GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental ExtremeContact Sport - Feb 2017

Swoope

Ready to race!
guessing same tire better wet grip.

there is something floating around that tire was being run at the rolex 24..

as again, friday conti tire race warm and dry. 24 rolex, cold or wet. or cold and wet.

the 24 did not fail again! lol

got my face sunburned on friday. watched 19 hrs of the 24 from home.

one day i will stay for the weekend. but it will be a perfect storm.

beers

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
i asked dennis at the conti booth at the rolex 24 this weekend..

it was the tire he mentioned. but 340 tw. has me confused.

but i did see it in person, and did the poke with the finger test. and it is soft.

beers

Why do you want such a low TW? This is a number that compares with a standard tyre and shows how longer you are going with this tyre compared with the standardized one. Note that the standard tyre is not a global standard but one the company chose, so TW means...nothing! As we know Continental tyres are on the soft side, 200TW will wear pretty fast. Tyre technology has traveled a long way since soft=more traction. So, you should look for a tyre with good traction and you shouldn't get confused with the TW number. For example MPS4S has a 340TW. This means that it will last longer than the MPSS but the traction should be the same (probably better).
Check the tyrereviews.co.uk site, Michelin sent their MPS4S to ADAC and the resaults are amazing! You just need 19" wheels.

Swoope

Ready to race!
Why do you want such a low TW? This is a number that compares with a standard tyre and shows how longer you are going with this tyre compared with the standardized one. Note that the standard tyre is not a global standard but one the company chose, so TW means...nothing! As we know Continental tyres are on the soft side, 200TW will wear pretty fast. Tyre technology has traveled a long way since soft=more traction. So, you should look for a tyre with good traction and you shouldn't get confused with the TW number. For example MPS4S has a 340TW. This means that it will last longer than the MPSS but the traction should be the same (probably better).
Check the tyrereviews.co.uk site, Michelin sent their MPS4S to ADAC and the resaults are amazing! You just need 19" wheels.

i do a fair amount of track days.. i have a rx8 car that i just use on track and to and from..

well, it was in time out for about 18 months.. so the gti got the tires and wheels that i use on the gti. well, i killed pretty much 4 tires that would have been just fine on the rx8..

have and will run the mich pss. the 4 tires i killed were pss and on the front of the gti.. yes i know about tire pressure..

just not enough camber in front stock and it is not adjustable.

but the car is damn fun on track with the PP.

pay to play. the 200 tw tires would avoid the heat build up better, dont know if they would chunk like the pss did.

managed to kill one tire in 4 20 min sessions. the weather was cool, and i was on target with banking.. :)

the 500 mile trip home was a bit unnerving. i am still pulling fiber cords out of my rear wheel well.

as to the video above and everything i have read about the extmconi tires. they do the same thing the pss tire did.. but running the correct camber for track.. the video seems like it was a 3 or 4 lap trial for top time. all the reviews say the tire chunks after a few track events..

i hope the new tire is not the same.

beers

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
i do a fair amount of track days.. i have a rx8 car that i just use on track and to and from..

well, it was in time out for about 18 months.. so the gti got the tires and wheels that i use on the gti. well, i killed pretty much 4 tires that would have been just fine on the rx8..

have and will run the mich pss. the 4 tires i killed were pss and on the front of the gti.. yes i know about tire pressure..

just not enough camber in front stock and it is not adjustable.

but the car is damn fun on track with the PP.

pay to play. the 200 tw tires would avoid the heat build up better, dont know if they would chunk like the pss did.

managed to kill one tire in 4 20 min sessions. the weather was cool, and i was on target with banking.. :)

the 500 mile trip home was a bit unnerving. i am still pulling fiber cords out of my rear wheel well.

as to the video above and everything i have read about the extmconi tires. they do the same thing the pss tire did.. but running the correct camber for track.. the video seems like it was a 3 or 4 lap trial for top time. all the reviews say the tire chunks after a few track events..

i hope the new tire is not the same.

beers

In theory, the RX8 treats its tyres better than the GTI in the track. RWD, lower centre of gravity, lower weight (if I recall correctly), definitely lower on the front axle... Also, the tyres are doing well performing only one action. Accelerating, braking or steering. So, in the RWD, the fronts are dedicated to steering, the rears to accelerate, and the combination of braking/steering in up to driver's skills! Let us know about what you decided and how it felt.
Happy motoring!

Last edited:

Snoball

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Swoope! My other car is an RX8 as well.... 2005 Shinka Manual... Not to hijack this thread as I did the same as you - tires used on my GTI go to my RX8.

What I was curious about, have you had your rear shock/struts bleed out? I hit 75k and then that was it, driver side first, then passenger shortly after. I want to take it to the track 2x to get the slips so I can get the mazda racing discount on suspension parts, it's not worth the risk at 30% off. Any recommendation for a place to get replacements for the rear since mine came with the factory bilsteins?

Swoope

Ready to race!
Hey Swoope! My other car is an RX8 as well.... 2005 Shinka Manual... Not to hijack this thread as I did the same as you - tires used on my GTI go to my RX8.

What I was curious about, have you had your rear shock/struts bleed out? I hit 75k and then that was it, driver side first, then passenger shortly after. I want to take it to the track 2x to get the slips so I can get the mazda racing discount on suspension parts, it's not worth the risk at 30% off. Any recommendation for a place to get replacements for the rear since mine came with the factory bilsteins?

shoot me an email at swoope gma blah blah. and let me know what you need.. got lots of stuff around..

beers

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I found the tread width numbers reported for various tires on TireRack to be interesting:

Michelin PSS 235/40-18 - 8.5"
Michelin PS4S 245/40-18 - 8.4"
Conti ExtremeContact Sport 245/40-18 - 8.4"
Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 245/40-18 - 8.2"

Kart17

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 VW GTI Sport
Interested in putting these on my stock Nogaro's once the warmer weather rolls around. Wondering if 235's will fit on the stock 18's?