MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Log looks ok, rail pressure is dipping a bit much on the 4th gear pull in dense air. You could upgrade the HPFP but if you start in lower gears and in warmer temps you probably wont get much pressure drop at all.

https://datazap.me/u/stivine6/datalog1-4th-gear-pull-wot-3400-5300rpm?log=0&data=14-36&zoom=6-236
Thanks!! Does that mean it's not getting enough fuel in 4th gear?

Note, I wouldn't usually do a pull in 4th since the gears are so long but for the sake of datalog I wanted to check it in 3rd and 4th gear.

3rd gear looks ok?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Thanks!! Does that mean it's not getting enough fuel in 4th gear?

Note, I wouldn't usually do a pull in 4th since the gears are so long but for the sake of datalog I wanted to check it in 3rd and 4th gear.

3rd gear looks ok?
It is getting enough fuel but the pressure to the injector is not reaching target in peak torque area forcing the ECU to keep them open longer. In your case when it is stock HPFP maxing out in lower rpm there is still room for extended injection window but fuel atomization might suffer.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
It is getting enough fuel but the pressure to the injector is not reaching target in peak torque area forcing the ECU to keep them open longer. In your case when it is stock HPFP maxing out in lower rpm there is still room for extended injection window but fuel atomization might suffer.

Is there any major concerns I need to worry about long term?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Is there any major concerns I need to worry about long term?
Keep an eye on railpressure and if you mostly do pulls as I said from lower gears and rev out a bit more so you land in higher rpm after shifts I would not worry.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Keep an eye on railpressure and if you mostly do pulls as I said from lower gears and rev out a bit more so you land in higher rpm after shifts I would not worry.

Thanks Chris,

I just realized while driving today that 4th gear at around 3400 rpm+ on the freeway is within the powerband that most people would use on the IS20, is my fuel pressure a lot different from others with the same basic stage 2 setup?

For learning purposes - Which values are important that i should be looking at exactly?

1681218704134.png

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Thanks Chris,

I just realized while driving today that 4th gear at around 3400 rpm+ on the freeway is within the powerband that most people would use on the IS20, is my fuel pressure a lot different from others with the same basic stage 2 setup?

For learning purposes - Which values are important that i should be looking at exactly?

View attachment 278069
https://datazap.me/u/stivine6/datal...-5300rpm?log=0&data=14-17-18-22-36&zoom=6-236
These are the important values for DI fueling and in your case it is running out of HPFP volume that then effects railpressure and injection time. If this was in summer temps I would tell you to upgrade fueling but this is worst case scenario and not alarming yet but not good either.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
https://datazap.me/u/stivine6/datal...-5300rpm?log=0&data=14-17-18-22-36&zoom=6-236
These are the important values for DI fueling and in your case it is running out of HPFP volume that then effects railpressure and injection time. If this was in summer temps I would tell you to upgrade fueling but this is worst case scenario and not alarming yet but not good either.

Thanks for the help Chris! This is more complicated than i had initially thought (reviewing datalogs) but i appreciate your time and I'll keep researching. What numbers should i be looking at for healthy optimum fueling? What are the consequences of HPFP maxing out? In other words, do i need to worry about my motor blowing up?? lol

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Thanks for the help Chris! This is more complicated than i had initially thought (reviewing datalogs) but i appreciate your time and I'll keep researching. What numbers should i be looking at for healthy optimum fueling? What are the consequences of HPFP maxing out? In other words, do i need to worry about my motor blowing up?? lol
Here is a log of a hybrid with an upgraded hpfp. It is running around 75ish %. It will demand more in the midrange and taper up top.

https://datazap.me/u/daks/log-1663902946?log=0&data=8-15-19

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Here is a log of a hybrid with an upgraded hpfp. It is running around 75ish %. It will demand more in the midrange and taper up top.

https://datazap.me/u/daks/log-1663902946?log=0&data=8-15-19

Ah so basically what i want to see is the HPFP NOT maxing out? From my logs it looks like the HPFP is maxing out initially (3600 RPM) and tapers off a bit towards the top end?

I should mention I'm on pump gas 93 with 91 stage 2 tune. No plans on going any further than that in terms of upgraded turbo or different fueling.

I just don't know how to read the other values on the graph

• Injection time primary pulse average US
  • HPFP controller output mg/stk

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Ah so basically what i want to see is the HPFP NOT maxing out? From my logs it looks like the HPFP is maxing out initially (3600 RPM) and tapers off a bit towards the top end?

I should mention I'm on pump gas 93 with 91 stage 2 tune. No plans on going any further than that in terms of upgraded turbo or different fueling.

I just don't know how to read the other values on the graph

• Injection time primary pulse average US
  • HPFP controller output mg/stk
Correct, you want to have room.

MK7Fanatic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI
Correct, you want to have room.

So in this case do I need a hpfp? From what I read stage 2 pump gas I don't need it unless I plan on going E which we don't have here.

Am I just overthinking here, or is my car is good to enjoy as I please? 😂 I just don't want to do anything that will hurt the motor.

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
I think - and someone please correct me on this if wrong - that HPFP at 100% is not an issue in and of itself, as long as the target boost and AFR are being reached with no weird spikes or features. I used to see it in 4th gear pulls on EQT stage 1 91 with a stock HPFP.