GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch and brake fluid flush

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
So my car is coming up on the 3 year mark which means I will have to bleed my brakes and clutch.

Does anyone know how to access the clutch bleeder nipple? I usually bleed my clutch at the same time as my brakes with previous cars but am unfamiliar with the process. I looked online and on YouTube and only found clear instructions for brakes, not clutch bleeding.
Is it possible to keep all wheels on for the bleed process or do I have to take it off? This is my first time trying to bleed a gti.

Secondly for those who pay others to do it, what’s the ball park cost? I would like to get a feel to see if it would be worth it to just pay someone to do it.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
The nipple is on a bleeder block on top of the trans, just forward of the shifter assembly. Remove your intake and you'll be staring right at it.

A common mod is to replace it with a speed bleeder so air doesn't get back in the system, reference the below thread. Lots more discussion in the drivetrain forum!

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.ph...block-how-to-bleed-system.333638/post-6881364
I’m a bit confuse on what a speed bleeder is and what it does for you. Is this like an attachment people replace for oil drain plugs so they don’t have to deal with wrenching the nut/bolt?
Also, can’t you just use a pressure bleeder like motive to force it out?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’m a bit confuse on what a speed bleeder is and what it does for you. Is this like an attachment people replace for oil drain plugs so they don’t have to deal with wrenching the nut/bolt?
Also, can’t you just use a pressure bleeder like motive to force it out?
Yes, the advantage of a speed bleeder for either the clutch or calipers is that it allows you to do a gravity bleed on your own.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I second the Speed Bleeder suggestion. They allow you to bleed hydraulic systems on your own without needing another person there. Works great on brake lines where you unscrew the bleeder, sit in the car and pump the brake. Add brake fluid to the master cylinder as you get the air bubbles out and, when done, tighten the bleeder and you're good to go. I put them on my Corvette and they worked great.

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
I would highly recommend a power/positive pressure bleeder (Motive) to DIY. Makes it super easy to do it by yourself, no pedal pumping and you don't need to rely on check valves.

If you are near Longmont you can borrow mine.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I would highly recommend a power/positive pressure bleeder (Motive) to DIY. Makes it super easy to do it by yourself, no pedal pumping and you don't need to rely on check valves.

If you are near Longmont you can borrow mine.
Thanks for the offer man. When you did your brakes fluid flush could you get away with leaving the wheels on?

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
I've never tried it with the wheels on. I guess if you can get a wrench to the bleeder bolt it should work. I'm assuming you don't have a garage/jack stands? For a point of reference, I had the dealer in Boulder change my clutch/brake fluid before I had a garage, it was $145 a few years ago. I've started tracking my GTI since then so I do brake fluid twice a year with Motul RBF 600 for about $45 total. Should be cheaper if you use regular DOT 4 fluid.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I've never tried it with the wheels on. I guess if you can get a wrench to the bleeder bolt it should work. I'm assuming you don't have a garage/jack stands? For a point of reference, I had the dealer in Boulder change my clutch/brake fluid before I had a garage, it was $145 a few years ago. I've started tracking my GTI since then so I do brake fluid twice a year with Motul RBF 600 for about $45 total. Should be cheaper if you use regular DOT 4 fluid.
Aren't you in a location where it's relatively dry? Two brake fluid changes per year seems awfully excessive. I know it's hygroscopic and absorbs moisture over time but I've never seen my brakes have issues here in Southern California near the beach. I only change fluid when I do a complete brake job (both rotors and pads) and that's usually few and far between. Just wondering.

BeeryTravler

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI SE
Aren't you in a location where it's relatively dry? Two brake fluid changes per year seems awfully excessive. I know it's hygroscopic and absorbs moisture over time but I've never seen my brakes have issues here in Southern California near the beach. I only change fluid when I do a complete brake job (both rotors and pads) and that's usually few and far between. Just wondering.
The HPDE school I go to wants it flushed within 90 days before the events. That is the only reason, I haven't actually seen any issues.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
I have 2 renstands that I use in junction with the regular jackstands. I’m just being lazy, if I have to take off the wheels, then I guess I’m taking off the wheels. Cool, thanks for the info man.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I have 2 renstands that I use in junction with the regular jackstands. I’m just being lazy, if I have to take off the wheels, then I guess I’m taking off the wheels. Cool, thanks for the info man.

I've just down mine a month ago or so, can't imagine bleeding the calipers with the wheels on, on jackstands. Even if you could somehow get a wrench back there, I think it would be such a monumental fiddly pain in the ass that the time you think you could save by leaving the wheels on would actually be lost and then some.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
I'm about to do the service myself and I'm not sure what order would I start with when doing both brakes and clutch flush. I've read you're supposed to start from FL,FR,RL,RR when flushing brakes but nothing on the order if doing the clutch. Would it make sense to flush the brakes first then do the clutch, or vice versa?

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I'm about to do the service myself and I'm not sure what order would I start with when doing both brakes and clutch flush. I've read you're supposed to start from FL,FR,RL,RR when flushing brakes but nothing on the order if doing the clutch. Would it make sense to flush the brakes first then do the clutch, or vice versa?
Aren't they separate systems? Shouldn't matter.