GOLFMKV

DerHase's 2019 GTI Rabbit Edition: HPDE shenanigans

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Been busy with the holidays and stuff but here are some updates:

Temp data from VIR:
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/stock-tune-temp-data-track-vir?log=0&data=0-2-4-5-7-8-9-13-15
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/stock-tune-temp-data-track-vir?log=1&data=0-2-4-5-7-8-9-13-15

Pertinent info I got from it:
-DO88 IC heat soaks to about 12F above ambient on the stock tune in a 20min session. Perfectly acceptable. Honestly due to the IAT location, it wouldn't surprise me if it's actually lower than reported because of the sensor/intake getting heat soaked on track. What will be important is checking the delta again once tuned.
-DSG temp is fine and increases slowly throughout the whole session. I'd probably feel comfortable running it to 220F or so.
-Coolant temps not a problem.
-Oil temps don't seem to be an issue. We'll see what happens once tuned. Depending on how quickly it approaches 270F once tuned... I MAY see if it's possible to get away with just doing some massive hood vents. I 100% believe that this chassis' primary cooling problem is airflow. More through the radiator and everything, the better it'll be.
-I was running the heat on speed 2 or 3. Nothing crazy but there was a little extra help there.
-On one of my first days at VIR on stock IC, I was able to get to 270F a couple times even in similar 50ish F temps. I wasn't able to do that at all this time. Perhaps the lower IATs help the engine more efficiently get rid of heat while also making more power? Or perhaps the stock IC was heat soaking, so any airflow through it was getting pre-heated before the radiator (moreso than typical driving conditions). I don't think this is right because a more efficient (for IATs) IC is removing more heat from the charge air... meaning that heat has to go somewhere. Not sure what to think of this. But it feels good and temps are not an issue yet.

The car is now tuned:
-I finally took the plunge with the OS Tuning using Simos Tools. I purchased a tune from 8 Bit Performance (who is on the OS Discord and helps a lot of others out frequently). Currently on V5 (V1 was flashed exactly one week ago today), with V6 waiting to be flashed and logged. Nearing the end just refining timing mostly. He is tuning me VERY conservatively as IMO this car doesn't need a ton of power to be fun... just needs to not feel like a tractor with zero top-end like it does stock. We will see what the difference is come February. I have a stock tune (just unlocked to enable 3E HSL) to flash back to maybe do some back to back testing (though I may wait until May to do this... I'll have 8hrs of open track time at a private event which will be better for testing different things. At some point I plan to take it to a dyno for some actual verifiable numbers.
-I did actually start to play with a tune myself (not flashed to the car though) before realizing I just don't have enough time to dedicate to learning to do it all myself at this time. May fiddle with some in the future. For science.
-My FAVORITE part is the 3E HSL (high speed logger). It is a patch applied to the tune which allows full access to powertrain bus data messages. So now I can log:
- Individual wheel speeds
- Brake pressure
- SAS
- Plus a ton of other stuff engine and trans related.

Here's a couple quick videos going over them real quick. Ignore my stupid voice.

I still haven't dropped the front sub frame. Procrastination may happen until after February. HOWEVER I have a decent reason: I ordered some Superpro poly LCA forward bushings, plus some Audi RS3 rearward front LCA bushings. I really only want to drop the subframe once, so depending on how long it takes for everything to show up, I may delay putting the FSB on until after February.

My schedule this year for track stuff:
Feb 11-12: VIR Full HPDE with Tidewater Sports Car Club (Oak Tree Bowl III) - Registration here
Mar 4: Champcar VIR South 12hr race with Team PistnBroke in an SVT Focus - should be fun. Just signed up today.
May VIR Full: Private track day Friday + 2 day event, hasn't been announced yet.
July-Oct: Not sure yet since a lot of schedules aren't out... but wanting to hit Road Atlanta, Summit Point Main + Shenandoah again.
+Fastivus 2023 whenever that gets announced. It may take care of checking Shenandoah off the list above.
December VIR Full: Also not listed yet.

Basically the plan is to try and do an event every other month roughly, with other stuff going on permitting.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Pertinent info I got from it:
-DO88 IC heat soaks to about 12F above ambient on the stock tune in a 20min session. Perfectly acceptable. Honestly due to the IAT location, it wouldn't surprise me if it's actually lower than reported because of the sensor/intake getting heat soaked on track. What will be important is checking the delta again once tuned.
-DSG temp is fine and increases slowly throughout the whole session. I'd probably feel comfortable running it to 220F or so.
-Coolant temps not a problem.
-Oil temps don't seem to be an issue. We'll see what happens once tuned. Depending on how quickly it approaches 270F once tuned... I MAY see if it's possible to get away with just doing some massive hood vents. I 100% believe that this chassis' primary cooling problem is airflow. More through the radiator and everything, the better it'll be.
-I was running the heat on speed 2 or 3. Nothing crazy but there was a little extra help there.
-On one of my first days at VIR on stock IC, I was able to get to 270F a couple times even in similar 50ish F temps. I wasn't able to do that at all this time. Perhaps the lower IATs help the engine more efficiently get rid of heat while also making more power? Or perhaps the stock IC was heat soaking, so any airflow through it was getting pre-heated before the radiator (moreso than typical driving conditions). I don't think this is right because a more efficient (for IATs) IC is removing more heat from the charge air... meaning that heat has to go somewhere. Not sure what to think of this. But it feels good and temps are not an issue yet.
Does your car have an aux rad?

IATs have a huge effect on engine temps, that cool air is also hitting your other heat exchangers. Really hard to get a sense of cooling effectiveness below 80F or so tho in my experience.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Does your car have an aux rad?

IATs have a huge effect on engine temps, that cool air is also hitting your other heat exchangers. Really hard to get a sense of cooling effectiveness below 80F or so tho in my experience.

Stock radiator.

I agree low temps isn't ideal for testing, but I had similar conditions last February so it's the best I've got for now.

May will be a better test for sure.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Will be interested in your brake bias testing with OBD11 changes.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Logs look good. Nice and conservative.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Final tune revision:
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/8bp-v7-data-logs?log=0&data=6-10-15-26-33-49-54-55

I also recently went down the rabbit hole of trying to understand the ECU oil temperature calculations since nobody really knows exactly what is going on. With the OS 3E HSL patch applied, you can log basically anything within the ECU as long as you have the address and know the formula for it.

There are 5 main temperature calculations:
toil and toil_raw - "toil" is what gets logged on a Cobb I believe. It's the only thing available without the high speed logging patch on mode 22/unlocking the ECU for the 3E patch.

toil_srv_intl, toil_srv_intl_raw, and toil_srv_intl_can all follow each other exactly with the cluster under normal conditions. In fact if everything is working just fine, I don't recall ever seeing any of those three changing in relation to each other (aside from one blip during going from key on engine off to engine starting).

You can also log the oil sensor signal directly. It is a Hella sensor that sends 3 pulses every few seconds. First is for temperature, second is for oil level, third is for diagnostic purposes. All the documentation I can find shows the temp pulse should be 23-82ish ms long. But what's really weird is while monitoring the 5 temperature PIDs above, plus the sensor signal, it slowly creeps up to about 25.5ms pulse time, then drops to zero at about 130F. Then continues trending upwards. I have graphed the values vs all the oil values... it is directly linear with toil_srv_intl, toil_srv_intl_raw, and toil_srv_intl_can (the instrument cluster). Based on my estimates, the sensor might potentially "reset" to zero again at around 280F... but I hope to never have to find that out. I did go back and forth between C and F a few times. The base calculations and formulas are all in C so I found for diagnostic purposes that made it easier to recognize if I got a formula wrong and to prevent rounding errors.

You can see the temp values below:

Normal drive, warmup.
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/oil-temp-data-logs?log=0&data=2-3-4-6-7-8-9-10-11-12

More digging through available PIDs found a reference value available which stayed pretty consistent between 22-23ms. Also take a look at the toil vs the toil_srv_intl lines... as toil_srv_intl is trending upwards towards the toil line, as soon as the sensor pulse time drops to zero, it begins trending away. There are references in the ECU documents that indicate there are times the temperature is modeled and times that it is being reported in real time. I suspect that once the sensor pulse time changes it is being used for real time measurement without any (or as much) background estimations going on.
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/oil-te...rip?log=0&data=1-2-4-7-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

Datalog from a long drive after already warmed up:
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/oil-te...rip?log=0&data=1-2-4-7-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

Then I decided I'd try unplugging the sensor while already warmed up to see what happens about here.. it just continues along using the last known good value for everything (notice no changes in ANY of the values):
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/oil-te...&data=1-2-4-7-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16&mark=446

I high idled the car for a little bit (can see the tail end of that at the beginning of this log) to try and change temperatures a tiny bit. Then plugged the sensor back in and you can see the jump in all the temperature readings. There was a brief period where there are 3 different readings among all the sensors before they re-stabilize like usually with the toil/toil_raw following one trend, and the other 3 "srv_intl" PIDs following their own:
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/oil-te...data=1-2-4-7-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16&mark=1991

I let the car cool for several hours and decided I'd try unplugging the sensor on a "cold" start (about 100F coolant temp) to see what happens...

https://datazap.me/u/derhase/oil-te...ged?log=0&data=1-2-4-7-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16

toil and toil_raw were completely modeled for sure because without the oil sensor data they are now trending up as the car heats up.
toil_srv_intl and toil_srv_intl_raw remained at the last known good temperature (90C).
toil_srv_intl_can was pegged at -40C and never moved.
t_temp_sig_loil (sensor direct signal) was zero.

Once plugged back in, everything goes back to normal:
https://datazap.me/u/derhase/oil-te...ata=1-2-4-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16&mark=230

So not a TON of answers aside from it appears that the cluster is as close to accurate at least at "normal" running temperatures. Trying to find out more about the sensor itself to find out why the signal drops to zero.

Signal vs temperature:
1673319139051.png

So yeah... I'm doing pretty good procrastinating dropping my subframe before the February event. I got my Superpro forward LCA bushings, but waiting on my RS3 LCA vertical bushings to arrive. Supposed to ship tomorrow but we'll see.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
There are 5 main temperature calculations:
toil and toil_raw - "toil" is what gets logged on a Cobb I believe. It's the only thing available without the high speed logging patch on mode 22/unlocking the ECU for the 3E patch.

toil_srv_intl, toil_srv_intl_raw, and toil_srv_intl_can all follow each other exactly with the cluster under normal conditions. In fact if everything is working just fine, I don't recall ever seeing any of those three changing in relation to each other (aside from one blip during going from key on engine off to engine starting).

So yeah... I'm doing pretty good procrastinating dropping my subframe before the February event. I got my Superpro forward LCA bushings, but waiting on my RS3 LCA vertical bushings to arrive. Supposed to ship tomorrow but we'll see.

You also used a temp probe on the oil pan and found it was close to toil_srv_intl, right?

If you need RS3 bushings faster I have a set you could expedite your job with.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
You also used a temp probe on the oil pan and found it was close to toil_srv_intl, right?

If you need RS3 bushings faster I have a set you could expedite your job with.

Correct. Shooting the engine block JUST above the oil pan was 2C lower than what the cluster (and the 3 associated srv_intl PIDs) were reading at the time, and 8C lower than toil and toil_raw.

1673322173359.png

I might take you up on your offer @scrllock if they don't ship in the next couple days.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Actually did some work tonight… need to pull the LCAs tomorrow and will install the Superpro forward bushings, then just waiting on the RS3 bushings to show up )(thanks @scrllock !)

Attachments

• 1DB9ABBF-1ECE-456C-872F-0956471C7A18.jpeg
    1DB9ABBF-1ECE-456C-872F-0956471C7A18.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 935
  • DBC2301B-F67B-4E88-9680-0EEDBFDA5313.jpeg
    DBC2301B-F67B-4E88-9680-0EEDBFDA5313.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,011

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's my understanding that 6spd manual don't need to pull the front subframe to do suspension arms. I'm looking to install my offset LCA bushings soon.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Actually did some work tonight… need to pull the LCAs tomorrow and will install the Superpro forward bushings, then just waiting on the RS3 bushings to show up )(thanks @scrllock !)
What FSB did you do?

tigeo

Autocross Champion