GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dashboard airbag bulge

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Well it’s funny. Tonight I saw the same basic outline on mine. IMO it depends on certain lighting conditions.

ogrisker

Ready to race!
I have always noticed a bit of a bulge on the passenger side of the dash where the airbag is. I found two threads on here but not too many replies. My issue is not as pronounced as the image below taken from another user, but I can visibly see what I have circled in red. Is this normal among majority of MK7's or is it a cause for concern?

+1

mine doesn't have a "bulge" but I do see an outline of the AB

marcg611

Ready to race!
LOL, I'm sorry.

Here it is on my car, previous photo was another user on the forum:

I have a North America 16 GTI SE and mine looks very similar, like a very faint uniform outline when in the right light.
I swear it wasn't there when new, I did have my radio control unit replaced 2wks after new and I was starting to suspect they installed it incorrectly or something causing upward pressure..
This eases my concerns and now I don't need to tinker with removing the module to inspect.. thank you lol

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
I dont have this, 17 s 6mt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: I did see this the other day. If the lighting is good it shows but only in real good lighting and while looking right at it.

Last edited:

boratstrong

I have always noticed a bit of a bulge on the passenger side of the dash where the airbag is. I found two threads on here but not too many replies. My issue is not as pronounced as the image below taken from another user, but I can visibly see what I have circled in red. Is this normal among majority of MK7's or is it a cause for concern?

I have the "bulge" and the faint outline as in the picture. Only visible at a certain lighting but the "bulge" can be felt when running a finger over it (no bulge jokes please lol). 2017 Sport.
Definitely wasn't there in the beginning, noticed it about a year ago.
Can't say that it bothers me.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
Do you guys use any kind of shine/cleaner product on your dash? I’ve used them in previous vehicles and noticed this bulge/outline shortly afterwards.

Now, I simply wipe off the dash with a microfiber towel and haven’t had this issue come back.

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
Do you guys use any kind of shine/cleaner product on your dash? I’ve used them in previous vehicles and noticed this bulge/outline shortly afterwards.

Now, I simply wipe off the dash with a microfiber towel and haven’t had this issue come back.
Nope, just a damp microfiber. A car with an irreversible shiny dash is in my opinion totaled. :p
My car is pictured in post #1. The dash on my car (built 12/15) looks no different today than the day I first noticed it. Btw, I park outside.