Attachments

• IMG_8551.jpeg
    IMG_8551.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 132

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Perspective…. Not really a mistake if it is all topped off and done. Planning on doing all the fluids this summer.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Hijacking the thread for a similar question: When you remove the single axle bolt from the wheel hub is it normal for grease to pour out? It happened on my gti when I lowered it. I just packed some CV grease in with a syringe and never thought about it again

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
An oops while doing haldex service
Hard to tell what you drained and filled from that picture...as every bolt/hole...giggity...is wet....

The two bolts on the left side are the haldex drain and fill, and the right are the rear diff.

IF......IF....you put "axle..." gear oil in the haldex...hopefully you didn't start or DRIVE.... the car that way...I would recommend buying a few quarts of haldex fluid to gravity flush out the coupling...drain it completely....pour a quart through....fill and let it sit overnight....drain again, remove the pump, and drain completely in the morning, Refill drive once....and dump and refill again...as haldex fluid is rather expensive...expect to buy about $120-$150 in fluid... AND remember anytime you drain the pump...you need start the car once, let it run for a minute...then re top off...

IF...you put haldex in the diff....drain and fill with normal cheap 75w-90....drive a week....drain and fill again....with good gear oil...

and for the love of all VW....since you own an R...., have a little self respect and clean the undercarriage...once a year...you don't drive a peasant spec... gti anymore...

Last edited:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Hijacking the thread for a similar question: When you remove the single axle bolt from the wheel hub is it normal for grease to pour out? It happened on my gti when I lowered it. I just packed some CV grease in with a syringe and never thought about it again
generally that spline section into the hub/bearing is hollow, so yes possibly you could see CV grease...pouring out though....????

RIP...thread topic... 🍿

Last edited:

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hard to tell what you drained and filled from that picture...as every bolt/hole...giggity...is wet....

The two bolts on the left side are the haldex drain and fill, and the right are the rear diff.

IF......IF....you put "axle..." gear oil in the haldex...hopefully you didn't start or DRIVE.... the car that way...I would recommend buying a few quarts of haldex fluid to gravity flush out the coupling...drain it completely....pour a quart through....fill and let it sit overnight....drain again, remove the pump, and drain completely in the morning, Refill drive once....and dump and refill again...as haldex fluid is rather expensive...expect to buy about $120-$150 in fluid... AND remember anytime you drain the pump...you need start the car once, let it run for a minute...then re top off...

IF...you put haldex in the diff....drain and fill with normal cheap 75w-90....drive a week....drain and fill again....with good gear oil...

and for the love of all VW....since you own an R...., have a little self respect and clean the undercarriage...once a year...you don't drive a peasant spec... gti anymore...
Yea the mistake was the right side. Drained and refilled with whatever gear oil they gave me at the dealer.

I picked this car up just a little over a month ago after my GTI got totaled from a stupid driver. This car has lived it's life up in Canada before this so I probably do need a good spraying to get rid of all that road salt residue:cry:

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Yea the mistake was the right side. Drained and refilled with whatever gear oil they gave me at the dealer.

I picked this car up just a little over a month ago after my GTI got totaled from a stupid driver. This car has lived it's life up in Canada before this so I probably do need a good spraying to get rid of all that road salt residue:cry:
Also.... 1/2 if not 2/3 of VW parts guys and service managers....are mostly idiots...and/or don't care, or give zero Fs about their job or the customer...so I would take (most...) forum/youtube wisdom over at least half of them...

https://www.amazon.com/STAR-BRITE-093900N-base_product/dp/B00EXIVYRI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=salt+away&qid=1685550458&sr=8-3&th=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/303-Saltwate..._16?keywords=salt+away&qid=1685550316&sr=8-16

add to a decent car soap....((carpro reset to a mild stripping soap(carpro lift...)...or similar) ....etc....some of the detailing products companies (chemical guys....) are marketing companies that happen to sell detailing products....a select few of their products are good, but most are mediocre at best days in ideal conditions...

one of the 1 gallon chemical resistant hand pump garden sprayers works ok for applying a soap/303 mix or diluting a salt remover concentrate and letting it dwell for 5-10 minutes, then flush with a hose

Last edited: