GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Curious behavior depending on auto vs manual DSG mode (2018 R)

ashmostro

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm a Golf and DSG novice but this seems like an anomaly to me rather than a problem with the car as designed/built.

WOT shifts using the paddles should reasonably mimic WOT shifts in S mode with the exception that the human is determining the shift points rather than the ECU. And since there is no shortage of acceleration videos/reviews that show the car accelerating just fine with WOT (be it using launch control or not) it seems odd that the car would feel like it was bogging down (my terminology) in S when that should be the absolute fastest the car can shift which is pretty much substantiated by the 4.5s 0-60 times and reviews showing the car accelerates properly, quickly and without issue. I would think using the paddles would be the problem in that the human was selecting poor shift points as compared to the ECU.

So if it's bogging down in S, that definitely seems to indicate an issue that shouldn't happen.

I've gone over the 1000 mile break-in period and have not tried LC yet but I have tromped on it and the car accelerated just fine as it went up through the gears. I did not notice any post-shift lag as ashmostro encountered.

Well worded and agree with your analysis.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps in S mode the dsg is I itating the shift command at too high of an rpm which triggers a fuel cutoff that shows up during or right after the shift. Whereas with paddles I'm requesting the shift around where the tach swings past 5.5k.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
It doesn't. Otherwise it wouldn't shift up so early for many people.

Pretty much all automated transmissions make some adjustments to driving style. That doesn't mean it will shift @ 5k in D at partial throttle but some adjustments are made.

George at BMS said it is a good idea to put your piggyback on as soon as you have had the DSG reset/updated/flashed as it DOES learn the new power shift points etc.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
George at BMS said it is a good idea to put your piggyback on as soon as you have had the DSG reset/updated/flashed as it DOES learn the new power shift points etc.
What about if I've done the DSG reset (VCDS/OBDeleven) with the JB4 installed for a year already? I did the reset a couple of months ago and installed the JB4 a year ago, and the shift points didn't change. Shifts were smoother though.

Note: I'm genuinely interested in this, so if I came off as harsh in my previous post, I apologize. I was going off of my experience and the thread I linked.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
What about if I've done the DSG reset (VCDS/OBDeleven) with the JB4 installed for a year already? I did the reset a couple of months ago and installed the JB4 a year ago, and the shift points didn't change. Shifts were smoother though.

Note: I'm genuinely interested in this, so if I came off as harsh in my previous post, I apologize. I was going off of my experience and the thread I linked.

That's what I meant. It isn't going to change the shift points, it's going to learn where the power is and shift it more smoothly.

ashmostro

Passed Driver's Ed
I've definitely notice this issue when doing pulls in S/auto on my 2018. Dec 2017 build date (Vin 181xxx). Otherwise I'm totally happy with the 7 speed DSG.

Thanks for confirming! Helpful data point.

I also don’t have a ton of complaints about the trans beyond this and the occasional confusion from a stop. I’ve driven worse-programmed dual clutches.

I also have confidence that future updates or tunes will resolve the 7-speed’s challenges in this platform. I’m okay with waiting given the car’s other far more positive attributes.

Jc9963

I have experienced the same issue in my 18 dsg. I have a uni stg 2 tune. I never did any wot pulls before the tune, so I don’t know if it was an issue before hand. I definitely felt a drop then an increase in power after shifts in wot. I thought it was tune related, but it sounds like stock Rs are doing the same thing. I agree it is just an update or TCU tune away from getting fixed.

ashmostro

Passed Driver's Ed
I have experienced the same issue in my 18 dsg. I have a uni stg 2 tune. I never did any wot pulls before the tune, so I don’t know if it was an issue before hand. I definitely felt a drop then an increase in power after shifts in wot. I thought it was tune related, but it sounds like stock Rs are doing the same thing. I agree it is just an update or TCU tune away from getting fixed.

Do you see different behavior when shifting manually?

rc pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow 18R here not unhappy like I’m hearing here.

So S mode shifting itself there’s a slight spark interrupt on the gearchange to limit power on the shift. M mode shifts great no interrupt.

Only thing I notice is if you go wot fast it feels like it kills the power like turning the key off to make the gearchange. Thought it was meant that way. Now I found if you slowly go to wot it’s almost gone or much better.

I took it to the track bone stock 13.19@103 then loaded a map6 JB4 12.52@108 was quite pleased.

Jc9963

Do you see different behavior when shifting manually?

I did notice a difference manually shifting. The dsg shifts are quick and almost instant. In Sport/race at wot, it feels like the dsg is just really slow to shift on its own. The best way for me to describe it is it resembles gear changes in a manual. The gas completely cuts out, followed by a slow for a dsg shift.

ashmostro

Passed Driver's Ed
I did notice a difference manually shifting. The dsg shifts are quick and almost instant. In Sport/race at wot, it feels like the dsg is just really slow to shift on its own. The best way for me to describe it is it resembles gear changes in a manual. The gas completely cuts out, followed by a slow for a dsg shift.

Thanks. Similar to what I've experienced.

RicHSAD

Passed Driver's Ed
Noticed the same thing as well. Seems like there's some kind of delay before gear engagement that doesn't happen in manual mode.

racerboy55

Passed Driver's Ed
Noticed the same thing as well. Seems like there's some kind of delay before gear engagement that doesn't happen in manual mode.

Read Somewhere that this is a known ’bug’ with mk 7.5. Dunno if theres fix for this available/coming - worth to ask from dealers anyways

lostru

Ready to race!
Here's my 2 cents so take it for what its worth. All automatics have done this for ages. Its helps with longevity. When its in auto and allowed to do its thing, it will cut fuel and boost as it shifts at the top of its TQ and HP Band. Now if you shift it manually, it bypasses this feature due to your inputs. Instead of shifting 100% of the time at max TQ and HP when we mash the throttle it will now only be done at most 20% of the time when you override it. This equates to longevity of the transmission. As I said, its just 2 cents worth.