GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer Clutch Replacement Cost Discrepancy

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
4-5 weeks ago I called the local dealer for an estimate on clutch replacement. My stock unit is on it's way out after 7k miles of APR Stage 1. I would provide the parts and was quoted $835(~7hrs x $120/hr) and a loaner would be provided for the day. This was the best quote I received even beating any reputable independent shops in the area by a fair margin.

Weeks go by, the clutch is getting worse and its time to schedule the replacement. I've received the new clutch(Sachs SRE kit) and call up the dealer again to confirm the estimate and make an appointment. This time they quote me $1200(10hrs x $120/hr). It was the same person on the line that I spoke with prior and I informed them of the previous quote they provided. She said she would see if she could find her notes on the previous estimate and call me back. I

She calls back shortly thereafter and gives me a final quote of $980(~8hrs x $120/hr). She never did find the original notes i'm guessing.

I'm not upset about the price as it is still better than the independent shops that quoted me but i'm a bit miffed how 3 different phone calls with the same person at the same dealer resulted in 3 different estimates. Maybe someone with dealer work experience could clue me in as to how this might happen. This particular dealer is already ~40mi away and the next nearest is ~120mi so going to another dealer is really not an option.

coleylikesbacon

Ready to race!
Always replace the bearing if they're opening it up anyway.

As for the hours, they should have a book-rate, not waffle each time you call.

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
Have you looked into a local shop doing it? The one that did my full kit had it done in half the time you're being quoted.

boomkapow

Passed Driver's Ed
That's how dealerships work. They have a program that tells them how many hours to charge for. Some of the estimates are good, and quite a few predict way too many hours. Makes me wonder why she gave you 3 different prices though...Maybe call back and talk to the manager?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Have you looked into a local shop doing it? The one that did my full kit had it done in half the time you're being quoted.

I'm currently on a 6 month stint in NW Montana for work. My options are very limited. I visited a few local shops and I honestly just don't trust most of them to work on my car. This is a part of the country where not driving a lifted pickup or a Subaru outback means you get weird looks. Most of the independent shops out here look like their automotive repair knowledge doesn't extend beyond 1998 Silverado 1500s. Not only were the local shops charging more but I have a hard time trusting a local shop to work on what seems like the only GTI within a 50 mile radius.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
That's how dealerships work. They have a program that tells them how many hours to charge for. Some of the estimates are good, and quite a few predict way too many hours. Makes me wonder why she gave you 3 different prices though...Maybe call back and talk to the manager?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I called my "favorite" dealer/service adviser back in Chicagoland to get their thoughts. They said 8 hours is what they would quote but could be convinced to go as low as 7 hours since this particular job does not include flywheel removal/replacement.

\w/

Ready to race!
get quotes from different dealers (doesn't really matter if its 120 miles away) then call your dealer, tell them the quotes you got and ask them to match it (assuming you get lower quotes)

GTIJeff

Passed Driver's Ed
Its a 6 hour job...I paid for 6 hours at a racing shop to install mine, and then was told by my local vw that it was 6 hours as well...$600. Thats what I'd pay.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
They said 8 hours is what they would quote but could be convinced to go as low as 7 hours since this particular job does not include flywheel removal/replacement.

It is possible that the flywheel will need to be replaced. (or at least refinished) You won't really know until they crack it open :(.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
It is possible that the flywheel will need to be replaced. (or at least refinished) You won't really know until they crack it open :(.

Absolutely right and I am expecting that this could be a possibility. I'm fairly optimistic as it has been slipping for less than a thousand miles and I have tried to go easy on it with consequential replacement in mind.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
get quotes from different dealers (doesn't really matter if its 120 miles away) then call your dealer, tell them the quotes you got and ask them to match it (assuming you get lower quotes)

Dealer #3(the one 120mi away) told me 9 hours even without flywheel replacement. No bargaining chip gained here.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I have one quote at $1800 to $1900 for a BFI Stage 3 from a local shop, I also have gotten a quote from Haus of Dub that is pretty good for their kit.

If you can make the drive to Akron, OH I would shoot them a PM.

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have one quote at $1800 to $1900 for a BFI Stage 3 from a local shop, I also have gotten a quote from Haus of Dub that is pretty good for their kit.

If you can make the drive to Akron, OH I would shoot them a PM.

I'm in NW Montana temporarily for a few months so that would be quite a drive!

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I believe there are only one or two pics of this kit floating around so figured I'd share. The gummy bears were a nice touch from Sachs. Also, anyone who may be intending to order this kit straight from Sachs, expect a C.O.D. charge on the package to cover the customs fees. Cost me an extra $23.85.