GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dkm stage 3 clutch

Clifton@DKMClutch

Respectfully, I had communications with you in May (including a phone conversation). You missed every stated timeline that you would get information back to me, and I had to persistently email you to even get a response. I eventually just gave up trying as it was clear that you didn't care to respond.

As for QC, there is multiple reports of something as simple as the wrong flywheel bolts being shipped with kits. I assume that you don't make your own bolts, so this is a process of taking bolts from the box from your supplier, and putting them into the shipping box. The fact that you can't do that properly does not say "very controlled QC process"

I wanted your clutch, but after four months of not shipping one to my Canadian vendor and the other issues reported in this thread, I've given up and cancelled my order. I've sent this to you before in email - it pisses me off to no end that you give/sell clutches to people for YouTube, but can't fill orders that have been waiting for months.

Hello Dub_guy,

I requested your information via PM, I was under the impression that your issue was resolved and sent a response to you a while back.

Please respond to my PM so I can make sure to figure out how the miscommunication happened. I can assure you that we wouldn't intentionally ignore a message which is why we are publicly reaching out to get issues rectified.

Crackness1

Ready to race!

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks bud, not sure what the issue is there.

It's pretty muted when I play it on my phone but there's a distinct grinding, almost a crunch after the shift.

Clifton@DKMClutch

Here's what I'm getting :

Hello Dutch,

I received your video, I figured I'd respond in your PM and the thread so that you an people with similar questions can see it.

Your factory DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) weighed about 28 lbs. Which is about a 10 lbs. difference in weight from your lightweight SMF (Single Mass Flywheel) that is equip in the MS Series Stage 3 DKM clutch kit.

By replacing the DMF with a lightweight SMF, you are lowering the rotating mass and moment of inertia, which in turn, will give you a more aggressive "bite". A DMF also comes with dampening mechanisms that reduce vibrations that are existent in your vehicles drivetrain. When you remove the DMF for a lighter weight single mass flywheel, those vibrations become more apparent.

This is pretty consistent to the noise I hear in the video. Sounds completely normal from an aftermarket SMF kit when "rowing" through gears with spirited driving.

radoroc

Ready to race!
The grinding sound is abnormal, if it were then everyone would be experiencing it, but that's not the case.

Grinding is not the same as vibration, I don't think you realize how bad it is. Being unable to rev match or no lift shift or even give some throttle when speed shifting without a loud grind is unacceptable.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
The grinding sound is abnormal, if it were then everyone would be experiencing it, but that's not the case.

Grinding is not the same as vibration, I don't think you realize how bad it is. Being unable to rev match or no lift shift or even give some throttle when speed shifting without a loud grind is unacceptable.

Do you guys hear a grind or feel the pedal itself grind at higher rev downshifts? I can't really hear the grind because exhaust probably drowns the audio, no problems with getting in gear though. I'm experiencing the pedal grind feel, mostly at higher rpm rev-match/downshift, but was told it's normal for SMFW. I still feel like it isn't but it is my first SMFW so I don't know what to expect in terms of pedal feel when rev matching.

I'm getting this other grind/rattle noise when I'm turning at a decent speed and feeding the throttle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBjXeBzowHs

Audio's not that great but should be audible with headphones/earphones. I'm told this is normal too at decel but that's not the sound I get on normal deceleration so I don't know... I'll try to get more/better clips.

r-gazmic

Passed Driver's Ed
Do you guys hear a grind or feel the pedal itself grind at higher rev downshifts? I can't really hear the grind because exhaust probably drowns the audio, no problems with getting in gear though. I'm experiencing the pedal grind feel, mostly at higher rpm rev-match/downshift, but was told it's normal for SMFW. I still feel like it isn't but it is my first SMFW so I don't know what to expect in terms of pedal feel when rev matching.

I'm getting this other grind/rattle noise when I'm turning at a decent speed and feeding the throttle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBjXeBzowHs

Audio's not that great but should be audible with headphones/earphones. I'm told this is normal too at decel but that's not the sound I get on normal deceleration so I don't know... I'll try to get more/better clips.

So I have a SB Stage 3 daily, also a SMF clutch. The noise people posted in the video is hard to pick up, I do get kind of a thunk/bang noise if I try to shift fast after being WOT, particularly the 1-2 shift. It is NOT a grinding noise though, and I get no grinding feel through the pedal or shifter at all. It also only happens when I'm being an absolute hoon, if I'm driving like a sane person there's no noise at all between shifts unless my left foot does something dumb.

As for rev matching on downshifts, I'm able to do that with no noise or grinding/thunking/banging of any kind. It's as smooth as I am, the only time it's rough is if I screw up and give it too much/not enough throttle when blipping it to match.

Just putting this out there as someone with a different SMF clutch.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
So I have a SB Stage 3 daily, also a SMF clutch. The noise people posted in the video is hard to pick up, I do get kind of a thunk/bang noise if I try to shift fast after being WOT, particularly the 1-2 shift. It is NOT a grinding noise though, and I get no grinding feel through the pedal or shifter at all. It also only happens when I'm being an absolute hoon, if I'm driving like a sane person there's no noise at all between shifts unless my left foot does something dumb.

As for rev matching on downshifts, I'm able to do that with no noise or grinding/thunking/banging of any kind. It's as smooth as I am, the only time it's rough is if I screw up and give it too much/not enough throttle when blipping it to match.

Do you hear any groaning/grinding when you're turning at a corner at a decent speed and adding light throttle? That's what I tried to capture in my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBjXeBzowHs 0:03 to 0:06

radoroc

Ready to race!

I get vibration in the pedal, to me it sounds like the disk(s) grinding. My grinding only happens with throttle applied when it's engaging after shifting a gear, and it happens in every gear in that scenario. I hear other noises but none are as pronounced as the grinding sound.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie

This is a grind. A thunk, clunk, jerk, whatever you want to call it is to be expected if hooning and not matching well. I've experienced plenty of both in many vehicles, this just feels completely different to me. Maybe it is a potential characteristic, but first impression was grinding gears.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
My grinding only happens with throttle applied when it's engaging after shifting a gear, and it happens in every gear in that scenario.

Yes. Exactly this. 1 - 2 can be very pronounced and is unnerving. I've also heard it shifting 2 - 3 but that was just the one time.

d1ngleberry

Passed Driver's Ed
What's the part number on the all-metal OEM throwout bearing / slave assembly?

Is it 0A5141671F? 0A5141671N is what I've found to be compatible with my car (2017 Golf R). Clearly just a later revision, but I definitely want to ensure that rev. F will fit and shouldn't cause any issues, assuming that's the part you guys have been referring to.

Or will I be fine with the FTE part that was included with the kit? I already had to get one replacement that was damaged in shipping. Haven't installed the clutch yet and I'd like to avoid having to drop the transmission again in the future.

Edit: Never mind. This appears to be correct per https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=673753&postcount=3

Anyone used the LuK LSC320 with this clutch? Seems to be the same as the OEM metal piece but way cheaper.

Last edited: