GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb AP and storing tunes from various tuners

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I’m currently tuned via a Cobb AP. If I were to get a tune by APR, which requires a dealer install, would I be able to store that tune on my Cobb AP and revert back to the old tune if I wanted?
Or, the real reason for my question - this DTR turbo APR is offering has me curious, but I really want the ability to switch between a 91 and E85 tune. If I have the ECU tuned for one fuel, can I save that tune to the AP, and then flash the ECU for the other fuel and have the ability to switch back and forth between the two APR tunes using the AP?

cr_sti

Go Kart Newbie
I’m currently tuned via a Cobb AP. If I were to get a tune by APR, which requires a dealer install, would I be able to store that tune on my Cobb AP and revert back to the old tune if I wanted?
Or, the real reason for my question - this DTR turbo APR is offering has me curious, but I really want the ability to switch between a 91 and E85 tune. If I have the ECU tuned for one fuel, can I save that tune to the AP, and then flash the ECU for the other fuel and have the ability to switch back and forth between the two APR tunes using the AP?
No

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
To further expand on this. The cobb documentation sometime states that it will backup your original tune. This used to be the case with older ECUs that had the ability to be "read", but a lot of modern ECUs, to include this one-- do not have a read capability. So by "backing up" your file, all it is doing is reading the box code and saving that info. So when you go to uninstall the AP, it knows which stock file to flash (all stored internal on the AP as shipped).

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
To further expand on this. The cobb documentation sometime states that it will backup your original tune. This used to be the case with older ECUs that had the ability to be "read", but a lot of modern ECUs, to include this one-- do not have a read capability. So by "backing up" your file, all it is doing is reading the box code and saving that info. So when you go to uninstall the AP, it knows which stock file to flash (all stored internal on the AP as shipped).
So if I’m understanding correctly, if someone bought a used car with an unknown aftermarket tune installed and purchased a Cobb AP with a (known) different tune, the AP isn’t going to save the unknown tune? The AP will flash whatever stock ECU tune is on file for that car’s VIN if reverting back to the “original” tune?

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
So if I’m understanding correctly, if someone bought a used car with an unknown aftermarket tune installed and purchased a Cobb AP with a (known) different tune, the AP isn’t going to save the unknown tune? The AP will flash whatever stock ECU tune is on file for that car’s VIN if reverting back to the “original” tune?
Basically-- but technically it's not based on VIN, but what the box code is read out as when you go to install/flash with the AP. Either way yes-- the "unknown aftermarket tune" will be gone forever once you flash over it.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Basically-- but technically it's not based on VIN, but what the box code is read out as when you go to install/flash with the AP. Either way yes-- the "unknown aftermarket tune" will be gone forever once you flash over it.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.