Votes: 2 5.7%
  • New Mazda6

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Used B8 A4

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

mcomora

Ready to race!
My friend is looking for a car, but knows nothing about them. Trying to keep it under $30k, but can probably stretch to ~$32k. His main choices right now are some used B8 Audi A4s and the Wolfsburg GTI. I'm trying to tell him that FWD Audis suck (all the used A4s on sale locally right now are FWD/CVT), and he's being somewhat receptive to that advice. Styling seems to be his biggest concern. He likes the front of the mk5 GTI/GLI but the rear of the mk6 GLI (I'm guessing he doesn't like anything too boxy). He can't drive stick and isn't willing to learn. Seems to like sedans more than hatches, coupes, wagons, crossovers, etc. If used, it must have low-ish miles, preferably under 20k. No rebuilt/salvage titles or major repairs. I'm making a poll with what I think would be good choices, but feel free to comment with other suggestions.

Austin_W

Go Kart Champion
My friend is looking for a car, but knows nothing about them. Trying to keep it under $30k, but can probably stretch to ~$32k. His main choices right now are some used B8 Audi A4s and the Wolfsburg GTI. I'm trying to tell him that FWD Audis suck (all the used A4s on sale locally right now are FWD/CVT), and he's being somewhat receptive to that advice. Styling seems to be his biggest concern. He likes the front of the mk5 GTI/GLI but the rear of the mk6 GLI (I'm guessing he doesn't like anything too boxy). He can't drive stick and isn't willing to learn. Seems to like sedans more than hatches, coupes, wagons, crossovers, etc. If used, it must have low-ish miles, preferably under 20k. No rebuilt/salvage titles or major repairs. I'm making a poll with what I think would be good choices, but feel free to comment with other suggestions.

:eek: That part is shocking! He won't even learn? I guess there's always the DSG.. But someone who doesn't know how to drive a MT doesn't really know some of the true joys of driving. Not bashing the DSG at all, it's lightning fast and would be a blast. I live in the city and sit in traffic a lot and still enjoy it. Can't beat rowing out 6 gears on a long on ramp.

Im not a B8 A4 fan.. something about dat ass is off.

TBH, I imagine your results will be pretty biased/skewed, based on the fact that this is a MK6 GTI forum :D

30-32k, he could step up into a lightly used .:R. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Bender1

Banned
Sounds like he's just not into cars much. In which case I don't think I'd recommend a VW product at all. That's prime Toyota territory.

Bingo. Camry V6. Plenty of power, decently styled, soft ride.

Accord V6 if he wants the power, better styling (IMO), and a bit more fun of a ride.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I voted the GLI. Never try to talk someone into something they don't like (a hatchback in this case). The GLI is a nice sedan, better and cheaper to own than a used A4 IMO.

The new Mazda 6 or Accord V6 would also be good pickups for him. I'd probably go with the 6, that thing is a great deal and sexy IMO. Also awesome mileage and nice handling. The new Accords are also sweet rides.

It sounds like he has money and wants something kind of nice, MKVs are a little old at this point, I still like them, but seems like he may as well get something newer.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't subject anyone to a Camry who remotely gives a shit about cars... In terms of fun 6 > Accord > Camry.

SoCalGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I voted the GLI. Never try to talk someone into something they don't like (a hatchback in this case). The GLI is a nice sedan, better and cheaper to own than a used A4 IMO.

The new Mazda 6 or Accord V6 would also be good pickups for him. I'd probably go with the 6, that thing is a great deal and sexy IMO. Also awesome mileage and nice handling. The new Accords are also sweet rides.

It sounds like he has money and wants something kind of nice, MKVs are a little old at this point, I still like them, but seems like he may as well get something newer.

^this :thumbsup:

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
No indication that the purchaser does.

If he cares enough to notice/have an opinion on the front and rear ends of GTIs, he cares too much to buy a Camry. Truth be told, I haven't driven a new one, but I've driven several and they make me cringe... F150s feel better.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion
F.) None of the above.

Accord. Maybe an Altima.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Likes the MK5 but wants one less than 20k on the clock yet has 30k to spend :confused:

Voted Mazda6.