GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Compartment in lift gate

Johnny P

Hi I am new to VW. Does anyone know if the compartment located in the middle of the liftgate is designed for something in particular? Possibly tools?

witteke

In Europe they put a caution triangle in there. Not required in US. You can buy them at ECS and a few other places.

Johnny P

It's pretty easy to open. IIRC its just a way to open the hatch from the inside, but I could be wrong

A triangle makes sense. It looks like it was designed for something specific. I am not able to post a picture but I wonder if most R owners know this space is even there.

HughJorgan

Has anyone found a constructive use for this space other than the UK traffic tiangle? I was thinking maybe a small fire extinguisher or maybe an asp baton for the trunk monkey? ;)

Stevie1

Ready to race!
Has anyone found a constructive use for this space other than the UK traffic tiangle? I was thinking maybe a small fire extinguisher or maybe an asp baton for the trunk monkey? ;)

They don't put them in for the UK. On the continent you are required by law to have one along with the dreaded hi-viz.

In the UK you need to have a spare bulb kit (by Law) nobody does.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
In the UK you need to have a spare bulb kit (by Law) nobody does.

It's not just the UK. Other countries on the mainland require a spare bulb kit as well (ridiculous that the GTI manual doesn't provide any information about the bulb types the MK7 uses). Some countries also require first aid kit, small fire extinguisher and in some cases an alcohol tester (France).

Getting back to the OPs question, here is how mine looks with the triangle.

Last edited: