GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 Tires

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
So many factors involved.

As in you are in a sportwagen with AWD, as opposed to Epic's GTI....? I just saw that after I made my comment...

Because if you both dont track the car, do varied hwy/city driving, do the normal rotation/alignment intervals (and dont drive in horrible roads affecting alignment dramatically), the biggest factor would be how hard you drive... as in cornering/braking/accelerating....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
As in you are in a sportwagen with AWD, as opposed to Epic's GTI....? I just saw that after I made my comment...

Because if you both dont track the car, do varied hwy/city driving, do the normal rotation/alignment intervals (and dont drive in horrible roads affecting alignment dramatically), the biggest factor would be how hard you drive... as in cornering/braking/accelerating....
Road surface. Temps. How often and how you rotate them. Alignment specs. And so on. Driver/driving style - for sure. I don't track the ECS, I have a dedicated set of 17x9s with 200s on them for track. I do drive the car hard frequently.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever had a set of summer performance tires on any of my cars last past 24,000 miles.

Good to know there is so much positive feedback on the original ExtremeContact Sport. It makes the 02 version sound even more interesting. I'm still surprised though by how hard riding the Continental ExtremContact DWS 06 all-season tires are though, but that's because everyday this past month that I have been driving on them during this transition weather it has been making me miss my summer tires and winter tires, since both of them ride so much better. Also, my all-seasons feel like driving on glass at this point on any sub 45F degree day (dry or wet). The car just slides around every turn with just medium to low-medium throttle. I am going to be very happy if those Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires have comparable grip to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S and have even more comfort, and I will be even happier if they have even greater dry grip on top of it, LOL.

@EpicTech when you say that the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 are outperforming the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in the dry for you, are you referring to just straight line acceleration traction or cornering as well? Unless I missed it, I only noticed you going into detail about the straight line acceleration traction.
I only have 180 miles or so on this set, and have only "tested" grip straight line ( I did about 3/4 throttle pull in 3rd from right where the turbo spools). I am breaking in new clutch and this tire set was put on literally right before the clutch went out. I have however, accumulated about 70 of those miles on a 2 lane highway with a fair amount of twisties where the speed limit is 70mph. Signs are posted at each twisty to slow down to 50 mph. Just like the original ECS's, I was able to stay at 70 and navigate those turns with no complaint from the tires. I haven't really pushed them yet to find the limit, but so far it looks promising. The ride is comparable to the originals as well, but the noise seems less. Can't wait to do some more miles once I get this oil pan swapped out.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Mine are doing well although currently Im trying to get my coilovers raised up to accommodate the taller sidewalls. I am rubbing in the rear really bad with passengers in the rear. When its just me its fine. Once it's dialed in I will know more. Also planning it's first autocross track experience coming up next month, but I am on the fence as I would prefer to have a bit more suspension goodies to handle all those turns.

backcountry

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Just got a set of these a few weeks ago. Love them so far. VERY sticky. I hear tons of little pebbles and grit getting thrown up into the wheel wells which the Goodyear Eagle F1 that were on the car previously did not do. I'm sure that will calm down in time.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just replaced my set today..warm enough to go ahead and put them on; got them 2 years ago used with ~8K on them sitting at ~7-8/32". Put another 16K on them and they were at the bars. 235/40/18 on 18x8.5 et43 with 10/15mm spacers (front/rear, respectively). These are fantastic street tires. They run small...the 245/40 size has the same section/tread width as my 235/40 Michelin PS4 all seasons...they are taller however by a few tenths so just stuck with the 235/40s...this thing already has long gear...I need all the help I can get!
20240320_144018.jpg
20240320_130126.jpg

Last edited:

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I just put on 235/35/19 Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires today. I only have about five miles on them so far, and that was driving slow with a set of wheels and tires in the trunk. So far, they seem softer riding, like the reviews say. I won't really know how they feel for about another week or so. I will give feedback after I get a chance to really drive on them.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
It's been a week since I put these Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires on. I haven't done too much driving on them, and only a tiny bit in the way of any spirited driving. What I can say so far is these tires are insanely soft riding. Driving over bumps in race mode it feels like I am in standard mode, and standard mode feels like I am riding in a normal car with standard profile tires. I thought my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires were comfortable driving, but these Continentals feel like I am driving on luxury comfort tires when going over bumps. It's kind of a strange feeling having low profile performance tires that feel like standard profile comfort tires over bumps, especially being used to stiff or firm riding tires for years. I should point out that it does not feel like the sidewalls are squishy when you turn the wheel, in case anyone is concerned of a weak sidewall.

I do notice that the on-center feel complaint that I have seen raised in reviews. This is quite evident on the highway. It has a squishy feel, almost like the center of the tire is taller than the rest of the tire and it's just squishing and blobbing about. There is a little bit of on-center play on the highway. Tiny steering wheel movements don't seem to get an immediate decisive directional response. However, this doesn't not seem to be an issue when changing lanes or pushing in the curves or taking turns. The on-center squishiness is the only complaint I have of this tire.

Everything else about this tire so far is great. I did not find my Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires to be noisy at all, but it is clear that these Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires are definitely quieter. The very little quick turns and curves I have gone through have shown these tires to be very sticky. Again, I haven't had a chance to do much or really push them, but so far these are doing an outstanding job of gripping the road.

Other things to point out. The Continentals are about $200/set cheaper than the Michelins. The Michelins tread width is wider by 0.4" than the Continentals. The Michelins sat square on my wheels, which I really liked. It looked great, and it gave a large lip protector for the wheel. The Continental still has an adequate lip protector, and only a slight inward curve to the sidewall. The Continental does look good on the wheel, but the Michelin did look better and offered more wheel protection. The new tire tread depth is slightly greater for the Continental, which has 10/32" vs 9.5/32" for the Michelin. Overall diameter is rated at the same 25.5" for both tires. Both tires reportedly weigh 22 lbs each. I am hoping to get more miles out of these Continentals than I did the Michelins. I only got 19,500 miles out of the Michelins before hitting the tread wear indicator bars. This was all extremely spirited local road and highway driving (no track miles), but this is how I have always driven with all of my cars. Every other performance car I have gotten 24,000 miles out of the tires before hitting the tread wear indicator bars. So far, both the Michelins and Continentals are very neck and neck in terms of what they have to offer. I will probably know within the month (assuming the weather ever warms up) as to which one I like more, but at the moment it is like heads and tails of the same coin. You can't go wrong with either one, and there only seems to be very slight differences between them. As of this very moment, I do feel good about my purchase of the Continentals, and I think they were the right tire to go with. But there are ever so slight trade-offs between the two tires. I prefer the on-center feel and squared-off design of the Michelin, but the Continental does ride like a quiet comfort tire that didn't give anything up in performance department. This will be very interesting to see how this goes in the upcoming summer.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Any update on how the tires are performing?

Sorry I never got back, I have driven so little since I got them, less than 700 mi.... I was hoping to drive more and chime in later on but during the first couple of hundred miles on the new set, some idiot in a motorcycle lane splitting hit me with his foot peg while I was stopped on a red light, scratched my rear bumper a bit but gashed my passenger rear tire, so I had to swap it :mad: ... Ended up fixing the bumper and few other things, so its been at the shop....

Its crazy how soft riding they are, I left a similar comment a few weeks ago

I just made the move from Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus Tires to the new Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 and I am shocked how much softer the Contis ride...

The DCC "Race" setting now rides like "Comfort" used to.... I can actually use "Race" now...

Unfortunately I am comparing them to my old P Zeros AS, so its not a fair comparison.. those rode like bricks and had way less grip.... The fact they are so much cheaper than the PS4S and its hard to tell which are better already seals the deal for me as the best street tires you can get at the moment for this platform.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
That sucks about the accident. I almost ran over some dip a couple of weeks ago who was trying to split lanes on his low cc sport bike thinking he was faster than everyone, and he was not prepared for how quick a Golf R is. He almost turned right into me not realizing I was passing him.

I am surprised how extreme of a comfort difference the various tires I have had on this car have been. The only other time I saw this much of a comfort difference was when I replaced grand touring V-Rated tires for cheap S-Rated tires on a car when I listed it for sale, but that S-Rated tire also had an extremely squishy sidewall and a huge drop in performance.

I really disliked how my car rode on Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 performance all-season tires. Ever bump felt like I was riding on the metal wheel without a tire. They also greatly hindered the car's driving performance, but they were uncomfortable tires. I was so happy when I put on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. It made a word of difference in making the car comfortable to drive and obviously far more sporty. If I were to go on a test drive with those Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires and then test drive it with these Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires, I would have sworn the cars had different suspensions. The comfort difference between those super harsh all seasons and these super soft summers is just way too much to think it was just tire alone making all of that difference.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
That sucks about the accident. I almost ran over some dip a couple of weeks ago who was trying to split lanes on his low cc sport bike thinking he was faster than everyone, and he was not prepared for how quick a Golf R is. He almost turned right into me not realizing I was passing him.

My idiot was on a large Harley Davidson, and it was in the middle of the week, Miami rush hour, so a total maniac... I ride myself, but during the weekends and early in the morning... and not just an idiot and a maniac, but a douchebag too, he gave me bad insurance info and eventually ghosted me.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Hopefully you have his plate number and report it to the police. I'm pretty sure it is a crime what he did, and since you are in Florida, you actually prosecute criminals there.

MADPWR

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Now that I have had more of a chance to really drive on these tires, I am starting to think they might be stickier than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. I haven't gotten them to break traction yet. They just stick and go. The rubber seems softer to the feel and seems to kick up even more debris than the Michelins did. These Continentals seem to have better rain traction over the Michelins too. Even when the Michelins were new, any tiny amount of standing water would cause the car to pull, and I am not running into that issue with these Continentals. It is difficult to judge on the highway how fast I can go in the rain with these Continentals since it has the on center feel issue. It makes it so that I can't tell if it is beginning to hydroplane or if it is just the tire's on center feel.

I am also convinced that Continental has more than just engineers working for them. I think they may have witches and warlocks too, as I am convinced black magic was added to these tires. It's the only plausible explanation as to how such a low profile tire rides like a comfort tire and has extreme performance. If comfort is the primary or one of your top tire criteria, then this is for sure the tire to get. I don't know how it is physically possible to get a more comfortable tire in the OEM 235/35/19 size. I actually prefer a sporty/firm ride (not to be confused with a I feel like it's just a metal wheel touching the road), so for me the Michelin had the perfect feel for me. These Continentals make me forget I am in race mode with how soft they ride, and I kind of miss that sportier riding feel. However, that is just purely a personal thing. I did notice nothing rattles when I hit bumps on these Continentals. On some occasions I used to get a tiny rattle here and there hitting bumps with the Michelins. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 definitely made the car rattle on every bump though. I so disliked the ride of those tires. If given the choice all over again on tires, I would still choose these Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 tires again. The dry traction, wet traction, road noise, and comfort have all been the best that I have come across. I still only have one complaint, and that is the highway on center feel of the tire, everything else is exceptional. The fact that these are priced good too, is just extra icing on the cake.

For the last few years I have been rotating through the various sets of 235/35/19 OEM wheels and tires that I have. I have driven on OEM Continental ContiSportContact 5P, Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 (W-Speed rated version). I was bouncing between summers, all-seasons, and winters throughout the year, hence is the fun of Chicago-land weather. The tire shop has warned me that my Sottozero 3 tires are low on tread, so I don't know if they will put them on next winter. I haven't gauged them, but they don't look that low to me. Granted, you do need more tread depth for snow traction. I'm also tired of starting each calendar year on winters, going to all seasons, going to summers, going to all seasons, and then going to winters. It's a lot of wheel swapping. I've mostly been going through the hassle since I was trying to use up the all seasons and save as much tread as possible on the winters. We have been getting some silly weather the last few years where it will be 70's one week and a snow blizzard the following week. Also, if these winter tires are as worn as the tire store says they are, that means they lasted only about 8,000-9,000 miles. That's a pretty hefty cost for such few miles, and that's with being diligent about only having them on in cold weather. My current plan is to go Vredstein Quatrac Pro+ to replace the either the all seasons or winters, assuming the winters don't have enough tread left. The all seasons are down to just being dry weather safe at this point, as they have lost most of their wet traction. The Vredstein Quatrac Pro+ is a grand touring all-season with a severe snow service rating. This way, at least for the weather I deal with, they should work for winter and the crazy weather months. They will also be a lot cheaper to drive on and have a 50,000 mile warranty, unlike the winter tires. Speaking of warranties, I think my Continental all-seasons have a 50,000 mile warranty. At best they maybe have 20,000 miles on them, and they are already almost at the treadwear indicator bars. They probably wore out so fast because they broke traction a lot. I could easily over drive the fronts and slide out the rear with them on. At any rate, the current plan is Continental ExtremeContact Sport 02 for summer and Vredstein Quatrac Pro+ for winter and everything else.

Last edited: