GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do you guys keep the dsg in sport mode 24/7?

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Drive seems too lazy and moving the dsg to s makes the tranny feel like it’s smoking crack

I typically stayed in drive till oil temps are 180 and move it to sport.

But now a days I leave it in drive, knock a gear down if I need some acceleration and eventually go back to d automatically

How about you guys? My neighbor keeps his mk7 in S permanently. He hates drive

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
Eh...it’s just preference.
You get better response in S at the cost of fuel economy. But, on windy roads or inclines I would just keep it in S.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I typically stayed in drive till oil temps are 180 and move it to sport.
Could be wrong, but unless you're mashing the gas I don't think S will stress the engine with normal driving; not sure if moving to sport mode after you start/before it warms up would do any harm.

I agree with preference as stated above.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I just leave it in D most of the time. Cruising around town...it works just fine for me. I'll toggle the shifter into S when I get on the freeway or if I want to make a sketchy pass.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Could be wrong, but unless you're mashing the gas I don't think S will stress the engine with normal driving; not sure if moving to sport mode after you start/before it warms up would do any harm.

I agree with preference as stated above.
I do it because the engine revs a bit higher. I’m sure your right but it’s a “just in case” thing for me LOL

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Get a tune that has a good drive mode, changes the car completely.

This.

Stock I also found D mode somewhat sluggish to include what seems to be an annoying lag between pressing the throttle and the car moving from a stop. Yet for normal routine driving, S mode just hung on to gears too long and was unnecessarily wasting gas.

The TCU tune changed all that and now I leave the car in D most of the time. Of course, you can always shift manually but despite being a long time stick shift die hard, I personally just can't get enthused about the paddles on a DSG car so don't bother with them unless I'm really hooning it down a back road.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I one of "those people" and usually leave it in M.

The true solution to DSG issues is to just get a tune though. EQT's is perfect in D and Ridiculous in S. Perfect for Daily

Agree completely. And if S mode with an EQT DSG tune is ridiculous I'm sure that you mean fantastic.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I personally just can't get enthused about the paddles on a DSG car so don't bother with them unless I'm really hooning it down a back road.
English isn’t my first language. And I really wanted to say this but couldn’t articulate it the way you did

At most I’ll downshift once while in d just to get a little more acceleration. Other than that I don’t touch the paddles. I find s enough fun. Competitively I’ll be using manual mode for sure. I look forward to that.