GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Assistance Sensors

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hey All,

2 days ago I was going through a construction/paving site on the highway. While traveling 35mph I hit a pretty good size bump where the new paving met the old paving. My dashboard lit up with indicator lights for my Front Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist, all saying the indicators were out or not functioning properly. The car continued to run fine. I drove about 25 miles to work then another 40 miles home and the lights stayed on. Yesterday while driving through the same section of construction I changed lanes on the highway to try avoiding that area of the bump but still it hit hard. This time my windshield wipers even came on but, ALL the indicator lights turned off!!!

Could I have a loose sensor somewhere in my bumper? This ever happened to anyone else? Should I get the car inspected to make sure there wasn't any further damage done?

Thanks in advance.

-Bake

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Similar experience last weekend; in my case it was the TPMS malfunction light. Jarring gap between asphalt and concrete on a highway entry ramp. About 3 days and 25 miles later, I could finally reset tire pressures and the light went out. 25 miles since them without a light.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Hey All,

2 days ago I was going through a construction/paving site on the highway. While traveling 35mph I hit a pretty good size bump where the new paving met the old paving. My dashboard lit up with indicator lights for my Front Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Assist, all saying the indicators were out or not functioning properly. The car continued to run fine. I drove about 25 miles to work then another 40 miles home and the lights stayed on. Yesterday while driving through the same section of construction I changed lanes on the highway to try avoiding that area of the bump but still it hit hard. This time my windshield wipers even came on but, ALL the indicator lights turned off!!!

Could I have a loose sensor somewhere in my bumper? This ever happened to anyone else? Should I get the car inspected to make sure there wasn't any further damage done?

Thanks in advance.

-Bake

The radar for the front crash system lives behind the front emblem. I'd say you knocked it loose. Are you still under warranty?

I've hit pot holes so hard I just about knocked my teeth out. Threw the alignment out and eventually needed new hubs on both sides of the front end due to bad bearings. Was having vibration issues until they were replaced.

Look for obvious damage, like wheel / tire. Pay close attention to the alignment. Can't hurt to take the car in, but all they are going to do is visually inspect to look for obvious damage. If you request it, you can have an alignment check done. If they find the alignment is out, you can have it done along with the recalibration of the lane assist / radar systems. It's anywhere between $250 - $500 for the full job, though.

I'd say you need to be sure that the radar system isn't loose behind the emblem if you're going to have any work done, however. You can't even remove the front bumper without tripping the system. It's very sensitive. This way, you don't run the risk of spending money just to have the lights come back on later. Use your warranty if you still have it. Obviously, don't tell them that you hit anything.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
So sick of all the software in my 2021 GTI, had the Lane Assist (which you have to defeat every time you start the car) Merging onto a 4 lane freeway the Lane Assist thought that a painted traffic island was the road edge and forced me onto the freeway before it was safe to do so. All these options that are supposed to make driving safer are looking like a goldmine for dealer's service departments.. It's April 2022 now and yesterday my entire infotainment system froze, no car functions, just played the same song over and over on media, would not respond to anything, shut the car off, walk away still playing, I finally left it in the driveway for a half hour and when I came back it had turned off, I HATE Volkswagen's software and can't imagine how bad the Mk8 will be if my '21 is this bad.

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
So sick of all the software in my 2021 GTI, had the Lane Assist (which you have to defeat every time you start the car) Merging onto a 4 lane freeway the Lane Assist thought that a painted traffic island was the road edge and forced me onto the freeway before it was safe to do so. All these options that are supposed to make driving safer are looking like a goldmine for dealer's service departments..

It's true there are times that you have to "fight" the system, so the speak. These situations are usually during lane merges, merging onto highways, or any situation where the lines on the road change. You just have to be mindful and aware of these situations and react accordingly. The lane keep system was more engineered to keep a sleeping driver from getting into a head on collision, or a distracted person on the freeway from accidentally changing lanes and ending up under a semi truck.

I agree with you that the system isn't perfect, but if it's calibrated correctly, it works pretty well. How many alignments have you had? How many new windshields? Have you had the system recalibrated with each of those services? It is required, for a reason. I see so many people of these forums debating / skipping the recalibration step during certain services that require it just to save a few bucks. Not worth it IMHO. I've had the recalibration done 5 times on my car in 2 years. 4 windshield replacements and the alignment that was required I mentioned above.

I'd start with making sure your system is calibrated correctly. There are times when the car will react to what it thinks are lines on the road, but not as aggressively as your experiences you've descried above.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
It's true there are times that you have to "fight" the system, so the speak. These situations are usually during lane merges, merging onto highways, or any situation where the lines on the road change. You just have to be mindful and aware of these situations and react accordingly. The lane keep system was more engineered to keep a sleeping driver from getting into a head on collision, or a distracted person on the freeway from accidentally changing lanes and ending up under a semi truck.

I agree with you that the system isn't perfect, but if it's calibrated correctly, it works pretty well. How many alignments have you had? How many new windshields? Have you had the system recalibrated with each of those services? It is required, for a reason. I see so many people of these forums debating / skipping the recalibration step during certain services that require it just to save a few bucks. Not worth it IMHO. I've had the recalibration done 5 times on my car in 2 years. 4 windshield replacements and the alignment that was required I mentioned above.

I'd start with making sure your system is calibrated correctly. There are times when the car will react to what it thinks are lines on the road, but not as aggressively as your experiences you've descried above.
The car is only 3 weeks old, issues I have that did not with our other two are having to scroll through controls to shut off the Lane Assistance every time I start the car and the missing functions on the Infotainment system. On our GLI and neighbour's Audi's one can disable the Lane Assistance once and it stays off until you enable it when you want.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
The car is only 3 weeks old, issues I have that did not with our other two are having to scroll through controls to shut off the Lane Assistance every time I start the car and the missing functions on the Infotainment system. On our GLI and neighbour's Audi's one can disable the Lane Assistance once and it stays off until you enable it when you want.

I totally read the year wrong. That's my bad.

Crazy you can't turn off the assist feature permanently. I can disable it on my 2019, and it stays off, like you stated with your GLI.

This might be a question for the dealership. Also, you can easily override the lane assist system by just turning the wheel against the direction the car is trying to take you. I'm sure you already know this, but you said - "forced me onto the freeway before it was safe to do so" leading me to believe you may not know you can manually override the system by just turning the wheel.

Just pay close attention to those areas where you know the car will try to follow unintended lines. You'll get to know most of them on your daily routes. Also, I'd compare the system to your GLI. Take the same drive with both cars and see what differences there are with the systems. Just because your car is brand new doesn't mean the system is calibrated properly from VW.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
I totally read the year wrong. That's my bad.

Crazy you can't turn off the assist feature permanently. I can disable it on my 2019, and it stays off, like you stated with your GLI.

This might be a question for the dealership. Also, you can easily override the lane assist system by just turning the wheel against the direction the car is trying to take you. I'm sure you already know this, but you said - "forced me onto the freeway before it was safe to do so" leading me to believe you may not know you can manually override the system by just turning the wheel.

Just pay close attention to those areas where you know the car will try to follow unintended lines. You'll get to know most of them on your daily routes. Also, I'd compare the system to your GLI. Take the same drive with both cars and see what differences there are with the systems. Just because your car is brand new doesn't mean the system is calibrated properly from VW.
Thanks. Have owned many new and used Volkswagens but this is new to me, neighbour's Lexus just vibrates the wheel when it's system detects a shoulder or lane dividing line. The '21 really pushed me in this instance. The GLI is my wife's car and she hates the lane Assist so it stays off permanently. Car will be in for an oil change at around 1,000 miles (old habit with new cars) I will bring these issues up at that time but find that as bits like "Lane Assist" are considered safety that dealers are reticent to turn anything off because of liability. Possibly could find, at some point an OBD controller that can make the adjustments. Am going to stay on VW's case until I can resolve something. I thought I was being brilliant buy buying the last 7.5 but did not think that the new software from the MK8 would be installed..

Attachments

• IMG_7058.jpg
    IMG_7058.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 116

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
So sick of all the software in my 2021 GTI, had the Lane Assist (which you have to defeat every time you start the car) Merging onto a 4 lane freeway the Lane Assist thought that a painted traffic island was the road edge and forced me onto the freeway before it was safe to do so. All these options that are supposed to make driving safer are looking like a goldmine for dealer's service departments..
Your lane assist will not interfere if your signal light is active. Also, are you saying that the lane assist exerted enough power on your steering that you couldn't steer the car? Mine will not do that. It puts up a fight and vibrates the wheel, but I can still steer the car wherever I tell it to go...

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Thanks. Have owned many new and used Volkswagens but this is new to me, neighbour's Lexus just vibrates the wheel when it's system detects a shoulder or lane dividing line. The '21 really pushed me in this instance. The GLI is my wife's car and she hates the lane Assist so it stays off permanently. Car will be in for an oil change at around 1,000 miles (old habit with new cars) I will bring these issues up at that time but find that as bits like "Lane Assist" are considered safety that dealers are reticent to turn anything off because of liability. Possibly could find, at some point an OBD controller that can make the adjustments. Am going to stay on VW's case until I can resolve something. I thought I was being brilliant buy buying the last 7.5 but did not think that the new software from the MK8 would be installed..
Cornflower, great choice. I would have that color if it were offered on the R when I bought mine.

Like GenX said, the wheel will put up a fight. I'm pretty sure mine vibrates as well, but can't recall. The car definitely tries to correct pretty aggressively.

How are you so sure that the newer MK8 software is installed? That's the first I've heard.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
Your lane assist will not interfere if your signal light is active. Also, are you saying that the lane assist exerted enough power on your steering that you couldn't steer the car? Mine will not do that. It puts up a fight and vibrates the wheel, but I can still steer the car wherever I tell it to go...
I'm aware of how this all functions,, I could steer the car in this case but was doing an "over the shoulder" look to merge when it engaged, I, like my wife and two neighbours that like driving do not want this function. Funny, we have 4 vehicles, one of which is my 1993 325is with suspension upgraded but pretty much stock down to the original muffler, this car has power seats, air conditioning and a sunroof and is an absolute pleasure to drive, I wish I could buy something this simple these days...Guess I am a Luddite.. You are in Canada, does your Autobahn have the G-meter and boost gauge cluster in the centre stack available? In the manual it shows it, am going to stay on VW Canada until they upgrade this.

Attachments

• P1040162.JPG
    P1040162.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 84

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I'm aware of how this all functions,, I could steer the car in this case but was doing an "over the shoulder" look to merge when it engaged, I, like my wife and two neighbours that like driving do not want this function. Funny, we have 4 vehicles, one of which is my 1993 325is with suspension upgraded but pretty much stock down to the original muffler, this car has power seats, air conditioning and a sunroof and is an absolute pleasure to drive, I wish I could buy something this simple these days...Guess I am a Luddite.. You are in Canada, does your Autobahn have the G-meter and boost gauge cluster in the centre stack available? In the manual it shows it, am going to stay on VW Canada until they upgrade this.
No, I have an open ticket about the missing PMI with VWCA. Someone in another thread posted that VW states a software update is due to fix it this summer.

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
No, I have an open ticket about the missing PMI with VWCA. Someone in another thread posted that VW states a software update is due to fix it this summer.
Thanks for that, hope the software is forthcoming, VW Canada since it's split from VWOA has been a lot cheaper with warranty issues, apparently as the pot of money is smaller now that they can't draw from all of North America.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Hey All,

Thanks in advance.

-Bake
In my wife’s GLI I once took a crazy deep pothole and the wipers activated on there own too

kilby

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2021 GTI, 2019 GLI,
Cornflower, great choice. I would have that color if it were offered on the R when I bought mine.

Like GenX said, the wheel will put up a fight. I'm pretty sure mine vibrates as well, but can't recall. The car definitely tries to correct pretty aggressively.

How are you so sure that the newer MK8 software is installed? That's the first I've heard.
M1B2 and M1B3 or something close are the two, I am pretty sure both the 2021 Mk7.5 and Mk8 have the same.