GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Conti DWS06 Extreme Contact alternatives

Wyclef

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey, I have a 2018 Golf Sportwagen and in the Spring Summer run Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Love the look, overall been fine but I have a gravel driveway and maybe they aren’t aging that great. Chunks out of the sidewall and maybe a bit more rapid treadwear at 20k than I would have liked. Interested in something more durable but still a Spring Summer tire. I run the Viking Contact 7s in Fall Winter and have been really happy with them.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Not knowing your tire size or budget, I'd say Michelin PSAS 4. The DWS06 is super soft, really terrible summer tire. I only use them to keep the good tires away from freezing temps. If you're set on continental, consider moving up to the ECS 02 for a summer tire, I've only heard good things.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Yeah if you are looking for a "summer" tire that is also longer lasting, I'd also recommend the Pilot Sport All Season as mentioned above.
I ran the previous version, the AS3, and had them on for a little over 40,000. Got a puncture in one, and ended up replacing all four just because.
They were towards the end of their life, but definitely had a little left.
Although not a dedicated summer tire, I was still happy with their overall performance on my totally stock GTI.
I ended up switching to a PS4 and honestly don't notice much difference. But again, totally stock commuter GTI with occasional "spirited" driving.

Wyclef

Passed Driver's Ed
Cool. I think I’ll try to ride out the rest of the season on these DWS06s and then maybe see where I’m at end of winter after I’ve had a bit to mull it over. I teally don’t like how much wear these tires have gotten, maybe if you live in some asphalt paved burbs or whatever it’s fine but I guess I’m driving a bit more rugged places than I thought I’d be.

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Hey, I have a 2018 Golf Sportwagen and in the Spring Summer run Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Love the look, overall been fine but I have a gravel driveway and maybe they aren’t aging that great. Chunks out of the sidewall and maybe a bit more rapid treadwear at 20k than I would have liked. Interested in something more durable but still a Spring Summer tire. I run the Viking Contact 7s in Fall Winter and have been really happy with them.
I have had 2 sets of these and I can honestly say I don’t even like them. They grab fine but I just feel like they’re not a comfortable tire and they wear poorly.

Wyclef

Passed Driver's Ed
After thinking about this more I’m thinking I should probably stick with a more all season tire rather than summer focused, and then just have my winters available. Given the nature of where I live and drive maybe having more summer focused tires with crappy treadwear was a mistake. I like the look of the ECS 02 but probably the Pilot Sport AS4 makes more sense. Any other all season tires people like? Also, anyone ever have any luck with these tire warranties? Conti says 50k treadwear and I’m under 30k but you know that don’t mesn sheeiiit to them plus do I really want to replace these tires made of gum drops?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I found this article about the Yokohama Advan AS anyone try these tires out? In another page thw guy is comparing them to the PS As4s.

https://motorillustrated.com/yokohama-advan-sport-a-s-tire-review-the-advan-does-it-all/100617/
I've liked quite a few yoko tires. They are some of the most comfy, but age is not their friend. I haven't tried those specific ones personally, but an important thing to note is yoko doesn't do a ton of lip for rim protection, so maybe stay away from aggressive stretchy fitments if you like uncurbed rims. A 245 on an 8" rim is a fine fitment in a yoko while a 235 on an 8.5 looks like 90s stretch culture and leaves the rim hanging.

I have only ever found Michelin to "age well" where the tire you ride on 5k miles in sounds and feels like new rubber.

Wyclef

Passed Driver's Ed
Also, it looks like Continental has updated the ExtremeContact DWS06 with a plus version.

Continental has added the following to the ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tire:
  • Compound updates and the newest generation SPORTPLUS+™ Technology
  • Hybrid Cap ply

Does anyone know if this means that the gumdrop treadwear problems may be improved with the plus version?

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
I have the A/S 4 Pilot Sports ..all season michelins. The stock hankooks I got the GTI with were dangerous at 17K.

I gotta say after owning (on other cars) BFG, General, Hankook, ...Pirelli etc... Im finding the Pilots wear and handle great. I would gladly pay their usually higher price without hesitation.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Also, it looks like Continental has updated the ExtremeContact DWS06 with a plus version.

Continental has added the following to the ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus tire:
  • Compound updates and the newest generation SPORTPLUS+™ Technology
  • Hybrid Cap ply

Does anyone know if this means that the gumdrop treadwear problems may be improved with the plus version?
no, they're still shitty. that's what I have on my winter set, only thing they're good for is parking on.

Wyclef

Passed Driver's Ed
OK, I’ll probably sleep on it then decide between the Michelins and the Yokos tomorrow I guess. Will probably just get the Michelins and sleep easy, worth the extra $100 or whatever.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
OK, I’ll probably sleep on it then decide between the Michelins and the Yokos tomorrow I guess. Will probably just get the Michelins and sleep easy, worth the extra $100 or whatever.
I think costco has a sale on Michelins right now.

ack_attack

Passed Driver's Ed
Based on my experience with several sets of DWS06s and one set of DWS06+ on my GTI, the + model has has a slightly stiffer sidewall, and slightly stickier tread compound. The squirminess of the original is greatly reduced (I don’t notice it at all on the + model).

I suspect this was done to compete more favorably with the A/S4. I may get the A/S4s when i need tires next time, for comparison.

The DWS06+ still has reasonable snow capability, up to about 3-4 inches of snow, and are still quite amazing in the rain.

YMMV

Last edited: