GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Confused about PP Rear Brakes

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
I replaced the front pads on my 2017 SE (PP brakes) without a problem, but the rear pads I purchased are not correct. Tire Rack and other sites list the proper rear pad for the PP brakes as the same one the Golf R uses, but I know they are different. Here is the question. Do the PP cars use the same rear pads as the standard GTI rear brakes? Thanks.

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
Golf R and PP Gti are the same front and rear

Non PP Gti are completely different

Apparently not in my case. I have a 310mm vented rear rotor, however I do not have electric parking brake like the Golf R. The pads on the rear of my car look exactly like the standard GTI (non PP) brake pad. The replacement pads that I bought are for the Golf R and they are totally different in size and shape.

Also, the front replacement pads had a sensor built into them, but my old pads had no sensor. What is going on?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Apparently not in my case. I have a 310mm vented rear rotor, however I do not have electric parking brake like the Golf R. The pads on the rear of my car look exactly like the standard GTI (non PP) brake pad. The replacement pads that I bought are for the Golf R and they are totally different in size and shape.

Also, the front replacement pads had a sensor built into them, but my old pads had no sensor. What is going on?

They probably sent the wrong pads, you’ll need to varify PNs. The parking brake being manual vs electronic makes no difference in what pads as the rest of the caliper is the same.

2015s had pad sensors, 2016-2019 do not. So some pads include them, if your car doesn’t you can just cut the wires off

q2quest

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2012 Golf 2.5 manual
They probably sent the wrong pads, you’ll need to varify PNs. The parking brake being manual vs electronic makes no difference in what pads as the rest of the caliper is the same.

2015s had pad sensors, 2016-2019 do not. So some pads include them, if your car doesn’t you can just cut the wires off

Thanks for that information, Jake. After much internet searching and obtaining the part number from the OEM pad, it appears that the Performance Package for the rear, at least on my car, uses the same pad as the Mk V R32 and a bunch of other models, but not the Mk VII Golf R. ECS Tuning does not list the Mk VII Golf R pad for the rear of the PP GTI, but several other sites, including Tire Rack list the same rear pad for GTI and Golf R. Super frustrating, but maybe this thread helps someone else.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks for that information, Jake. After much internet searching and obtaining the part number from the OEM pad, it appears that the Performance Package for the rear, at least on my car, uses the same pad as the Mk V R32 and a bunch of other models, but not the Mk VII Golf R. ECS Tuning does not list the Mk VII Golf R pad for the rear of the PP GTI, but several other sites, including Tire Rack list the same rear pad for GTI and Golf R. Super frustrating, but maybe this thread helps someone else.

Can you post pictures of your pads vs the new ones in question?

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
OP, did you purchase your car new or used? It seems odd that VW would use some different rear caliper on your Sport/PP car (mid life-cycle too nonetheless). If it was used when you bought it, maybe the previous owner swapped the brakes for some reason? super weird stuff here

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Golf R rear pads are not the same as PP rear. They have different tabs. You need to make sure you order fitment for GTI w/PP for the rears. The front pads are 100% compatible though.

black forest ind

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
All of them
Golf R and PP Gti are the same front and rear

Non PP Gti are completely different

That is not correct. The rear calipers are different and both use different pads.

Golf R rear pad - 5Q0-698-451-P
GTI PP rear pad - 1K0-698-451-K

Navi

Autocross Champion
yes they are definitely different. I know because I made the same mistake. Purchased rear Golf R pads thinking they would fit a rear PP GTI caliper. They do not. Pad shape and tabs are different. Physically impossible to get them to fit. Even though rotor size is the same in the rear, calipers are different and brake pads are different.

Swoope

Ready to race!
i went through the same issue with tirerack about 8 months ago. i let them know the part# for the PP rear brakes was wrong. i even gave them the correct#, disappointing they did not correct the issue.

beers