777890812.png
  13. Type "Time" into replace "Column1.1"
  14. Delete all the rows between the column headers and where your actual data starts (The rows that have data in all columns are your data rows
    1670778025308.png
  15. File => Save As => Select "comma separated values" from the drop down and name it whatever you want
    1670778129998.png
  16. This file can now be uploaded to datazap.me and manipulated however you want there.
You can also manipulate this in Excel to make other types of graphs, like histograms, though Excel is kind of clunky at histograms, and datazp is much better at time based representations of things.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Well I went nuts and wrote a .exe in MATLAB that opens a .pmed file, converts it to CSV, makes a few plots and then lets you save the CSV if you would like. It should be a standalone file, that just needs placed in the same folder as the datalogs to run, and it just has a few simple prompts and does everything. I need to test it with a lot of .pmed files to make sure it handles all the possibilities, but this would fully automate the steps above.

The data below is from just normal city driving, so it is totally meaningless. I still need to write a way to set timestamps (for tuning on track that way only actual laps go into the data) but I still need to think about that. The histograms are definitely useful, and making roll/pitch variables in the CSV file will be useful, but not sure if the other plots are gonna be useful at all, but I put them in as of now, and was using them to try to understand the positive/negative sense of the data.

If anyone is interested and willing to test this I can send the file on, just PM me. Once a few people have good results with it I'll post it up somewhere.

1670827155852.png

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
So I am getting pretty close to done tuning the velocity tables and a few things I have learned:
  • You can't set the default rate on the G table to anything higher than 15% (not that you would)
    • It accepts the values, but the controller uses 15% instead
  • The base map velocity table is pretty good
    • DSC must have done a good job tuning this table, perhaps a shock dyno was involved
  • The velocity table does not need big adjustments
    • This means VW/Monroe did a decent job valving the shocks in the first place.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
I also deciphered the G table in the .pdst files. This has allowed me to write some MATLAB code to parametrically generate G tables, which should allow easier tuning than using the DSC tuning software. I just need to figure out the checksum algorithm of the whole .pdst file, once I do that this could be easily copy pasted into an existing .pdst file.
1671343814368.png
1671343825225.png

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I don’t understand but bless you

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Added links to the tools I made.

https://github.com/yakboyslim/YakTUNE/releases/

I need to write a readme for this file, but once installed there is an "ExampleTUNE.csv" file in the program folder. You can copy that wherever and then change the paramaters. Basic idea of this program is you tune in % of total shock capability (0=240 mA and 100=2000 mA) and then it makes that into the correct % and shock calibration table. This way you can change one parameter without effecting others.
It outputs to a ".pdts" file that you can then open in DSC Tuning software, apply any small tweaks and load to the controller from there.

https://github.com/yakboyslim/YakLOG/releases/

This one is simpler. It opens a .pmed file, plots it, then converts it to .csv so you can use it elsewhere more easily.
It asks for a "new" and "old" datalog file. The only thing it uses the "old" file for is the histograms to make it easier to compare the effect of changes.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
A little request for help from any other DSC/APR users - My DSC controller will not use the "normal map", which confusingly is the one that should go with comfort mode on our cars. It instead uses the "sport map" for both comfort and normal, and the "track map" for sport mode. I'm convinced this is a bug with the controller, and looking back at my logs I'm not positive it ever went into comfort mode like it should. I realized this while doing velocity tuning, but prior to that I was convinced something was up since changes to the "normal map" never resulted in a change in how the car felt. Also I never felt a difference in the car between comfort and normal, but definitely felt a change going to sport.

What I need to help me diagnose whether this is just my car or if it is every DSC controller:

1. Load the base map (or any map with 3 different default rates for the maps)
  2. Ensure the shock percentages are being datalogged.
  3. Datalog while the car is on, but not moving.
  4. Change modes. After each mode change wait a few then observe if it changed the shock percentage to the correct default rate. (The shock current will show zero or 10, this is normal for when the car is stopped, we don't care here we need to watch the shock percentage)
If I'm right it will not change when going between comfort and normal, but will change when going to or from sport mode. If anyone is willing to do this all you need is a laptop and a micro usb cable. I can run you through installing the DSC software and setting up the datalogging (all super easy).

Also if you have a DSC controller and haven't connected to it you are doing yourself a disservice anyway, the base map is fine, but only just fine.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is your car a GTI or a Golf R? The reason I ask is because the Golf R, I believe, typically has Comfort Normal and race while a GTI has Comfort Normal and Sport.

These modes, on a stock car or changed via a command (request) from the driving profile data set in the gateway to the DCC module. The factory DCC module, when loaded with the proper data set for a given car, will then respond by going into that mode.

If the DSC controller is only responding to "Golf R" type mode requests then you may not be able to "get into" each mode.

yakboyslim

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, but the bitmask for comfort is the same between the two I'm pretty sure. I get into "track map" just fine when I go to "sport mode", and I get into "sport map" just fine when I go to "normal mode" so I'm 99% sure the problem is not the different naming of the modes.

The way it should work according to DSC:
GTI MODER MODEDSC MAP
ComfortComfrotNormal
NormalNormalSport
SportTrackTrack

But what I get is:

GTI ModeDSC Map
ComfortSport
NormalSport
SportTrack

You would know more about how the modes are communicated between the two in OEM, but I though the comfort mode request would be the same between the two anyway.

I really just need someone to log it. Also if GTI's can't use the modes without changing then DSC needs to fix it or tell people, and this would help me get to the bottom of that too.