GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Strut replacement options

bbroecker37

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
So I just picked up some Racingline lowering springs used for cheap. I can't wait to get rid of those nasty wheel gaps. I was going to install them on my stock shocks and struts and do the DCC recalibration via OBD11. I'm considering replacing the shocks on my car since it has 75k miles on it now. The stock suspension feels great. I don't think there is anything wrong with it but it is getting up there in miles. Plus I would hate to go through the trouble of removing the front suspension multiple times.

I found two options other than OEM. The Bilstein B4 and the B6 for cars with DCC. Is it worth it to upgrade to the B6 even though it's a bit more stiff? I'm hoping to keep the same comfort level as the OEM shocks but I know stiffer is better for cornering. By the way, I mostly ride around in comfort mode or sport mode. Sport mode can be rough on crappy roads and I would hate driving my car if it was like that all the time.

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I am in the same boat as you :(. I actually installed the racingline lowering springs a few years ago but I don't think the DCC was ever recalibrated. I am planning on doing that sometime this weekend. I got around to thinking about where to go from the stock DCC suspension since I would like to change them at some point (the car is just shy of 50k miles right now) and I heard that B6 was too stiff for some people and that the B4 is the way to go if you want a more comfortable ride (probably just the same quality as stock). I may start looking into the B4. If I end up going that direction and getting them installed I can let you know how they feel. I am still in search for an OEM+ feel though and that may involve replacing the racingline lowering springs to the H&R sport springs or eibach lowering springs according to what I have come across in the forums.

Last edited:

bbroecker37

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
I am in the same boat as you :(. I actually installed the racingline lowering springs a few years ago but I don't think the DCC was ever recalibrated. I am planning on doing that sometime this weekend. I got around to thinking about where to go from the stock DCC suspension since I would like to change them at some point (the car is just shy of 50k miles right now) and I heard that B6 was too stiff for some people and that the B4 is the way to go if you want a more comfortable ride (probably just the same quality as stock). I may start looking into the B4. If I end up going that direction and getting them installed I can let you know how they feel. I am still in search for an OEM+ feel though and that may involve replacing the racingline lowering springs to the H&R sport springs or eibach lowering springs according to what I have come across in the forums.
I heard once the suspension is recalibrated, it should drive like it did stock with the racinglines. I'm still researching this since the shocks cost so much and there is not much of a price difference between the B4s and the B6s. I was leaning towards the B6s since they feel like Normal mode in comfort mode. I've been driving around in Normal mode now just to see if I can live with comfort mode not being the same.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I run B4 damptronics on my car. Have never run the stock (Monroes?) but the damptronics work great. I drive in Comfort 99% of the time, otherwise I would have gone B6s. Even in Comfort the damptronics aren't as soft as my factory Golf TDI (as expected) but it's close. Normal mode is too stiff for me, but I'm old (spirited).

bbroecker37

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Do you use lowering springs with the B4s by chance? And yes the stock setup uses Monroes. I assume the B4s + lowering springs + DCC recalibration should give me as close to stock ride quality as possible while having a lower vehicle.

I also was thinking that the B6s might help with wheel hop because they're stiffer.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Factory GTI springs for me. I run the DSG front springs on my manual TDI since the engine is a little heavier. I don't know how they will play with lowering springs... stock height for me.

I haven't read too much about going with stiffer springs to reduce wheel hop, normally seems to be people talking about stiffer engine/transmission mounts.

BippityBopMeUp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I heard once the suspension is recalibrated, it should drive like it did stock with the racinglines. I'm still researching this since the shocks cost so much and there is not much of a price difference between the B4s and the B6s. I was leaning towards the B6s since they feel like Normal mode in comfort mode. I've been driving around in Normal mode now just to see if I can live with comfort mode not being the same.
This gives me hope. I really don't want to be spending money if I can just recalibrate. I just need to get my jackstands back from my brother-in-law and I can do the recalibration in my garage. Thanks for your input.

bbroecker37

Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
This gives me hope. I really don't want to be spending money if I can just recalibrate. I just need to get my jackstands back from my brother-in-law and I can do the recalibration in my garage. Thanks for your input.
I installed the Racingline lowering springs this past weekend with the stock DCC struts. The installation wasn't too bad. I did not use the 2x4 method. I ended up removing the knuckle with the strut still installed. After I installed the springs I recalibrated the DCC suspension using OBD11. I was getting errors but I eventually got it to work. I took it for a ride afterward and noticed a slightly stiffer ride while going over bumps. When cruising in comfort mode it feels like it normally does. On the highway, it feels normal but when I drive over bridges, I feel the bump more. Handling is greatly improved especially cornering. The car feels more planted and has less body roll.

I'm planning on recalibrating DCC again after the suspension settles. I'm sure the values will change.