GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Front Air Ram - My Thoughts.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
So I was looking at the new REVO intake kit with the carbon fiber front air ram, and I thought to myself I wonder how hard it would be to DIY something similar?

ECS sells the lower stock intake portion for $25

If you notice it really should not be that hard to block that all off with high density foam or hell even fiberglass or other materials if you are so inclined.

Here is the REVO piece for reference, its very nice but the carbon fiber makes it $$$.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the intake dilemma, I have still found the stock airbox makes the most power on the car, now I'm just finding more ways to get colder air there by using the R&D of other companies.

snailmeat

Ready to race!
The Revo piece doesn't block up that hole, it's kept there to route air to the engine bay still.

You just need to dremmel out the blocked off portion on the right, this was one of the first DIY mod ideas that was tossed around about a year or two ago, along with cutting slots into the top of the front grille.

Here's mine:

chadlogan112

Passed Driver's Ed
Like guy above said. Cutting out the squares in the shroud is great. But you must also cut slots in the top of honeycomb grille. As if you look on drivers side the air enters the honey comb then up through factory holes. Without that, not much air can get thru between the hood and grill.

AZGTI2

Ready to race!
The problem with the front piece is it doesn't do a great job at tunneling the air that comes in where the opening is on the left. I am having a custom front piece designed for ram air that will accomplish this. I will post up pics when it's complete

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
$25 is cheap and I might grab one to play with. I agree the vents need to be opened, like gn4r has done himself, but I'm thinking something with the lower piece also needs to be done. Everyone makes the slots like the other side has, but I feel like cutting it and bending it downward like a scoop might be more effective. I don't want to mess up my stock one though without a replacement :D

Anyone have the part number or a link to the stock piece I'm talking about?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Never mind, I found it.. It's part of the front grill which sucks. I might drop $100 to play with one and craft a scoop under it and cut out the holes in the upper section. All said and done, with a panel filter (which I have) would be under $200

Spinozaman

Passed Driver's Ed
So I was looking at the new REVO intake kit with the carbon fiber front air ram, and I thought to myself I wonder how hard it would be to DIY something similar?

ECS sells the lower stock intake portion for $25

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the intake dilemma, I have still found the stock airbox makes the most power on the car, now I'm just finding more ways to get colder air there by using the R&D of other companies.

Have you tested the various intake to substantiate the claim that the stock airbox is best? I'm I. The process of testing and logging various options so genuinely interested.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Have you tested the various intake to substantiate the claim that the stock airbox is best? I'm I. The process of testing and logging various options so genuinely interested.

Stock Airbox vs. Injen vs. Injen with Velocity Stack

Stock Airbox had the best performance feel, there is another huge thread here dedicated to intakes, you can see my work there.

Spinozaman

Passed Driver's Ed
Stock Airbox vs. Injen vs. Injen with Velocity Stack

Stock Airbox had the best performance feel, there is another huge thread here dedicated to intakes, you can see my work there.

Sorry I'm mostly a vortex guy. Is that the "show me your intake" thread? Just here for a look see. (I do a lot of logging for testing.) you say "feel" above is there data or only "feel"? MK6 work below.

Thanks.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'm surprised your best was on winter tires :) what's your average calculated on? 3 runs? Any cooldown in-between them? Just curious since I like to log myself and see quantitive improvements :)

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I'm surprised the left side of the GTI intake is open on the engine side... that allows a lot of hot air to be sucked in.
My GTE has this part blocked with a plastic part. You can probably order this insert. I'll look up the part number for you.

Last edited:

vwinva

Ready to race!
I'm surprised the left side of the GTI intake is open on the engine side... that allows a lot of hot air to be sucked in.
My GTE has this part blocked with a plastic part. You can probably order this insert. I'll look up the part number for you.

While the car is moving there will be no hot air sucked in from the left side. Air is constantly flowing into that side from outside the car.

Spinozaman

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm surprised your best was on winter tires :) what's your average calculated on? 3 runs? Any cooldown in-between them? Just curious since I like to log myself and see quantitive improvements :)

No cool down. Four runs typically. I do it on the same roads for consistency.

You?

Last edited:

worldacgti

Go Kart Champion
I am on stock airbox right now with K&N and modded chamber + snow tray removal. I briefly had an APR intake and i can tell you that I really "felt" no difference. That being said, the car was definitely faster judging by the pulls that i did with a buddy and his s3. I think that any intake will most likely give you a gain over a stock modded setup. The potential for overall air being drawn in is probably a lot better with an aftermarket intake. I bought an injen that I'm gonna take to the dyno along with the stock box setup. I will post results in a couple of weeks