GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil overs or Lowering springs

Smithj

Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6 TDI 7.5
i want to lower my golf tdi mk7.5 1.6 match edition,
any recommendations for good lowering springs?
i know coil overs are probably the better option but for the price difference i think lowering springs would be better,
also can’t decide whether to go 30 or 40 mm.
my rear suspension is a torsion suspension i’m pretty sure

itskohler

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 1998 4runn
A lot goes into suspension upgrades, nearly all of it personal preference. The drop is entirely up to you; your wheels choice, fitment, and desired look are unique to you. Bear in mind that springs with that amount of drop will wear your stock struts out pretty quickly. There are kits of springs and struts, called cup kits I believe, that match a strut with the spring, allowing you to achieve a high level of performance and longevity. Coils usually are much more involved since you choose how much to lower it, then adjust it as needed.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Struts should be paired and replaced with springs. You can replace just the springs but know that causes the stock struts to prematurely fail. You car will ride like shit and we will all judge you for it.

I recommend doing it right the first time and avoiding the just lowering springs option. Outside of that, it's all based on what you want out of your suspension.

dvw.r

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7.5 R
Bought lowering springs, installed the day after. And after that day I bought coilovers.
Not a waste, just a lesson.
Do it right the first time, like @dtfd said, springs + shocks or coilovers.

dvw.r

tigeo

Autocross Champion
i want to lower my golf tdi mk7.5 1.6 match edition,
any recommendations for good lowering springs?
i know coil overs are probably the better option but for the price difference i think lowering springs would be better,
also can’t decide whether to go 30 or 40 mm.
my rear suspension is a torsion suspension i’m pretty sure
How many miles on this/age?

Eibach and H&R make good springs. Upgrading dampers is always a nice to have but if your dampers are newer its not as big of a deal as folks make it out to be online. There is a saved labor component to consider as well if you do springs then want something more later. On these cars, the lower you go the less bump travel you have and the more bouncy/harsh the ride will be by nature of you not having much bump travel/using the jounce bumpers which are really just progressive springs that ramp up quickly - this goes for both springs and coilovers (coils with body adjustment for height help with this issue).

Folks use coilovers mainly to be able to dial in ride height and so if that's your goal go for it but a cup kit like I run, B8s + H&Rs, is every bit as good w/r to ride quality as a set of basic coilovers less the heigh adjustment. I'm tracking my car with this setup.

Here is a video of when I upgraded to Bilstein B8s, some interesting bits w/r to using springs w/stock dampers. Start around 7:00 for some relevant info on using springs w/stock dampers. Please like/sub!

Last edited:

Smithj

Car(s)
VW Golf 1.6 TDI 7.5
How many miles on this/age?

Eibach and H&R make good springs. Upgrading dampers is always a nice to have but if your dampers are newer its not as big of a deal as folks make it out to be online. There is a saved labor component to consider as well if you do springs then want something more later. On these cars, the lower you go the less bump travel you have and the more bouncy/harsh the ride will be by nature of you not having much bump travel/using the jounce bumpers which are really just progressive springs that ramp up quickly - this goes for both springs and coilovers (coils with body adjustment for height help with this issue).

Folks use coilovers mainly to be able to dial in ride height and so if that's your goal go for it but a cup kit like I run, B8s + H&Rs, is every bit as good w/r to ride quality as a set of basic coilovers less the heigh adjustment. I'm tracking my car with this setup.

Here is a video of when I upgraded to Bilstein B8s, some interesting bits w/r to using springs w/stock dampers. Start around 7:00 for some relevant info on using springs w/stock dampers. Please like/sub!

i have 40,000 miles on the clock, 69 plate golf, i think i’d be alright with just the springs as i’m only lowering 30 mil

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
I have personally never, nor have I know anyone ever to be happy long term with throwing lowering springs on OEM struts on various platforms.

Depending on the spring rate and drop, you would probably be fine for quite awhile if your OEM struts are in good condition, but long term it can end up being just as expensive if not more depending on the future route you decide to take.

Quality struts to match a spring combination is hardly a cheap option and can easily cost as much as a decent set of coilovers.

Something I don’t see mentioned a lot is thinking about the long term cost. Aftermarket struts and coilovers don’t mean you never have to spend another dime. At some point, those struts will need to be replaced again or those coilovers rebuilt. New struts can be expensive if they just don’t offer inserts and coilover service typically means sending the whole assembly out to the manufacturer.

I would personally almost always advocate for a quality set of coilovers. They allow a lot more flexibility but I do see value in the simplicity of a properly matched strut and spring setup.

I really wish more companies did what Tein did with their Flex Z and A series. A proper coilover with inserts that cost about $100 bucks at least at time time. You ever need to service a corner, buy a new insert and replace.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I've had VWR springs for 10k miles without any issues, been very happy with them. Will the struts need to be replaced in a few years? Probably, but for now they still feel good as new
@GTI Jake used VWR springs w/ stock struts for nearly 100k miles and when he finally replaced the struts they were "weak but not blown"

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
IDK I first went H&R springs on stock struts and was like that for probably 30k miles, before going with coilovers. Car was a nice ride height, drove well and the ride was surprisingly good.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I've had VWR springs for 10k miles without any issues, been very happy with them. Will the struts need to be replaced in a few years? Probably, but for now they still feel good as new
@GTI Jake used VWR springs w/ stock struts for nearly 100k miles and when he finally replaced the struts they were "weak but not blown"

this is right after rolling out of a tire shop so don't mind the dirty/scratched up wheel but here's what the clearance looks like with 235's (without spacers). no rubbing and no need to do the fender screw mod.

20230303_093420.jpg

20230222_162054.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
IF you go springs, please don't repeat the mistakes we've all done. Throw in correct shocks to accompany the springs, otherwise you'll be doing double work as your oem shocks will most certainly wear out. I've done this so many times it hurts.

If you go coilovers, save and spend the money for GOOD coilovers with dampening adjustment and are recommended (don't chance on no-name coilovers).

Difference naturally is with coilovers you can adjust height if you so choose. Once you dial in the settings on coilovers though, if you make large height adjustments, you would need to "reset" the coilover preload

tigeo

Autocross Champion
i have 40,000 miles on the clock, 69 plate golf, i think i’d be alright with just the springs as i’m only lowering 30 mil
It comes down to time/money. Springs are a few '00 and if you are a DIY'er free install. The issue is, you have the struts and shocks out so the labor is a freebie but sure, the parts are not free...a set of Konis/Bilsteins are about $650 last I checked. As is being said, a set of budget coilovers is about the same price but I'll contend a cup kit will be higher quality than many of the cheaper/budget coilovers - many are just junk. I think a good benchmark of an entry level coilover are the Bilstein B14s, basically an Eibach springs and B8 damper with adjustable pre-load to set ride height. About $1,100. I was fine on the stock dampers and springs and even tracked it that way without issue but did end up going to B8s b/c why not, the ride is a bit more controlled at speed with them for sure vs. stock. Plenty of folks fully sending it on the track in daily-driven cars on cup kits or even stock suspension.

MK7HEVN

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I have bought H&R lowering springs for my MK7. Now I need a shop to install them. The problem I'm running into is shops don't want to install customer's parts that they bring in citing various liabilities. How can I get the springs I want and still get them installed? The shops here (US) don't offer the H&R springs (that I can tell) and want people to buy their parts.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to get a shop to install them and maybe not guarantee the parts or something? I hate to think I've either got to install them myself or buy inferior springs not necessarily meant for my car...

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have bought H&R lowering springs for my MK7. Now I need a shop to install them. The problem I'm running into is shops don't want to install customer's parts that they bring in citing various liabilities. How can I get the springs I want and still get them installed? The shops here (US) don't offer the H&R springs (that I can tell) and want people to buy their parts.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to get a shop to install them and maybe not guarantee the parts or something? I hate to think I've either got to install them myself or buy inferior springs not necessarily meant for my car...
Weird. My shop installed H&Rs that they sourced.