GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY 2016 gti alternator replacement

reeseheckman

Passed Driver's Ed
So with my luck the alternator on my 2016 gti has failed and is no longer charging my battery at the correct voltage. There is very little info on installing an alternator in a mk7 gti does anybody know of a source i could go through to do this myself? Seems pretty similar to the mk6 alternator job except there’s a large A/C hose in the way on the mk7. Any help is appreciated!

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Good thing you didn't buy a battery like some dummy suggested (me). Crazy the alt is bad so soon.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Alternator/generator replacement mk7 workshop procedure attached

Attachments

• 0 - 1.8 2L alternator torque spec.jpg
    0 - 1.8 2L alternator torque spec.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 5,922
  • 1 - 2L alternator 1.jpg
    1 - 2L alternator 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 4,428
  • 2 - 2L alternator 2.jpg
    2 - 2L alternator 2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 4,353
  • 3 - 1.8L alternator 3.jpg
    3 - 1.8L alternator 3.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 4,152
  • 4- 1.8 L alternator 4.jpg
    4- 1.8 L alternator 4.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 6,417

reeseheckman

Passed Driver's Ed
Good thing you didn't buy a battery like some dummy suggested (me). Crazy the alt is bad so soon.

Haha lucky for me i had an extra battery from my mk6 and it also charged at the same voltage, i’ve seen a couple other guys with bad alternators at this low miles buy yeah it’s kinda ridiculous considering a new one from vw is $945

srbeards

Has anyone had any luck changing out an alternator on these cars? I am trying to figure out how to pull it out once it is un-bolted and un-plugged. The AC coolant hose is right in the way of pulling it out. Any help would be appreciated.

fri_night_in_ninsei

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Bump. I'm about to replace the alternator as well. Any tips? Do you have to remove the fan shroud? What about the AC compressor and hoses? Any advice is appreciated.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Bump. I'm about to replace the alternator as well. Any tips? Do you have to remove the fan shroud? What about the AC compressor and hoses? Any advice is appreciated.
There's literally a step by step procedure posted above in post #3. Follow those instructions.

bryanviper

Weird these are dying so soon. I have a 2016 Golf R and it just died today. Managed to get it home and fully charged the battery so tomorrow I will take it to my mechanic as its to much of a pain to change in my driveway and no lift.

So with my luck the alternator on my 2016 gti has failed and is no longer charging my battery at the correct voltage. There is very little info on installing an alternator in a mk7 gti does anybody know of a source i could go through to do this myself? Seems pretty similar to the mk6 alternator job except there’s a large A/C hose in the way on the mk7. Any help is appreciated!

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
I have a 2016 vw mk7 1.8t and mine just died today, 77000miles

Kevvie

Hi all. thought I'd share a recent experience in case anyone else faces a similar issue. Not long ago, whilst driving along the great ocean road (3 hours from Melbourne), I started getting weird electrical issues, firstly the radio volume disappeared, then random error messages, and eventually the car dropped into neutral and I lost all steering. Eventually figured out the battery was flat because the alternator had failed. Being in a remote location, no one had a battery and no one had an alternator and I ended up finding a local wrecker to replace mine and it it only took 2 days to get mobile again. They used a 15 year old one out of a Q5 Audi, so not sure how long it will last!
I discovered a few things:
1. If your alternator dies, you can drive for about 2 hours on a fully charged battery, with all electrics off, before the car completely stops again
2. The VW AU$1700 alternator is about $600 from an auto electrician if you can give them the right part number
3. The pulley on the alternator is a consumable part that is rated for 40-60,000km. The right person with the right tools can replace it on the car for about $100 and 2 hours labour. Removing and replacing the complete alternator is about 4-5 hours otherwise.
4. If you are going to charge your battery while it is in the car, don't connect to the negative terminal, use the body attachment point instead (the negative terminal has a cover over it, I think for that reason).

EDIT - noting point 3 - most alternators are still good even if the battery isn't charging, not many people know (even dealers) the pulley is a consumable part and can be replaced without taking the alternator out, by taking off a panel in the wheel well. The one needed for a Golf Mk7 R with Bosch alternator is a Litens 920851A. You can confirm it is broken if it turns in both directions, the design allows it to turn in one direction only when working correctly.

carbon_gecko

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GOLf tsi 'S'
Just bought a brand new tyc alternator, 215$ installing it now. Hopefully no drama.

Attachments

• 20240316_125011.jpg
    20240316_125011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240316_125304.jpg
    20240316_125304.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

cnamk7

I did one recently on a mk7 GTI. You absolutely need to unbolt the ac compressor to allow enough room to move past the ac hoses. Additionally, you'll need to pull the radiator fan.

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I did one recently on a mk7 GTI. You absolutely need to unbolt the ac compressor to allow enough room to move past the ac hoses. Additionally, you'll need to pull the radiator fan.
I read that you can unmount the ac line bracket and squeeze it through that way

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I read that you can unmount the ac line bracket and squeeze it through that way
That's what I did when I took out the alternator on my daughter's 1.8TSI on the way to taking out the whole accessory bracket to fix a leaking oil seal. Took the alternator out through the top.