GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch slipping after DTUK Tuning Box

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
Right then guys. Looks like my manual 2014 Mk7 Golf GTI PP has a slipping clutch now.

I fitted the tuning box on Sunday morning, and have been messing around with the various settings on the box. Was very impressed with it, especially the amount of power and torque it delivers. ;)

But, yesterday whilst driving home, civilised, I noticed the clutch slipping in the higher gears, nearer the 2000rpm rev range. So I pulled over, and turned the box completely off. But, it's still slipping in standard tune !

I doubt the tuning box has done any damage in 4 days, as I haven't really gone for it or hammered the car since fitting the box. The clutch obviously can't handle the torque increase, which I thought would of been ok with 307bhp and
337lb ft, being a GTI and a performance pack version.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Thanks in advanced.

Rich.

Gnasher

Ready to race!
Yep, identical slippage with the same tuning box on a PP.

You'll get it with most tunes on a manual as there is very little spare capacity on the clutch.

I think I caused mine to happen as I had my foot resting on the clutch initially and after that it slipped in 6th at 2000-2500 revs at medium to high throttle openings. It's not too hard to drive around, just need to change down rather than boot it at low revs in 6th.

It's a problem with the clutch, not the tuning box though. Might be worth speaking to DTUK to ask which map gives the gains higher up but leaves the lower rev ranges close to stock.

bradsmgads

Passed Driver's Ed
im in the market for a clutch or clutch kit. I have been told the southbend clutch kits are a great drop in, but im not sure I want to pony out $1400 if there is a $500 option that uses the stock pressure plate and flywheel. Any ideas?