GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Colour?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Google "Barry boy cars" and brace yourself.:D

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Haha same here, i just assumed it was a sort of chav, and 1 of those who like to sit in car parks all night, some with nice cars but have been chavved up to look stupid. Googled it and i'm not far of.
No problem, jmp, i bought plasti dip online but the seller didn't have the white i want for the cabinets so still need to get that ordered.
It's probably not the cheapest option, but the protection it gives and the fact that i can peel it off later sounds perfect

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Google "Barry boy cars" and brace yourself.:D

Whoa, wtf? Is that real? Like are these joke cars, or are the owners genuinely attempting to modify their car? That stuff trips me out...at what point would you be like yeah that's perfect I need to add a bunch of oversized plastic (and bad plastic at that) that in no way seems to fit these cars. I'm confused lol...

Last edited:

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
So i've dipped the mirror covers, gun metal grey, 5 coats. Heres a photo, 1 already glossed, the other matt. I'm thinking 3 coats of gloss for added protection. These have come out very nice, just don't know how they'll look on my white car. Will pop them on at the weekend

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
So i've dipped the mirror covers, gun metal grey, 5 coats. Heres a photo, 1 already glossed, the other matt. I'm thinking 3 coats of gloss for added protection. These have come out very nice, just don't know how they'll look on my white car. Will pop them on at the weekend

Are they both the same color? Is it just the one in front is shadowed? Looks good, only thing w/ plasti-dip, seems to orange peel a bit when you spray larger surfaces, unlike things like emblems which seem to take it nicely. Bet once you add some shine to them they'll look butter Btw is the gloss a plasti-dip product? By that I mean, does it go w/ the plasti-dip as a final stage if you desire more gloss? Was wondering if it would affect the removal process....

Last edited:

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
This is them finished, the gloss, is plasti-dip glossifier, the first photos i put on earlier was a cover without glossifier and a cover with 1 coat of glossifier. This is them now finished with 3 coats of glossifier.
This is my first time using plastidip, the rubbery grippy feel is quite strange compared to the smooth plastic i'm used to on the car, i think when i wash the car, the covers will need to drip dry, i imagine a cloth could catch on that grip and damage them, it took one can and a half or less of plastidip gun metal grey and less than 1 can of glossifier to finish these.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Are they both the same color? Is it just the one in front is shadowed? Looks good, only thing w/ plasti-dip, seems to orange peel a bit when you spray larger surfaces, unlike things like emblems which seem to take it nicely. Bet once you add some shine totem they'll look butter. Btw is the gloss a plasti-dip product? By that I mean, does it go w/ the plasti-dip as a final stage if you desire more gloss? Was wondering if it would affect the removal process....
They are the same colour, by eye they are pretty much the same, it seems the glossifier brings it out a bit more on camera for whatever reason, maybe something to do with reflections

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
Great thread!

I'm planning to do the same to my mirror caps.
How is the finish of the glossifier? Worth it?

Please post pictures of the car with the mirror caps on :D
The glossifier makes a big difference. I will get a photo up when they are on, hopefully at the weekend, was hoping to put them on at the same time as i get the wheels done but i'm guna need more plasti dip for the wheels, so i'll just put the covers on first.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
This is them finished, the gloss, is plasti-dip glossifier, the first photos i put on earlier was a cover without glossifier and a cover with 1 coat of glossifier. This is them now finished with 3 coats of glossifier.
This is my first time using plastidip, the rubbery grippy feel is quite strange compared to the smooth plastic i'm used to on the car, i think when i wash the car, the covers will need to drip dry, i imagine a cloth could catch on that grip and damage them, it took one can and a half or less of plastidip gun metal grey and less than 1 can of glossifier to finish these.

So to clarify [emoji6] you spray the color, several coats, then just like any clear coat as final step you add the glossifier (again a few coats)? Sorry, just not familiar w/ plasti-dip, never tried it out...

Oh and was going to say the best thing that I've found to dry off you car is either compressed air, or a leaf blower (electric not gas) to get the water off the car and out of all the nooks and crannies, especially in the side view mirrors, emblems, etc...The detailer that did the paint correction on my car said the less you touch your car the better, because it's washing and drying is where the majority of swirls and scratches come from. Not to mention it's a whole lot quicker and easier than drying it by hand. Plus it'll preserve that plasti-dip.

Mirrors are looking good btw. [emoji106] Big improvement w/ the glossifier.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
So to clarify [emoji6] you spray the color, several coats, then just like any clear coat as final step you add the glossifier (again a few coats)? Sorry, just not familiar w/ plasti-dip, never tried it out...

Oh and was going to say the best thing that I've found to dry off you car is either compressed air, or a leaf blower (electric not gas) to get the water off the car and out of all the nooks and crannies, especially in the side view mirrors, emblems, etc...The detailer that did the paint correction on my car said the less you touch your car the better, because it's washing and drying is where the majority of swirls and scratches come from. Not to mention it's a whole lot quicker and easier than drying it by hand. Plus it'll preserve that plasti-dip.

Mirrors are looking good btw. [emoji106] Big improvement w/ the glossifier.
Exactly, i think with the glossifier coat, you can get away with 1 coat but i did 3 just for hopefully a bit more protection. That's an idea for drying, i'll have to look into that

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Exactly, i think with the glossifier coat, you can get away with 1 coat but i did 3 just for hopefully a bit more protection. That's an idea for drying, i'll have to look into that

I went and bought a $70 cordless leaf blower and it works perfectly. You'll never go back [emoji6]After you use it you only have very minimal amount of spot drying and you're good to go.

danielmckendry

Ready to race!
I put them on today, photos arent the best but it's the best i could get today

I like it, these are replacing my carbon fibre covers, from a distance theres pretty much no difference, the difference is when close up these new ones are in perfect condition, the carbon ones did not hold up well.
My only concern is the plastidip is a dust magnet, ill drive around for a week or 2 with these on and see how they hold up, before i decide if thats what i want to put on the wheels otherwise ill have to find a matching 3m wrap colour