GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealing with hard water

SonicBloom

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
ONR with distilled water is what I use. There are also detailing brands that sell hard water spot remover sprays but I have no experience with those.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The water blade isn't the least bit "hard", it's soft silicone. Keep it clean and nothing mars the paint surface.
U gotta know how to use it though dude. Everyone I’ve met that has ever owned one has shredded their paint except one dude. I remember him always saying, u just gotta know how to use it. I’ve never tried it myself

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Those blades are deadly, one bit of grit and it is scratched deep.

I have hard water and as said wash first thing in the morning and dry with a Big Boi BlowR Pro plus I have ceramic coat so the beaded water just blows off with ease.

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/bigboi/blowr-pro.aspx

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Those blades are deadly, one bit of grit and it is scratched deep.

I have hard water and as said wash first thing in the morning and dry with a Big Boi BlowR Pro plus I have ceramic coat so the beaded water just blows off with ease.

https://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/bigboi/blowr-pro.aspx
My water comes out at about 7.8ph and 340ppm. I’m able to dry just fine with a leaf blower, luckily

but I lived in a place with well water and that shit sucked till I got an in-line hose filter. It reduced ppm from almost 8 or 9 hundred to about less than 200ppm. But after a month it was almost 300ppm. The in-line filter degrades a bit little by little. Luckily I had a blue labs tds meter and as soon as I saw 500ppm I’d swap the in-line filter.

Ghost GTI

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'19 GTI SE DSG
The water blade isn't the least bit "hard", it's soft silicone. Keep it clean and nothing mars the paint surface.
I mean, if you don't care about your paint, go ahead. There's a reason a lot professional detailers don't even want to take a towel to their paint to dry it (they'll use a leaf blower instead). Its definitely marrying it; most people just don't have the eyes or lighting to spot it.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I mean, if you don't care about your paint, go ahead. There's a reason a lot professional detailers don't even want to take a towel to their paint to dry it (they'll use a leaf blower instead). Its definitely marrying it; most people just don't have the eyes or lighting to spot it.
Dude you should see my ryobi leaf blower. Dries the car quick as shit

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I use a really plush microfiber drying towel but use the drag method. No pressure.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Dude you should see my ryobi leaf blower. Dries the car quick as shit
Stihl backpack blower here..... takes 5 min to dry my wheels and tires LOL

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Never put a single scratch on any car in years of use. It's all about making sure the blade is clean, and that's not hard to manage when you "care about your paint" as I do.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I lived in a place with bad hard water. I washed with ONR with tap water, washing each panel and immediately drying that panel one at a time with a fresh microfiber towel.

Spots were only an issue if I missed some water and it dried, but would usually wipe away with a fresh microfiber as long as I caught it soon after washing.

If you *really* want spot free hit it with some Optimum Spray Wax after drying.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I lived in a place with bad hard water. I washed with ONR with tap water, washing each panel and immediately drying that panel one at a time with a fresh microfiber towel.

Spots were only an issue if I missed some water and it dried, but would usually wipe away with a fresh microfiber as long as I caught it soon after washing.

If you *really* want spot free hit it with some Optimum Spray Wax after drying.
If one uses a soap with a wax component, it can become easier to dry and avoid spots. Even a wet wax type rinse aid can help a little too