GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clubsport S Muffler with EQT Burbles

reddaugherty

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hi, is anyone here running a Clubsport S muffler on their GTI with stock downpipe and resonator and have the EQT (or similar) burbles option? How noticeable are the burbles and do you think they are worth it? EQT is having a sale right now that makes it cheaper for me to add the burbles so I am considering the options change. Thanks!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Regardless of the axle back your burble (eqt tunes are pop n bangs more than burbles…) will not be very audible with a stock down pipe.

My tune when in sport mode has an actual burble setup that never is a Loud pop even with my 4” catless DP and borla xr1 mufflers but still very audible. when I run my stock DP for a few weeks per year for smog testing you 100% cannot even hear the “over run” burbles sounds at all.

Edit : looks like the BANGS are so aggressive on that tune that even with a stock DP is pop/bang/pop/bang - lol.

These are mine with a catless setup VS the above with the stock (2 900 cell cats) lol.

Last edited:

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Regardless of the axle back your burble (eqt tunes are pop n bangs more than burbles…) will not be very audible with a stock down pipe.

My tune when in sport mode has an actual burble setup that never is a Loud pop even with my 4” catless DP and borla xr1 mufflers but still very audible. when I run my stock DP for a few weeks per year for smog testing you 100% cannot even hear the “over run” burbles sounds at all.
What tune do you have?

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I feel embarrassed when I hear a GTI with burbles. That being said do what makes you happy, I’d imagine they’d be louder with a cs exhaust vs stock. Might be fun for a few days then get old.

I actually had some young kid cruise right next to me last night, down the main road in my area. He had I want to say a 2006 Mk5 GTI tuned and otherwise looking beat up (fenders different paint color), car looking dirty. He had the pops tune and literally just kept going off as soon as he lined up with me. I didn't hear him so much as he was just cruising but once I got his attention, he just had to keep doing it obnoxiously. Like dude, I don't give a f**K about it. Your stg2 Mk5 tune probably won't even keep up with my quiet stg1 mk7 tune and you're just being again, annoying as f**k (listen, even if he had big turbo and the pops/bang tune, I still think his car is a POS). After letting this last for a few seconds, I dropped from 45 to 35 just to let him go way ahead of me and I don't have to hear that stupid sh!t. He probably thought, waaaaait, whaaaat? I thought you loved iiit???

It's not even that I totally can't stand the pops type tunes entirely. V8s naturally doing it is awesome and mostly it is the gurgle that I like. Pops are annoying. When I had the Srt4, I mostly had a gurgle and when it would pop or bang, it had a lot more bass to it. These tunes I've been hearing on VWs with it are mostly like annoying shotgun sounds or pistol shots. They're just annoying and not clean at all. /endrant.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I actually had some young kid cruise right next to me last night, down the main road in my area. He had I want to say a 2006 Mk5 GTI tuned and otherwise looking beat up (fenders different paint color), car looking dirty. He had the pops tune and literally just kept going off as soon as he lined up with me. I didn't hear him so much as he was just cruising but once I got his attention, he just had to keep doing it obnoxiously. Like dude, I don't give a f**K about it. Your stg2 Mk5 tune probably won't even keep up with my quiet stg1 mk7 tune and you're just being again, annoying as f**k (listen, even if he had big turbo and the pops/bang tune, I still think his car is a POS). After letting this last for a few seconds, I dropped from 45 to 35 just to let him go way ahead of me and I don't have to hear that stupid sh!t. He probably thought, waaaaait, whaaaat? I thought you loved iiit???

It's not even that I totally can't stand the pops type tunes entirely. V8s naturally doing it is awesome and mostly it is the gurgle that I like. Pops are annoying. When I had the Srt4, I mostly had a gurgle and when it would pop or bang, it had a lot more bass to it. These tunes I've been hearing on VWs with it are mostly like annoying shotgun sounds or pistol shots. They're just annoying and not clean at all. /endrant.
I have a neighbor that lives uphill from me and comes past in a very nice c6 grand sport. His open exhaust produces such a beautiful muffled and deep sound when he’s off throttle and letting the engine brake. Not a pop or bang, more of a deep muffled series of thumps….oh Man that sounds perfect. You couldn’t even notice it unless you’re listening for it. I love that and loathe programmed pops and bangs that we have on our ea888. So then, to each his or her own.

Get the exhaust that makes you happy. Make your mark, do what makes you happy, just remember that getting attention for your exhaust isn’t always a good thing. If you come to my hood with an open exhaust on a non-exotic 4 cyl engine, I’ll do my best to meet you at the road with a big thumbs-down.

Programmed burbles =
1654105871942.gif

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I feel embarrassed when I hear a GTI with burbles. That being said do what makes you happy, I’d imagine they’d be louder with a cs exhaust vs stock. Might be fun for a few days then get old.

Man, I think hearing Japanese cars with the pops and bangs are the weirdest since the majority sound like amplified lawn mowers.

I recall around 2010 when folks were tuning their Acura RSX-S to get the pops and bangs. It was so weird seeing a car with those curves dropping farts. I just never understood it. Like, if you could manage to take an annoying engine and make it even more annoying, somehow they accomplished that and the fanbois loved them for it.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I recall around 2010 when folks were tuning their Acura RSX-S to get the pops and bangs. It was so weird seeing a car with those curves dropping farts. I just never understood it. Like, if you could manage to take an annoying engine and make it even more annoying, somehow they accomplished that and the fanbois loved them for it.
What car have you seen with an overrun file that looked and sounded good though? After the full experience, I think it's all silly. Saw a corvette and a jaguar recently and both seemed like they were trying too hard.

FarSolar

Car(s)
2018 GTI SE
Hi, is anyone here running a Clubsport S muffler on their GTI with stock downpipe and resonator and have the EQT (or similar) burbles option? How noticeable are the burbles and do you think they are worth it? EQT is having a sale right now that makes it cheaper for me to add the burbles so I am considering the options change. Thanks!
I have a TCR muffler for the mk7.5, which is the same thing as the mk7 clubsport S muffler as far as I know. I have the stage 1 EQT tune with the "burbles" option in sport mode. They're definitely more of a crackle/pop and bang than burbles. Even with the stock downpipe I think they sound pretty loud and are pretty obviously programmed in. I think it can sound okay sometimes when you let off closer to 3k RPM and just get one or two pops but I usually drive fairly aggressively when I'm in sport mode. It'll let off a big chain of loud bangs that I don't enjoy much. I'd much prefer if EQT could release a version that was more like the burbles you get at slow speeds right after a cold start.

For now I've been using the custom mode with everything but "drivetrain" set to sport to avoid the pops. Driving through canyons and making gunshot sounds at every corner got old pretty fast. Maybe you'll like that but I thought it sounded pretty obnoxious.

reddaugherty

Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a TCR muffler for the mk7.5, which is the same thing as the mk7 clubsport S muffler as far as I know. I have the stage 1 EQT tune with the "burbles" option in sport mode. They're definitely more of a crackle/pop and bang than burbles. Even with the stock downpipe I think they sound pretty loud and are pretty obviously programmed in. I think it can sound okay sometimes when you let off closer to 3k RPM and just get one or two pops but I usually drive fairly aggressively when I'm in sport mode. It'll let off a big chain of loud bangs that I don't enjoy much. I'd much prefer if EQT could release a version that was more like the burbles you get at slow speeds right after a cold start.

For now I've been using the custom mode with everything but "drivetrain" set to sport to avoid the pops. Driving through canyons and making gunshot sounds at every corner got old pretty fast. Maybe you'll like that but I thought it sounded pretty obnoxious.

I just bought the burbles in sport tune as it was on sale and I'd say that I have had pretty much the same experience as you. For reference, I have the Clubsport S muffler with a stock resonator and downpipe. The pops and bangs were super fun at first and put a huge grin on my face but now I find them a bit obnoxious when driving around town so I keep them off most of the time. Also, I cringe at the fact that each time I hear a pop or bang it's super expensive gas being burnt for no reason :ROFLMAO: Thank you for your input and sharing your experience!