GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dirty clutch fluid but clear brake fluid

AR11

Ready to race!
This past weekend I removed my clutch delay and bled the clutch line as is required for that job. I was shocked to see lots of flaky white solids in the fluid. This prompted me to also bleed my brakes, which I had gotten behind on. I was expecting to see more of the same but the fluid came out identical to the RBF600 I was putting in.

I'm very confused by this and just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with their clutch or if there are other things I should check (I can't think of what).

AR11

Ready to race!
Perhaps I'm just thrown by the fact both brake and clutch lines share the same master cylinder but are otherwise entirely discrete and not "sharing" fluids.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The fluid to the brakes & the clutch line is not recirculated.....all basically single dead ends......the dealers mainly bleed the brakes very seldom does the clutch line get bled..therefore the fluid in the clutch line "dead end" is older...

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
FWIW, I bled the brakes and clutch on my 2019 in March as regular preventive maintenance. Also removed the clutch delay valve at that time. I upgraded my front brakes (new calipers and rotors) this week and the fluid — now 8 months old — looked as new from the calipers. I decided to bleed the clutch while I was at it, and that fluid was much darker and dirtier. Weird.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
FWIW, I bled the brakes and clutch on my 2019 in March as regular preventive maintenance. Also removed the clutch delay valve at that time. I upgraded my front brakes (new calipers and rotors) this week and the fluid — now 8 months old — looked as new from the calipers. I decided to bleed the clutch while I was at it, and that fluid was much darker and dirtier. Weird.

As I said above the reason for this is..
The fluid to the brakes & the clutch line is not recirculated.....all basically single dead ends......the dealers mainly bleed the brakes very seldom does the clutch line get bled..therefore the fluid in the clutch line "dead end" is older...

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Yes, I'm aware that that fluid is not recirculated. I mentioned it because only 8 months/5k miles have passed since a full flush and because fluid from the clutch circuit looked much darker than from the brakes. I was surprised by the difference. I don't remember seeing that on previous vehicles. Maybe nothing to be worried about, but just adding observations to the discussion.