GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dead battery weirdness - headlight switch OFF and passenger low beam on???

greatoz

Ready to race!
this morning i walked into my garage and saw that the passenger side low beam lamp was lit and dim. the headlight switch was in the vertical OFF position. car was totally dead, only that one lamp was lit and the remote managed to unlock the car - but no dash lights, no interior lights, and it wouldn't start.

background, nothing electronic on the car in the last week, not even VAG-COM mods.

i jumped it with a battery box, but the battery was totally flat and i had to wait 15 minutes for the battery to come a BIT back to life before it'd crank over.

anyone else experience this? should i check for a wiring fault in the headlight switch where i soldered in the P3Cars boost gauge, or is this something that i should chalk up to random weirdness?

tGo

VW Villan

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds to me like the parking light was on. Did you check if the turn signal was still activated? If the passenger side light was on, the turn signal stalk would be in the 'right' position for Left hand drive cars.

greatoz

Ready to race!
Sounds to me like the parking light was on. Did you check if the turn signal was still activated? If the passenger side light was on, the turn signal stalk would be in the 'right' position for Left hand drive cars.

that was it. weird but I was able to replicate and am happy that my extremely careful splice/soldering/heatshrink wrapped headlight switch harness didn't have to get blown apart to check for faults!

tGo

VW Villan

Passed Driver's Ed
It's a weird feature that I'm pretty sure no one really wants! I see it quite often on lots of different cars, but I don't think anyone does it deliberately.

Glad I saved you from destroying your headlights.