GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coilover Kit Information

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
My friends were put on roughly out of the box. I"m not sure if theres a recommended preload height or not. I look forward to getting some feedback from you on them.

His have been on since about the start of winter and they look pretty crusty already, hope they hold up in the long term.
That's odd. Mine out of the box were all spun pretty differently. The two fronts weren't even close and it looks low enough to have zero preload. I think this is a case of "just because the threads exist, doesn't mean you have to use them." I think the middle and corner balance from there will probably be the ideal, but we'll see.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
That's odd. Mine out of the box were all spun pretty differently. The two fronts weren't even close and it looks low enough to have zero preload. I think this is a case of "just because the threads exist, doesn't mean you have to use them." I think the middle and corner balance from there will probably be the ideal, but we'll see.

I found an article that said Bilstein and maybe others quote the lowering range of their systems from a base golf. Since the ride height of all 3 versions of the car are different I think that's what causes some of the problems with assumptions on lowering ranges.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I found an article that said Bilstein and maybe others quote the lowering range of their systems from a base golf. Since the ride height of all 3 versions of the car are different I think that's what causes some of the problems with assumptions on lowering ranges.
That sounds believable...

I got my pss10 on, and my mechanic set the ride height at 25 rear and 25.5 front (he just matched the 034 spring ride height). In the front there is tons of room to go lower, but the rear has maybe 1/3" lower max. In a week or so, I'll be back in for him to set the rake and corner balance.

The ride on them is fantastic. On 0F-0R it feels pretty smooth over bumps and has enough absorption to be comfy. They are much more comfortable than my 034 springs, by a massive margin. 2F-3R gives a sporty but smooth feel, a lot like a Porsche cayman. 5F-5R is very firm, but still tolerable. 10F-10R is very firm. On the stiffest setting, my back was aching after a particularly pothole riddled road.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
That sounds believable...

I got my pss10 on, and my mechanic set the ride height at 25 rear and 25.5 front (he just matched the 034 spring ride height). In the front there is tons of room to go lower, but the rear has maybe 1/3" lower max. In a week or so, I'll be back in for him to set the rake and corner balance.

The ride on them is fantastic. On 0F-0R it feels pretty smooth over bumps and has enough absorption to be comfy. They are much more comfortable than my 034 springs, by a massive margin. 2F-3R gives a sporty but smooth feel, a lot like a Porsche cayman. 5F-5R is very firm, but still tolerable. 10F-10R is very firm. On the stiffest setting, my back was aching after a particularly pothole riddled road.
Any chance you can snag some pics of the coils showing where the perches are and how much thread left up/down?

My friend has some knocking going on with his kit. I believe he's just too low since he said he thinks it's sway bar hitting axle or something up front

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Any chance you can snag some pics of the coils showing where the perches are and how much thread left up/down?

My friend has some knocking going on with his kit. I believe he's just too low since he said he thinks it's sway bar hitting axle or something up front

Once I get some decent weather/lighting I can get some shots.

Not sure what would be knocking with the sway bar unless the endlinks weren't installed properly. You said he's got slop in the spring at full droop... That would indicate it's way too low. That should be snugged until it's even and then given about 5mm or so of preload as a minimum. That wouldn't affect ride height very much, but would solve knocking. That lack of preload is the issue I had with the 034 springs and mss springs... Just slop and knocking from the front end, with a lot of crashing around town.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Is op still around? There's some wrong and out of date info that needs to be updated in that first post? Like real pss10 spring rate, and various ohlins specs...

I can confirm the b16 damptronic spring rates were confirmed this week by bilstein, so that's good at least :)

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
There are a few more budget coilovers that have been introduced since this thread was started. I'm looking at buying coilovers this month and have narrowed my choices to:

BC Racing: 7k/6k $995
MeisterR CRD: 7k/6k $995
EQT: 8k/5k $1100 (on sale right now)
ORT RS: Fully customizable rates $975
ORT TR: Full customizable rates $1195

I'm leaning towards the ORT TR, but am going to call ORT and ask what exactly the difference between the RS and TR is, and probably go for either 7k/6k or 8k/7k. ORT also lets you choose between their in house springs, Hyperco, Eibach or Swift so they really let you dial in your preferences.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Do any GTI owners have experience with the updated Ohlins Road and Track kit with the new front/rear 400lb springs? Is it still fairly comfortable/compliant on the street? Anyone know why they decided to raise the rear rate for our cars?

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
well i did it. i just ordered the KW clubsport 3way coilovers along with the verkline front tubular subframe and superpro front control arms for the golf R. cant wait to finally start replacing my beaten and wornout suspension!!

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
well i did it. i just ordered the KW clubsport 3way coilovers along with the verkline front tubular subframe and superpro front control arms for the golf R. cant wait to finally start replacing my beaten and wornout suspension!!
Nice! I'm curious how that subframe will play with the superpro arms. Why not go all verkline?

Going for the standard or custom spring and damping rates?

TheContender09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
Nice! I'm curious how that subframe will play with the superpro arms. Why not go all verkline?

Going for the standard or custom spring and damping rates?
i thought about all verkline, but those control arms are almost the same price as the subframe itself, to me it just didnt seem worth it.. as for spring rates and damping, im going with standard rates for now.

NightBlueMK7.5GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
i thought about all verkline, but those control arms are almost the same price as the subframe itself, to me it just didnt seem worth it.. as for spring rates and damping, im going with standard rates for now.
I had read the SuperPro arms wouldn't work with the Verkline subframe. Very jealous of your purchase though! I just ordered an Audi aluminum subframe as I couldn't rationalize the extra money for the Verkline and am trying to avoid increasing NVH via the urethane dogbone mount.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
1613535056603.png