GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Detailed up the R!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I have a garage so I *don't* have to park outside! The tiles are the color they are. I've tried cleaning them up and without physically removing them from the garage and power washing them tile by tile, that's as clean as they get. They have perforations in them, which are great in the winter as they're not slippery, but they allow all the dirt etc to get below them. So there's no way for me to pressure wash them clean. If I had to do it again I'd get the solid plastic tiles, those I could easily pressure wash and squeegee broom clean.

I was thinking about doing red/gray Race Decks in my garage in sections over my flaked epoxy, but once sand/grit gets on them and drive over them so many times, it just gets scuffed and embedded into the plastic/rubber it seems.

I think the next garage I do will be hard tile checkered. Somewhat slippery when wet, but my garage floor rarely gets wet besides from the A/C dripping from under the car which I'll mop up. I have an iRobot running in my garage weekly.

GolfRRRR1

Go Kart Champion
Great job on the detail!
I love my epoxy floor, but it is slippery when wet, even with the grit and flakes mixed in. In the winter the snow/ice melt and drain away, I just spray or sweep it out ever so often. It will chip, like the other day when I dropped a rotor on it, but who cares, it's a garage. Would tile crack when you use jack stands and jacks?

Attachments

• 8ED9AD81-7A9B-4685-9C2D-E04B2D187C2E.jpeg
    8ED9AD81-7A9B-4685-9C2D-E04B2D187C2E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • E0123FD6-CC66-4E47-B8B7-728710552E0A.jpeg
    E0123FD6-CC66-4E47-B8B7-728710552E0A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
^ Is it the one? I use it on lighter colored cars, like my Golf-R, that I know I will polish afterwards, but on dark cars it marrs the finish pretty good, and can lead to holograms so you will probably want to be careful. I use Griot's clay for dark colored cars.

https://mothers.com/collections/spe...ixPN-q9L4VTR4VPKnSBoCJeYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Griot's clay (super soft so use disposable gloves)..
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/paint+cleaning+clay.do?sortby=ourPicks

Interesting. I was told that the speed clay actually marred up the paint a bit less than traditional clay. I've used regular clay my whole life, was a little skeptical about the speed clay but I'm sure it will be fine if I properly clean before and lubricate during the process. I also take extremely good care of my paint and also have the car protected, so I really don't pull much off with a clay bar anyway. Because of this, I usually don't need to come back with any paint correction.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
Interesting. I was told that the speed clay actually marred up the paint a bit less than traditional clay. I've used regular clay my whole life, was a little skeptical about the speed clay but I'm sure it will be fine if I properly clean before and lubricate during the process. I also take extremely good care of my paint and also have the car protected, so I really don't pull much off with a clay bar anyway. Because of this, I usually don't need to come back with any paint correction.

As you already know clay comes in various hardnesses and some are more coarse than others resulting in marring (sometimes intentionally use harder clay to polish off stubborn contaminants regardless of marring).

SpeedClay2.0 is more coarse than Mother's standard yellow clay as I found (although there is variation between lots in the clay), so depending on the paint color you use, you may need to go back with a mild polish on a red or black pad. I've went through several SpeedClay2.0's so far and on white colored cars I have had no issue with marring showing through. Black cars are a different story including my MK7 GTI I had in the past and others. Does not matter whether I used tap water, distilled water, QD, etc as lube..still marred. Very minor, and not a big deal if you plan on polishing your car anyway.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I used the Adams Polishes fine clay. Both cars were in good shape with minimal correction needed. Low mileage, etc.

The porcelain tiles are what the dealerships use. In general they're very durable but obviously more expensive to purchase and have installed.

I do wish I'd had the floor epoxy coated when I bought the house. I actually had a few quotes but winced at the cost and skipped it. Now the garage is packed full of stuff and there's no way I could do it.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
Great job on the detail!
I love my epoxy floor, but it is slippery when wet, even with the grit and flakes mixed in. In the winter the snow/ice melt and drain away, I just spray or sweep it out ever so often. It will chip, like the other day when I dropped a rotor on it, but who cares, it's a garage. Would tile crack when you use jack stands and jacks?

Schumi!