GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Common issues: creaking front suspension.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Ok, I thought I'd start a thread up that focusses on this particular common problem with the Mk7.

So common in fact that VW have acknowledged that this noise can be generated on any and all Mk7 golf, and that it is in fact "normal".

I'd like you guys to be the judge of that, so here's a crappy recording to get the thread started.

http://images.mdr.me.uk/images/creak-edit.mp3

This noise occurs most frequently when you take the car over a long, slow speed ramp at 15-20 mph with your foot very gently brushing the brake pedal (i.e. putting a bit of fore/aft load on the wishbone), but it can happen on any occasion when the front suspension has to flex away from its default centre position and back, such as: on/off the drive; going round a corner and experiencing body roll; braking in reverse on the level; going slowly across very uneven ground; accelerating over uneven surfaces.. the dealer has confirmed that it happens even when the ARB is not connected so it's not the ARB mounts, and the struts and top mounts were replaced, but this did not alter the sound at all.

My dealer initially offered the "solution" to be greasing the wishbone bush. Which they did, twice, and it did indeed quieten down the problem for about six months. But I'm not sure I consider it to be acceptable to require a re-grease of the wishbone bushes every six months in a modern car, and I've *never* experienced a noise like this in any other car in the same circumstances (ok, there was that truck with leaf springs..) so I really don't think it's acceptable.

So, anyone else experienced this noise and asked their dealer about it?

I'd be particularly interested to understand why ours is particularly bad compared to other cars. Not that it helps, as VW UK are unwilling to do anything at all to fix it.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
in on this. squeaky front suspension is notable at low speeds, especially turning and in and out of my driveway.

Additionally my rear suspension creaks really loud going over certain bumps/road 'waves' at any speed.

Been considering at least providing the temp fix by spraying lithium grease around my bushings - which areas do you think are going to be the most beneficial? Control arm contact points? Do I need to hit the steering rack? Sway bar endlinks?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I've not had the rear suspension creak, but we did have the "loose lumber" clunking from the shock absorbers. That's currently "fixed", but we're on our third set and I don't hold out much hope of it being gone forever.

I don't know exactly where the grease needs to be inserted, they wouldn't show me the tech bulletin that refers to it, but I am certain it's the control arms aka wishbone bushes. (And even my dealer took two goes before it actually helped, so the bulletin probably won't help much...)

MarcA

Ready to race!
I've had the front done and it's nearly 12 months ago now and 15k miles.. still OK tough wood. Rear shocks replaced with bilstein after 3 sets of sachs oem. I'm sure these screwed up my tires too..

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
"done" in the sense of greased?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Mine has the same problem

Yes exactly the same creaking and also a loose noise over the very rough speed humps down here in Portugal where I am using the car. It doesn't happen enough to bother me but given my experience with the rear shock absorbers I just cant be bothered to create another issue with VW unless it became worse. The car has completed 15k in 2.5 years and really should not be making this kind of noise but no doubt VW will tell me its just another "characteristic of the model" which is the stock response from VW.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I just cant be bothered to create another issue with VW unless it became worse. The car has completed 15k in 2.5 years and really should not be making this kind of noise but no doubt VW will tell me its just another "characteristic of the model" which is the stock response from VW.

Yeah, that's what I'm being told. "Normal."

Ours is getting worse, year on year. It seems to ease up in the summer, but comes back on hard in Winter.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Yes the grease method. Must be 10 to 15k done since it was done and it's still quiet. Like a new car now with the shocks done. Took a year to get it sorted out..
Wonder what your garage did different from mine then .... which dealer was it?

erichhart

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep I have this problem. I also have noticed a steering bump I guess you can say on the dead pedal or the floor board. if turning the wheel any direction usually after a 1/2 turn.

I guess a knock. you can hear it too.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I've not noticed that, but in other cars have found that this is often the steering universal joint bumping into the pedal when the pedal is pressed.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

nunex

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, I thought I'd start a thread up that focusses on this particular common problem with the Mk7.

So common in fact that VW have acknowledged that this noise can be generated on any and all Mk7 golf, and that it is in fact "normal".

I'd like you guys to be the judge of that, so here's a crappy recording to get the thread started.

http://images.mdr.me.uk/images/creak-edit.mp3

This noise occurs most frequently when you take the car over a long, slow speed ramp at 15-20 mph with your foot very gently brushing the brake pedal (i.e. putting a bit of fore/aft load on the wishbone), but it can happen on any occasion when the front suspension has to flex away from its default centre position and back, such as: on/off the drive; going round a corner and experiencing body roll; braking in reverse on the level; going slowly across very uneven ground; accelerating over uneven surfaces.. the dealer has confirmed that it happens even when the ARB is not connected so it's not the ARB mounts, and the struts and top mounts were replaced, but this did not alter the sound at all.

My dealer initially offered the "solution" to be greasing the wishbone bush. Which they did, twice, and it did indeed quieten down the problem for about six months. But I'm not sure I consider it to be acceptable to require a re-grease of the wishbone bushes every six months in a modern car, and I've *never* experienced a noise like this in any other car in the same circumstances (ok, there was that truck with leaf springs..) so I really don't think it's acceptable.

So, anyone else experienced this noise and asked their dealer about it?

I'd be particularly interested to understand why ours is particularly bad compared to other cars. Not that it helps, as VW UK are unwilling to do anything at all to fix it.
Got same problem. Both the front creaking and the rear timber logs rolling.
On the rear, the "temporary" fix is another set of shocks. I say temporary because I'm already on the 3rd set of OEM (paid by vw), which btw is starting to make noise.
Front. First complaints resulted in "you need to replace lower control arms and front sway bar links", but not covered by warranty because it is natural wearing". Then I suggested the TPI for greasing bushings with lithium grease. Also, they claimed not covered by warranty. So I ended up solving it myself spraying silicone on the outside of all lower control arm bushings. 3000km and 1,5month down the road it is still silent as it should be. And I'm sharing the same rough roads as fuelboss.

Enviado do meu E5823 através de Tapatalk