GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY Aluminum Front Splitter

95gto

Go Kart Newbie
In for results. I am interested to see how your design compares to the one I have for my R400 bumper.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
There’s a good YouTube video on this, I’m planning to do the same eventually (in my free time)

I can’t find the video to save my life for some reason, but it’s by Justin aka The Fabrication Series on YouTube

When I build mine it’ll be chassis mounted, quick release, and strong enough to be functional on the track. Not in a big rush to do it, as I’m always working on everyone else’s stuff so my cars always on the back burner

Jake...stop being a one-upper...LOL! Yours sounds awesome. Mine will most likely look like I did it in shop class, but working with retired maintenance WO4s will keep me in check.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
For the finish, there is always vinyl wrap. You don't need to wrap the bottom, and if it gets damaged you can just peel and re-wrap. Gives you all sorts of options like brushed metals, carbon, every sheen of black you could want, tons of options.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
you may want to call a steel/aluminum fabricator....you may be able to get some scraps for cash/cheap.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
you may want to call a steel/aluminum fabricator....you may be able to get some scraps for cash/cheap.

ironically, my buddy told me to contact a roofing company for scraps too

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
And it begins

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake...stop being a one-upper...LOL! Yours sounds awesome. Mine will most likely look like I did it in shop class, but working with retired maintenance WO4s will keep me in check.

I’ll share my ideas, chassis mounts should definitely be considered with aluminum so worst case road debris won’t try to rip your bumper off :eek:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I’ll share my ideas, chassis mounts should definitely be considered with aluminum so worst case road debris won’t try to rip your bumper off :eek:

Send 'em Jake...going to be a slow project, so no rush. I had corner splitters on my MK4 GLI and was too low and hit a pothole and know first hand what bent aluminum and a shredded bumper feel and look like....don't want that to happen EVER again.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Measuring begins

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I got a sheet of plexiglass that's been sitting around. If you'd be able to provide measurements once done - please do reach out :)

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Aluminum? Looking to make a pedestrian ankle amputator?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I got a sheet of plexiglass that's been sitting around. If you'd be able to provide measurements once done - please do reach out :)
Absolutely

Aluminum? Looking to make a pedestrian ankle amputator?
Lol... No different than aluminum or steel side splitters I had on my MKIV GLI. again, this could be a gigantic fail, however at least I tried and it has so far been fun

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
very cool, looking for updates once done :) gL

if all else fails, you could just find a friend who has one and trace theirs
Thanks! True. Headed to my buddy's garage next weekend to do the cutting and drilling. This'll be fun. Currently getting more powdercoating quotes.....don't feel like doing proper aluminum prep work for paint/truck bed liner

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Thanks! True. Headed to my buddy's garage next weekend to do the cutting and drilling. This'll be fun. Currently getting more powdercoating quotes.....don't feel like doing proper aluminum prep work for paint/truck bed liner

yeah if it was just me, i would go to home depot, buy spraypaint primer/ final/ clear if your not going matte, then diy. it will be about 12$ vs 150$