GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you think I have a coolant leak?

farawayskies

Car(s)
GTI MK7
From my investigation, it looks like it might be coming from this gasket/flange sort of thing, or that hose fitting. I'm seeing bubble form around the flange, and on the other side it's just dripping coolant. The coolant is totally empty in just a couple minutes.

Does anybody know what this piece / section is? Any record of this particular spot being an issue? Advice on fixing? Guess I just start unbolting things to see what's going on in there.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI

farawayskies

Car(s)
GTI MK7
OP you need to buy this and put it in asap. The plastic one is coming apart, and once it fails fully it's going to dump all of your coolant onto the road, possibly leaving you stranded. Whoever replaces it for you needs to make sure they pull out all of the old plastic pieces from your turbo.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-your-mk7-today.316916/page-2496#post-7868198

Thanks for sharing that thread. I bought the part and it should get here Saturday. I will be doing the work in the garage. 1. Because it seems super easy to do. 2. Because the car is literally not drivable. It empties out the coolant in a matter of minutes of running.

Thanks for the tip about the turbo fishing. I guess I'll have to be careful about removing the part and inspect to see if any of it is missing. Hopefully skip the turbo fishing part, that seems like a real headache.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks for sharing that thread. I bought the part and it should get here Saturday. I will be doing the work in the garage. 1. Because it seems super easy to do. 2. Because the car is literally not drivable. It empties out the coolant in a matter of minutes of running.

Thanks for the tip about the turbo fishing. I guess I'll have to be careful about removing the part and inspect to see if any of it is missing. Hopefully skip the turbo fishing part, that seems like a real headache.
I did it in the parking lot with simple tools, you will definitely be able to tackle it in the garage. Yes just inspect the piece you remove before you seal it back up.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Also, turbo blanket, heat shielding, and Ti pipe and part wraps are wonderful for keeping heat from melting things or making them fail prematurely. My wrapped downpipe is warm but not scalding to the touch right after coming off track... My abs sensor is looking a little melty though... 🙃

farawayskies

Car(s)
GTI MK7
I did it in the parking lot with simple tools, you will definitely be able to tackle it in the garage. Yes just inspect the piece you remove before you seal it back up.
I did in fact have to fish out a small plastic ring that broke off from the bottom of the plastic coolant adapter, so thanks for pointing that out because I likely would have missed it. I ended up tapping the broken off ring with a tiny screwdriver to break it into two pieces that were easier to grab with some tweezers and extract. Who knows how long I would have been standing there trying to fish it out had I not thought to do that. I installed the new aluminum adapter, have been driving around with no problems so far. Glad this fix was so easy and cheap and not something major.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I did in fact have to fish out a small plastic ring that broke off from the bottom of the plastic coolant adapter, so thanks for pointing that out because I likely would have missed it.
I had to take mine apart twice because I realized something was likely left behind. Glad to hear it all worked out.

FamilieTrukvagen

Car(s)
'15 Sportwagen
Thanks. Ordered one of those billet pieces as well. Light coolant staining around the original and lose maybe 1/2" of coolant from the tank every 6-12 months.