GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Accessport 7-speed DSG TCU tune

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
Have any of you tried the recently released Cobb DSG TCU tunes for the 7-speed DSG?

If so let’s hear what you think about it!

Have any of the tuners released their own versions of the 7-speed DSG tunes?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
This is what I said in the other thread, and I know Ed from EQT is currently working on his DQ381 tune.

I got the new Cobb 7speed dsg tune and it is working as advertised.(v100--20A sport flashed) I definitely notice increased clamping with harder faster shifts, shiftpoint in D has moved up to around 2-2200rpm with light throttle inputs, sport mode stays the same.

Only downsides I see is that it still upshifts early with ACC active and 1-2 upshift/downshift needs some improvement.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/golf-gtir-7-speed-dsg-support/

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed
This is what I said in the other thread, and I know Ed from EQT is currently working on his DQ381 tune.

So you are liking it? I’m debating ordering it right now.

Weird how they chose to change drive and not sport...

FineBottledWater

Passed Driver's Ed
Speaking from experience, I would hold off until Ed from EQT is done with his TCU tune.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
So you are liking it? I’m debating ordering it right now.

Weird how they chose to change drive and not sport...
Yeah Im happy with it D is completely usable now, but with shitty weather and Hakka R2 winters I can not do any performance testing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Speaking from experience, I would hold off until Ed from EQT is done with his TCU tune.

He's going to have to purchase the DSG tune from Cobb or from Cobb through EQT first before getting the EQT DSG tune. So if he wants a DSG tune might as well get the Cobb now and be ready for EQT's DSG tune.

thunderstruck1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Is the Cobb tune good enough in and of itself? I am late to the party and missed the deal from EQ where they apparently gave their tune free with purchase of the AccessPort. OTOH, I still have my ED cable from my 2016.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is the Cobb tune good enough in and of itself? I am late to the party and missed the deal from EQ where they apparently gave their tune free with purchase of the AccessPort. OTOH, I still have my ED cable from my 2016.

If the Cobb DSG tune is the same as it is for other model years then it most likely gear hunts and is annoying.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Yes it is, the Cobb sport tune works pretty god in D and does not gearhunt.

Gojiragojira

Passed Driver's Ed

I went ahead and got it. Loving it so far. I haven’t experienced any gear hunting.

Shifts are noticeably faster and feel lightning quick. Clutch engagement is much faster off the line with significantly reduced hesitation.

For the first time the DSG in my 2019 has farted. Especially noticing it on 1-2, but I haven’t had a chance to really push the car in higher gears very much.

GTI_Joe1

Ready to race!
I concur with Gojiragojira. I tried IE and APR DQ381 tunes prior to Cobb and dispite the claims, Cobb is the only one that has noticably quicker shifts. In my opinion it's easily the best of the 3. The only major downfall of it, like the other two, is it doesn't downshift soon enough into 6th/5th/4th and once you coast/brake down you end up having to lugg the engine or paddle down. Definitely no gear hunting.