GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch Suggestions?

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
ACT clutches will get my vote every time.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Bringing it back from the dead, because...

The Stage 4 Ringer kit didn't last very long. It's been installed for a year, and only saw about 3 months of hybrid turbo power, and it slips every time I try to do a 4th gear pull. Even if I start it at almost 4k RPM.

Back to the drawing board.
When I went ringer I first ordered the stage 4, then after discussion with Mike and telling him of how my fx500 (clutchmaster ceramic 8 puck segmented disc with the HD pressure plate) did wear start to slip easily with hybrid power due to the way the e888.3 setup brings TQ much more abrupt than the previous TSI cars (Many of his ratings started with the previous gen motors, just like how that rsr clutch ended up lowering thier ratings for a mqb car compared to the earlier cars using the same clutch)
IMG_9791.jpeg

Since we knew the stage 4 used the HD plate he did recommend for me to update the order to the stage 5 that uses a heavier pressure plate.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Bringing it back from the dead, because...

The Stage 4 Ringer kit didn't last very long. It's been installed for a year, and only saw about 3 months of hybrid turbo power, and it slips every time I try to do a 4th gear pull. Even if I start it at almost 4k RPM.

Back to the drawing board.
How much power were you putting through that clutch? I've got a stage 4 on my Mk8 with Pmax and am just curious since mine has been installed for about two months now.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
When I went ringer I first ordered the stage 4, then after discussion with Mike and telling him of how my fx500 (clutchmaster ceramic 8 puck segmented disc with the HD pressure plate) did wear start to slip easily with hybrid power due to the way the e888.3 setup brings TQ much more abrupt than the previous TSI cars (Many of his ratings started with the previous gen motors, just like how that rsr clutch ended up lowering thier ratings for a mqb car compared to the earlier cars using the same clutch)

Since we knew the stage 4 used the HD plate he did recommend for me to update the order to the stage 5 that uses a heavier pressure plate.

So in essence, I got the right clutch with the wrong pressure plate?

I'd like to keep the DMFW and I know that limits my options. I'm hesitant to pick up another Ringer given how it's going with the first one but I may have to try it.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
How much power were you putting through that clutch? I've got a stage 4 on my Mk8 with Pmax and am just curious since mine has been installed for about two months now.

Never had it dyno'd but it's topping out at about 33psi on a standard Vortex on 93. Torque is probably in the low to mid 400's and HP is probably in the same general area

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk8 GTI
Never had it dyno'd but it's topping out at about 33psi on a standard Vortex on 93. Torque is probably in the low to mid 400's and HP is probably in the same general area
I sure hope I get more life out of mine. My Pmax should be very close to the power that you're seeing. I haven't seen any independent dyno tests on a Mk8 with a pmax, but Unitronic showed mid 400's for hp and torque at the crank on the 91 tune.

You drive your car hard on a consistent basis, or did you mix in a lot of daily duties?

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I sure hope I get more life out of mine. My Pmax should be very close to the power that you're seeing. I haven't seen any independent dyno tests on a Mk8 with a pmax, but Unitronic showed mid 400's for hp and torque at the crank on the 91 tune.

You drive your car hard on a consistent basis, or did you mix in a lot of daily duties?

I don't track it at all. It's my daily do everything car.

I'd say it's a 80/20 mix of normal fall-in-line commuting and spirited driving

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So in essence, I got the right clutch with the wrong pressure plate?

I'd like to keep the DMFW and I know that limits my options. I'm hesitant to pick up another Ringer given how it's going with the first one but I may have to try it.
I think the dmf adds to the premature slipping and lower holding… at this point I think my DMF (the 3rd in the car lol) is pretty noisy again from the aggressive clutch.

But yeah, if you’re not confident in the ringer already no reason not to try a new one. But it’s deff. Should be an overkill “rated” one cause non of those numbers seem to matter on these cars lol.

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
I think the dmf adds to the premature slipping and lower holding… at this point I think my DMF (the 3rd in the car lol) is pretty noisy again from the aggressive clutch.

But yeah, if you’re not confident in the ringer already no reason not to try a new one. But it’s deff. Should be an overkill “rated” one cause non of those numbers seem to matter on these cars lol.

That's why I bought it initially, it should've been way more torque holding capacity than I needed.

So it sounds like my solution, regardless of which clutch I go with, is to go single mass flywheel. And if with Ringer, the stage 5 kit without the self adjusting pressure plate

ACT clutches will get my vote every time.

I'm tempted. Especially if I'm switching to a SMF either way

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That's why I bought it initially, it should've been way more torque holding capacity than I needed.

So it sounds like my solution, regardless of which clutch I go with, is to go single mass flywheel. And if with Ringer, the stage 5 kit without the self adjusting pressure plate

You’d have to go with with the “extreme” option from ACT though… the regular one that claims 500+ TQ I doubt will handle a hybrid for a long time, I’ve driven one and it’s a great feel, but you can tell with how soft the pressure plate is and smooth the disc material is it’s not gonna hold like crazy

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Southbend stage three daily. Set it and forget it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Southbend stage three daily. Set it and forget it.

While these manufactures “ratings” are to be taken as a couple grains of salt, considering they claim that to be a 500tq (at the flywheel) rating for the daily. a healthy vortex setup is getting very much on that cusp esp if he’s at 33psi already with 93, If he ever added some E and got the timing turned up it would be worse… much better to go endurance or drag if sticking with stage 3 from SB/exedy.

That hpa hybrid and Canada fuel though, it’s plenty safe 😂. If with a diggs turned to 11 file

Ezekiel81923

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Volkswagen GTI
a healthy vortex setup is getting very much on that cusp esp if he’s at 33psi already with 93, If he ever added some E and got the timing turned up it would be worse… much better to go endurance or drag if sticking with stage 3 from SB/exedy.

Walnut blasting and MPI install scheduled in two weeks so yea, more spice coming. Need a greater torque holding capacity than we currently (thought) we have.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Here is the ACT Clutch kit I started with. I had 65k miles or so of spirited driving and frequent pulls from 2nd and 3rd. IDK if you remember my post but the clutch was fine until I let my wife drive it. She thought second gear was first and for 2 weeks of being mistreated and being started out from a stop in second gear, the clutch finally gave up. She drives spiritedly so those were basically hard take offs in second with enough rpm to carry the higher gear start, instead of being in first. I've asked her several times didnt it seem odd that she was having to rev to 3k rpm to keep the car from stalling at take off? She was oh I wasnt thinking about it lol. The good thing is she aware of the mistake now and had to watch with me as the $ for the new ACT Clutch kit left the bank account.

https://www.amazon.com/ACT-Engagement-Exclusivediaphragm-Carefully-Engineered/dp/B07FBJJ8D9