GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does sport/normal engine setting do anything on my stickshift GTI?

Pyramid Head

Ready to race!
What do you mean acceleration response? What exactly is it changing? Wondered this since day 1. I disabled my soundaktor after I got my exhaust, and I actually prefer the lighter steering feel. But what the heck is it doing to the engine?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
What do you mean acceleration response? What exactly is it changing? Wondered this since day 1. I disabled my soundaktor after I got my exhaust, and I actually prefer the lighter steering feel. But what the heck is it doing to the engine?

I think you have to look at it another way, as the engines have a maximum output, hence eco /norm must 'detune' them rather than sport boost anything. Indeed the steering is weighted and the HIDs turn with the steering in sport mode (naturally in the DSG the upshift occurs later and downshift sooner).

Garynovis

Ready to race!
Interested in this,

My interpretation was that it changed how much the movement of the throttle pedal impacted the engine, and in no way the tune.

Eco, pedal has dulled response, Normal is a mid way, Sport translates in to a more sensitive / rapid response.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Interested in this,

My interpretation was that it changed how much the movement of the throttle pedal impacted the engine, and in no way the tune.

Eco, pedal has dulled response, Normal is a mid way, Sport translates in to a more sensitive / rapid response.

I certainly haven't noticed any 'improved' throttle response in sport compared to normal, eco is somewhat duller without and increase in mpg.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
If you have LSD, in sport it has a more aggressive response.

ChalkboardCowboy

Sport makes the soundaktor louder, changes the weight of the steering, and also the way the acceleration pedal responds.

I meant just the "engine" setting, under "individual". I keep the lighting and steering set to sport, and the engine set to normal, because I prefer the soundaktor off. I was just wondering if there is any other effect.

Basically, I'm asking if "throttle response" is just a vague way to refer to the soundaktor, or if it involves something else, too.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Sport mode does increase the engine response rate to throttle input - i.e. you put your pedal down and it ramps up the actual engine output more quickly. In Normal/ECO it slows that response to both improve economy and improve the smoothness of the journey.
Remember it's been a decade since you had a direct connection between your right foot and the throttle body on a car.. :)
Sport mode may also have some more aggressive short term overboost allowances, though ultimately it doesn't alter the maximum output of the engine.