GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drivetrain shudder at very low speeds (2016 DSG)

11Mk7

Car(s)
'16 GTI
A couple months ago, my 2016 GTI w/DSG started doing a little shudder at very low speeds (in between full stop and idle/creep speed). Happens almost every time I come to a stop and then again when letting off the brake and starting forward again. It's not violent, but I can feel it and hear it coming from the front of the car. Idle is smooth when I'm fully stopped, and there is no noise/vibration at anything faster than "I just let my foot off the brake" speed. Since this behavior appeared a couple months ago, it has not become discernably better or worse over time.

There are no warning lights on the dash. This shudder happens regardless of whether car was just started or is fully up to temp, and regardless of outdoor temperature (anywhere from 70F a couple months ago to 5F this morning). 40k DSG service was done on schedule. I bought the car with 20k miles on it, and am now a little shy of 60k.

Any ideas?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Do you have an OBD2 tool to do a clutch touchpoint relearn or a full DSG reset? I would start with that and see how it behaves.

Gearbox temp should be over 50c IIRC and foot hard on brake when you do it.

loopless

Passed Driver's Ed
That's really not at all unusual with a DSG. My 2018 with 30K does something not that dissimilar ( and my 2010 Mk6 DSG used to as well) Unless it suddenly gets worse I would not worry about it. To state the obvious, it is not a slush box, and clutches are engaging and disengaging, and slipping at bit to simulate the creep of a regular auto. The wet clutch DSG's are very reliable ( when properly maintained like yours).

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I get the same thing -- a slight shudder. I assumed it was normal and a product of the clutch slipping the transmission into gear.

Tiny1138

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI 3 Dr DSG PP
I bought mine at 3.5 years old and 20k. Started soon after I bought. Did a DSG service before schedule at 27k and hasn’t done it since.