GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Curb rashed....solutions?

gchen6850

Ready to race!
Depending on how bad the curb rash is, and how much of a nut you may or may not be for perfection - you can wet sand it down using about three grades of ever finer sand paper.
Finish with some polish.
I did this by hand to a couple of spots on my former MK6's Detroits.
Not perfect, but it worked for me.
It passed the walk up to the car and not really notice anything test.
Mind sharing some products you recommend/used. And what grits of sandpaper?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
How do you enable mirror dip?

Paul: you live in Ireland (what a fantastic country!), so you have a "Rest of World" model Golf (not a "North American Region" model). Then it's more likely that you will have memory module in your passenger side mirror (I'd be surprised if your GTI doesn't have this module).

So there are two things that you need to do; You first need to enable the facility, then you need to adjust the mirror position

To see if your car has mirror-dip do this:
1. With the car's ignition turned-on, press the CAR button on the RHS of the media head
2. Press the screen panel that says "setup" (it's on the bottom LHS and it has a symbol of a gear)
3. Press the screen panel that says " mirrors and windows"
4. Under the "mirror" section of the next screen, you will an entry that says something like "dip in reverse" if you have the correct module. If you have it, put a tick in the box next to the entry.
5. Exit all the screens

To adjust the mirror to the correct position do this:
1. Turn-on the ignition
2. Put the mirror position knob to "L" (i.e. passenger side for those of us that drive on the correct side of the road - haha)
3. Select reverse gear
4. Adjust the mirror to the correct position so that you can see the kerb near the rear wheel.
5. LEAVE THE MIRROR KNOB ON "L"
6. Take the gear out of reverse (I think that the mirror returns to the normal position at this point)

That's it. Now what should happen is that every time that you select reverse, the mirror will automatically go to the position that you set and the mirror will return to the normal position when the car is moving forward at about 5 km/h (but remember to leave the mirror knob on "L").

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
In the US you need to buy the mirrors that have the function and retrofit them and then code the function through vagcom (if i remember correctly). Ours don't come with mirror dip stock.

False. US cars can take advantage of mirror dip with some simple VAGCOM coding. Only thing we can't do is program exactly where the mirror dips to, as that requires the memory module.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
False. US cars can take advantage of mirror dip with some simple VAGCOM coding. Only thing we can't do is program exactly where the mirror dips to, as that requires the memory module.
Ah thanks for the correction! So after coding what is the mirror dip function like? It always just dips to a certain preset point?

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Mind sharing some products you recommend/used. And what grits of sandpaper?

I used 80, 180, and then 220.
(I didn't come up with this myself, some MK6 forum member had posted it.)
The course grit filed down the eye catching rough spots, and then the finer sandpaper (wet) smoothed that down to a dull haze.
I then used a polish on a drill to give it shine.
Like I said, the spots weren't perfect and if I were an anal person they might have bothered me.
But, it passed the approach the car and not notice test for me.
I should point out, these were for small section of mild damage located low on the wheels, close to the bead.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Ah thanks for the correction! So after coding what is the mirror dip function like? It always just dips to a certain preset point?

Yep. It just dips down a set amount from wherever you have it set for normal driving. I've noticed it sometimes returns to an ever so slightly higher position than what I originally had set, but the advantages greatly outweigh that minor inconvenience.

HXP

Ready to race!

Attachments

• 2015 Civic R.JPG
    2015 Civic R.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 647

PaulJoseph22

Ready to race!
Paul: you live in Ireland (what a fantastic country!), so you have a "Rest of World" model Golf (not a "North American Region" model). Then it's more likely that you will have memory module in your passenger side mirror (I'd be surprised if your GTI doesn't have this module).

So there are two things that you need to do; You first need to enable the facility, then you need to adjust the mirror position

To see if your car has mirror-dip do this:
1. With the car's ignition turned-on, press the CAR button on the RHS of the media head
2. Press the screen panel that says "setup" (it's on the bottom LHS and it has a symbol of a gear)
3. Press the screen panel that says " mirrors and windows"
4. Under the "mirror" section of the next screen, you will an entry that says something like "dip in reverse" if you have the correct module. If you have it, put a tick in the box next to the entry.
5. Exit all the screens

To adjust the mirror to the correct position do this:
1. Turn-on the ignition
2. Put the mirror position knob to "L" (i.e. passenger side for those of us that drive on the correct side of the road - haha)
3. Select reverse gear
4. Adjust the mirror to the correct position so that you can see the kerb near the rear wheel.
5. LEAVE THE MIRROR KNOB ON "L"
6. Take the gear out of reverse (I think that the mirror returns to the normal position at this point)

That's it. Now what should happen is that every time that you select reverse, the mirror will automatically go to the position that you set and the mirror will return to the normal position when the car is moving forward at about 5 km/h (but remember to leave the mirror knob on "L").

Thanks a million for your assistance and your nice comments about Ireland. Much appreciated.

RAY_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I used 80, 180, and then 220.
(I didn't come up with this myself, some MK6 forum member had posted it.)
The course grit filed down the eye catching rough spots, and then the finer sandpaper (wet) smoothed that down to a dull haze.
I then used a polish on a drill to give it shine.
Like I said, the spots weren't perfect and if I were an anal person they might have bothered me.
But, it passed the approach the car and not notice test for me.
I should point out, these were for small section of mild damage located low on the wheels, close to the bead.

Did you use the flappy sanding discs that you attach on a drill? I saw a video on YT with the guy using it to remove scuff marks on his polished viper rims. I couldn't tell how bad his rims were but it seemed to work. I can't find anyone within an hour of my location that would do the job due to the type of finish the Austin wheel has. My only recourse is to buy new. Still, I wouldn't mind trying to fix it a bit. It doesn't have to be perfect.