GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 Tires

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
So many factors involved.

As in you are in a sportwagen with AWD, as opposed to Epic's GTI....? I just saw that after I made my comment...

Because if you both dont track the car, do varied hwy/city driving, do the normal rotation/alignment intervals (and dont drive in horrible roads affecting alignment dramatically), the biggest factor would be how hard you drive... as in cornering/braking/accelerating....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
As in you are in a sportwagen with AWD, as opposed to Epic's GTI....? I just saw that after I made my comment...

Because if you both dont track the car, do varied hwy/city driving, do the normal rotation/alignment intervals (and dont drive in horrible roads affecting alignment dramatically), the biggest factor would be how hard you drive... as in cornering/braking/accelerating....
Road surface. Temps. How often and how you rotate them. Alignment specs. And so on. Driver/driving style - for sure. I don't track the ECS, I have a dedicated set of 17x9s with 200s on them for track. I do drive the car hard frequently.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had a set of summer performance tires on any of my cars last past 24,000 miles.

Good to know there is so much positive feedback on the original ExtremeContact Sport. It makes the 02 version sound even more interesting. I'm still surprised though by how hard riding the Continental ExtremContact DWS 06 all-season tires are though, but that's because everyday this past month that I have been driving on them during this transition weather it has been making me miss my summer tires and winter tires, since both of them ride so much better. Also, my all-seasons feel like driving on glass at this point on any sub 45F degree day (dry or wet). The car just slides around every turn with just medium to low-medium throttle. I am going to be very happy if those Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires have comparable grip to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S and have even more comfort, and I will be even happier if they have even greater dry grip on top of it, LOL.

@EpicTech when you say that the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 are outperforming the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in the dry for you, are you referring to just straight line acceleration traction or cornering as well? Unless I missed it, I only noticed you going into detail about the straight line acceleration traction.
I only have 180 miles or so on this set, and have only "tested" grip straight line ( I did about 3/4 throttle pull in 3rd from right where the turbo spools). I am breaking in new clutch and this tire set was put on literally right before the clutch went out. I have however, accumulated about 70 of those miles on a 2 lane highway with a fair amount of twisties where the speed limit is 70mph. Signs are posted at each twisty to slow down to 50 mph. Just like the original ECS's, I was able to stay at 70 and navigate those turns with no complaint from the tires. I haven't really pushed them yet to find the limit, but so far it looks promising. The ride is comparable to the originals as well, but the noise seems less. Can't wait to do some more miles once I get this oil pan swapped out.