GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Constant, terrible window condensation

stevew09

Ready to race!
I've had this issue since new (nearly 3 years ago now). It's in the garage for a second time, and they have found no issues again :rolleyes:

I think for me it's an issue with heating system containing moisture as last Saturday when I got into the car and started it, the drivers side window fogged up almost straight away and front windscreen started to fog up from the bottom. The front dash side vent was pointing towards the driver side window and so must of been blowing out damp air.

I've had really bad issues with my car, numerous times when I get into the car in the morning I've had to de-ice the whole of the front windscreen. The whole of the front windscreen often has bad condensation along with the side and rear window.

Getting fed up with this now, spend 10 minutes de-fogging it before i leave home, get to the shops, then come out 20 minutes later and it's all fogged up again - it's really annoying :(

NathanDetroit

Ready to race!
This may sound a little odd, but it works well for me.

1. Take an old pair of socks (no holes)
2. Fill one of the socks about 3/4 full with silica-based cat litter (the crystal kind)
3. Insert the litter-filled sock (open end first) into the other sock and tie off the end
4. Leave it under one of front seats

It will absorb most, if not all, of the excess moisture in the car. In a more humid environment you may have to replace the litter every few months.

RDPOE

Try this too, DON'T leave your HVAC set to any of windshield defog settings when parking your car. Mine only fogs when I forget to turn the settings off

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
This may sound a little odd, but it works well for me.

1. Take an old pair of socks (no holes)
2. Fill one of the socks about 3/4 full with silica-based cat litter (the crystal kind)
3. Insert the litter-filled sock (open end first) into the other sock and tie off the end
4. Leave it under one of front seats

It will absorb most, if not all, of the excess moisture in the car. In a more humid environment you may have to replace the litter every few months.

This is awesome. I'm gonna try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redshift99

When the car is operating with someone inside, you normally keep the temperature at a comfortable setting. When you park the car and turn off the HVAC, the inside air will normally cool, at least as long as it's cooler outside the car. As the air cools the relative humidity of the air will rise until the air reaches the condensation temperature (or dew point), at which point the water vapor in the air will condense on surfaces such as the inside of the windows (and maybe other surfaces as well). The best way to avoid this is to replace the air inside the car with cooler, less humid outside air as much as possible when the car is stopped. If possible, roll down the windows for a few moments before you park and run the blower. Make sure the recirculation control is off so that you bring in outside air (keep the recirculation off when operating as well so as to replace humid air with less humid outside air). Of course, if the outside humidity is high and you are running the AC, this will probably not work. In general, you will have this problem any time the inside air falls below the dew point, just as you do at night when the temperature drops outside and dew forms. Keep in mind that when you are inside the car (and breathing) you are exhaling water vapor and, hence, raising the humidity in the car.

This lesson brought to you by science ;>)