GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coming into this kind of late... SE vs S

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
SE with experience package and never look back. I just traded in my '16 S model for a '19 SE. If you want to have a chat about it all, shoot me a PM.

Also, an easy way to tell if the SE has the package is by looking at the speaker grills on the front A-Pillar. They will be the silver Fender Audio tweeker speakers.

oh yeah, that's the other big tell...actually the tell I had for the car that I eventually bought, lol. the only indicator was that one photo in the listing with the visible Fender tag on the A pillar. ....well, they actually sold that one, but then accepted my offer and brought an identical car over from an area lot (not even the same dealership family, which is kinda weird to me. but whatever)

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
Nice! ill keep that in mind. Dealers keep telling me the Autobahn is the only model that has DCC. Sigh. I have a friend at VW thats going to help me find a car since the dealers dont seem to know whats going on *surprise*.

don't buy from such dealers. That doesn't speak incompetence to me, but dishonesty. They are outright lying to you about their product. Don't even waste your time.

zinfamous

Go Kart Newbie
And yeah, there is One Rabbit within 100 miles of me,

which means they are pretty rare everywhere, considering how many NEW 2019 GTIs are available in that range (300+, lol)

and it's black...and 300 miles? I dare not call that New, but they listed it that way.

Online prices are really close to what I was seeing in April 2019 for new cars (thought with vastly more inventory), so doesn't tell me that deals are any better than they were a year ago, for my region anyway.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
And yeah, there is One Rabbit within 100 miles of me,

which means they are pretty rare everywhere, considering how many NEW 2019 GTIs are available in that range (300+, lol)

and it's black...and 300 miles? I dare not call that New, but they listed it that way.

Online prices are really close to what I was seeing in April 2019 for new cars (thought with vastly more inventory), so doesn't tell me that deals are any better than they were a year ago, for my region anyway.

This is one last new Rabbit in the country.

Yes it has 300mi, but probably a long range dealer trade, or a test drive mule.

If the car hasn’t been sold/titled then it’s still new. When you buy it your warranty will extend for 6yrs/72000mi from the reading on the odometer on the day the new car is sold.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
300 miles is not that abnormal for a car that has been in stock for a while. There is, or at least was a white one at an Atlanta area dealer. They were not discounting that one.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I bought a Rabbit, but between S and SE, you have to decide what it is you want out of the car.

I bought an 18 GTI and gave it to my son when they brought the Rabbit out. I thought it was the perfect spec. I hate sunroofs, but after a year of autocrossing the 18, I wanted VAQ and the bigger brakes. Not having keyless didn't bother me at all, but the S headlights are terrible.

If I were in your shoes, I'd get the S and upgrade the headlights.

If you value a better daily driver and the little extras, get an SE with experience package.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
If I were in your shoes, I'd get the S and upgrade the headlights.
Thats what I think I'll do. Im getting good deals on the S and SE w/ DCC but I dont see myself switching the suspension stiffness at all. The S wont be as stiff as my Fiesta ST no way. I used to use the sport mode on my Civic SI all the time and I could never really feel the suspension get tighter but I could feel the steering tighten up.

I was reading about Ed's lights for the S are pretty good? I run DEPO Euro projectors currently and ran TYC Euro projectors on my last Fiesta ST. Other than nitpicky things that were addressed the halogen projectors themselves are phenomenal over the stock reflectors.

Im tired and rambling.

7thVW

Passed Driver's Ed
"
Thats what I think I'll do. Im getting good deals on the S and SE w/ DCC but I dont see myself switching the suspension stiffness at all. The S wont be as stiff as my Fiesta ST no way. I used to use the sport mode on my Civic SI all the time and I could never really feel the suspension get tighter but I could feel the steering tighten up.

I was reading about Ed's lights for the S are pretty good? I run DEPO Euro projectors currently and ran TYC Euro projectors on my last Fiesta ST. Other than nitpicky things that were addressed the halogen projectors themselves are phenomenal over the stock reflectors.

Im tired and rambling."

I think you made your decision. You cant go wrong either way. Bang for the buck S is still amazing. If "normal" mode is too stiff, go back to the Festiva. Sport mode is quick, Porsche quick. Minus the front wheel drive.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I think you made your decision. You cant go wrong either way. Bang for the buck S is still amazing. If "normal" mode is too stiff, go back to the Festiva. Sport mode is quick, Porsche quick. Minus the front wheel drive.

I might be wrong on this but all the cars have drive modes that let you change steering and other things but only DCC let's you change the suspension stiffness.?

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
No aftermarket headlight will ever compare to OEM. I used to use Eds headlights when I had my 2016. Never loved them.

They have a cheap aftermarket look to them. The beam also bounces up and down a lot even on stock suspension. This is attributed because they do not come with leveling motors (adaptive lighting that OEM uses), and they also use what’s called an E-Code (European) beam pattern. This makes the cutoff of the projector very sharp which makes it very noticeable when it’s bouncing everywhere. I ended up regretting that purchase and going back to stock headlights.

I think a lot of S owners on here over exaggerate just how good these headlights are out of remorse for not getting the OEM lighting package. I once fell victim to this claim.

If you’re truly able to afford an SE and are getting great offers, trust me it’s worth for the headlights alone. They’re incredible. But there’s many other upgrades that the SE gets that just makes the car feel more premium as a whole.

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
No aftermarket headlight will ever compare to OEM. I used to use Eds headlights when I had my 2016. Never loved them.

They have a cheap aftermarket look to them. The beam also bounces up and down a lot even on stock suspension. This is attributed because they do not come with leveling motors (adaptive lighting that OEM uses), and they also use what’s called an E-Code (European) beam pattern. This makes the cutoff of the projector very sharp which makes it very noticeable when it’s bouncing everywhere. I ended up regretting that purchase and going back to stock headlights.

I think a lot of S owners on here over exaggerate just how good these headlights are out of remorse for not getting the OEM lighting package. I once fell victim to this claim.

If you’re truly able to afford an SE and are getting great offers, trust me it’s worth for the headlights alone. They’re incredible. But there’s many other upgrades that the SE gets that just makes the car feel more premium as a whole.

Grumble, Garble, Garble . LOL. Thats my "you threw a wrench in my plans face". I actually found a rabbit for sale not that far away this morning and saw a used 2019 and 2018 SE that I emailed offers on.

Some of these dealers, man.... they want solid gold bars for their cars. One has a used 2019 SE for more than their 2020 SE! I brought it up to them and they basically told me off. Man thats cool, I need to set a reminder to see how long they sit on that thing.

But I appreciate all the comments in my post, I really do. My budget would allow for a new 2019 SE but thats like almost maxing it out. There wont be room for a little extra every month to pay it off quicker. I dont feel comfortable with that so if I get get a slightly used 2018 or 2019 that will be the way I will go. I can get those for close to a new S.

So the 2018 vs 2019 are the same other than the DSG is 6speed vs 7speed right? Did the 2018s come with DCC as an option? Are there any other differences in the SE models from both years?

SuperDuper

Go Kart Newbie
Grumble, Garble, Garble . LOL. Thats my "you threw a wrench in my plans face". I actually found a rabbit for sale not that far away this morning and saw a used 2019 and 2018 SE that I emailed offers on.

Some of these dealers, man.... they want solid gold bars for their cars. One has a used 2019 SE for more than their 2020 SE! I brought it up to them and they basically told me off. Man thats cool, I need to set a reminder to see how long they sit on that thing.

But I appreciate all the comments in my post, I really do. My budget would allow for a new 2019 SE but thats like almost maxing it out. There wont be room for a little extra every month to pay it off quicker. I dont feel comfortable with that so if I get get a slightly used 2018 or 2019 that will be the way I will go. I can get those for close to a new S.

So the 2018 vs 2019 are the same other than the DSG is 6speed vs 7speed right? Did the 2018s come with DCC as an option? Are there any other differences in the SE models from both years?

Are you willing to travel at all? I could refer you to the dealer I got my SE W/Experience package with a few weeks ago. $27,043 before TTL. They might be able to dealer trade for you too. Shoot me a pm if interested.

DSG is an option on all models.

If I were you, I’d look at CPO options as well. There was a CPO Autobahn model near me with less than 10,000 miles listed for $24,900 not too long ago.

I believe the 2019 SE is pretty much the same as 2018 besides the transmission and the experience package. There was also a slight 8 horsepower bump.

You can find all the changes for 2019 models here :

https://media.vw.com/press-kits/2019-golf-gti-press-kit

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
Are you willing to travel at all? I could refer you to the dealer I got my SE W/Experience package with a few weeks ago. $27,043 before TTL. They might be able to dealer trade for you too. Shoot me a pm if interested.

DSG is an option on all models.

If I were you, I’d look at CPO options as well. There was a CPO Autobahn model near me with less than 10,000 miles listed for $24,900 not too long ago.

I believe the 2019 SE is pretty much the same as 2018 besides the transmission and the experience package. There was also a slight 8 horsepower bump.

You can find all the changes for 2019 models here :

https://media.vw.com/press-kits/2019-golf-gti-press-kit
Hmmm so how do you know if the 2018 SE has the mechanical diff and larger brakes? From pictures on autotrader/cars.com that is.

That'd still be out of my comfort zone as the max I want to spend is 24-25k. But thats the same price I was getting from a dealer about an hour away from me on a SE w/ exp pkg.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hmmm so how do you know if the 2018 SE has the mechanical diff and larger brakes? From pictures on autotrader/cars.com that is.

That'd still be out of my comfort zone as the max I want to spend is 24-25k. But thats the same price I was getting from a dealer about an hour away from me on a SE w/ exp pkg.
Powerpack is standard on 2018's, pretty sure.